The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cat Litter

What kind of cat litter do you use?

I'm looking for something that smells nice (I have a small apartment), keeps down odor, clumps, is inexpensive, and does not track.

I scoop the box at least once a day but the Tidy Cat litter tracks clear into my living room. I am trying Cat's Pride which doesn't track as much but smells terrible.

I use Woody Pet for the bunny but when I use it for the cats I either have to wet it down all the way to fit it through the scoop or I waste half of it.

I love World's Best! It's expensive, but lasts a long time, so I think it's worth it. It doesn't track too much, and the multi-cat version really cuts down on odor.

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I use horse bedding pellets for my three. They smell great, are easy to sift, last longer than other litters, but don't clump. You just mix dampened litter with a small amount of fresh pellets and pick out the poops. I'd never use anything else.
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

Arm & Hammer. Tracks about the same as most, but I have a "catch mat" which does a decent job. Not pricey, clumps well, smells nice.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I loved Tidy Cat in terms of the smell, but the tracking, ugh! Arm & Hammer is terrible in my experience. The smell was quite bad. The Fresh Step isn't bad, just kind of dusty.

I have heard good things about Worlds Best and Precious Cat. Looking to try one of those next.

Scoop Away unscented. I'm not thrilled with how dusty it is, but my boxes are in my apartment's living room, feet from the front door and NO ONE knows I have cats until one comes out.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by boosma47 View Post
    I use horse bedding pellets for my three. They smell great, are easy to sift, last longer than other litters, but don't clump. You just mix dampened litter with a small amount of fresh pellets and pick out the poops. I'd never use anything else.
    This is the only way to fly.

The best ride is the stuff that is pure pine. IME, it doesn't matter if it all turns to sawdust. Many times, cats will leave a pee spot that soaks in well. Then you just scoop that out.

You can use wood pellets-- the kind for burning-- but it might not be all pine.

Cat wants pine. Cat will be pleased if it's $5 for a 40# bag (because "the help" will be pleased and take good care of the letterbox).
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I just feel like my cat would be like "wtf is this?" if I put pine pellets in there. Hm. I have wanted to try them, though.

I used Feline Pine for a while and at first my cat WAS like "wtf is this?" but she got over it.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Well those cats are uncultured and uneducated. You must send them to finishing school where they learn the virtues of pine.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I use Blue's Naturally Fresh cat litter. The $17.99 size bag lasts me 3 months for one cat.
    Within 5 minutes of my cat going I can practically touch my nose to the litterbox and smell NOTHING!
    It's made from walnut shells, so it's all natural and the color hides the "deposits", and doesn't stick to the box like clay litter (yuck!) I also like that its pretty much dust free so I don't have to cover my face while I scoop.

Tracking is by far less than tidy cats (what I used to use), but because the granules are dark you will see them. I use one of those no track mats outside the box and don't have a problem
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Hm, well then, I suppose it is time to send my darling feline to finishing school.

You can wet the pine pellets and they fluff up pretty good, then eventually add the dry pieces in.

I have a no track mat, too. However, my kitty is a rather "jumpy" individual. Occasionally she will fly out of her litter box as if her own poop were on fire. Of course the result of that is a lovely spreading of litter all over the floor and everywhere but the no track mat.

We use Feline Pine, and it is fabulous! NO smell, except a very mild, nice pine scent occasionally. Clumps fairly well. Kitty loves it. But, it isn't cheap and she manages to track it a few feet around the box. However it is worth it to have zero smell and know that my little critter isn't breathing in tons of clay dust several times per day.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

I have switched over to the wood pellets, good ones actually, but they're only $5 for 50 lbs and the cats love it, all six of them will throw pellets hither and yon and do the deed and they're quite happy. I have a huge rubbermaid storage tub that serves as the main litterbox and they use one end and use the other for the approach, I guess. I also discovered sweet pdz and I put that on the bottom of the litterboxes and it absorbs all the bad odors. Small house, six cats with all their social drama, and I'm very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I use Blue's Naturally Fresh cat litter. The $17.99 size bag lasts me 3 months for one cat.
    YES! The Blue Buffalo litter is AWESOME.

I have four cats and am a litter snob. I have to be. I LOVE this stuff. It does NOT smell. It clumps well. It is more absorbent than clay, so you throw away less every week. It tracks, perhaps less than clay, but is easier to vacuum up because it is so light. My cats like it.

I buy a big bag perhaps every month, maybe every six weeks, which is $35? Which is right about what I was spending on clay every four weeks.

I do find that it will actually mold (which could be a problem if you keep your used litter in the house--mine is in the garage.)

Overall, WAAAAAAY better than just about anything on the market.

(And world's above World's Best--for anyone using that, try the Blue Buffalo stuff. It is MUCH better.)

I buy the clumping cat litter that's sold at Costco. It works BETTER than any of the expensive ones and costs $8 for 50 lbs. We have three cats and I need a litter that keeps smells down, that the cats like, and doesn't break the bank.

I've used Woody Pet in the past and I like this better.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

another thumbs up for the pine pellets, great stuff.
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    We use Feline Pine, and it is fabulous! NO smell, except a very mild, nice pine scent occasionally. Clumps fairly well. Kitty loves it. But, it isn't cheap and she manages to track it a few feet around the box. However it is worth it to have zero smell and know that my little critter isn't breathing in tons of clay dust several times per day.
    You are being duped. Feline Pine is Woody Pet or Equine Fresh in a MUCH smaller and MUCH more expensive bag. It's only more expensive because it has a cat picture instead of a horse picture. I can get 40lbs of Equine Fresh for $5 at TSC.