The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What sort of litterbox and litter do you use?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open/covered litterbox and clumping litter

101 82.79%
  • Open/covered litterbox and nonclumping litter

15 12.30%
  • Automatic self-cleaning litterbox

4 3.28%
  • My barn's indoor and/or outdoor arena

0 0%
  • No litterbox -- my kitties have a cat door to the great litterbox under the sky!

2 1.64%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Clumping litter (World's Best Cat Litter) with an open box like this. The entry is low enough that litter still gets kicked through the opening, but the cat is fairly old. One litter box. One well-behaved cat, at least with respect to litter boxes.

For those looking for a flushable clumping litter, the World's best is. I originally bought it when my cat was radioactive for a few days and you are required to flush, rather than throw out. I throw out now, using either the bag that comes with the paper or the dog poop bags that come on a roll.
    The Evil Chem Prof

The basement cats (they have reign over the basement and main floor) have covered boxes with Arm & Hammer clumping litter.

The Bathroom cat (she hates almost everyone except husband and I as well as any other cats) has an open pan with crystals. She seems to like this set-up, and my feet are slightly happier with the crystals than the smaller clumping litter. I think I read somewhere that clumping litter can be painful for a female cat if the litter clings to her lady bits.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Clumping litter (World's Best Cat Litter) with an open box like this. The entry is low enough that litter still gets kicked through the opening, but the cat is fairly old. One litter box. One well-behaved cat, at least with respect to litter boxes.

For those looking for a flushable clumping litter, the World's best is. I originally bought it when my cat was radioactive for a few days and you are required to flush, rather than throw out. I throw out now, using either the bag that comes with the paper or the dog poop bags that come on a roll.
    The Blue Buffalo walnut litter is SO much better.

I wasn't sure what to pick so I did the open/non clumping... Our cat only uses it in the winter when its cold and snowy... the rest of the year he goes outside!
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    The Blue Buffalo walnut litter is SO much better.
    What makes it better? I am open to change.
    The Evil Chem Prof

His Royal Highness does not like any thing left in his private necessity box when he comes to do his necessary business if there is any his Royalness throws a little fit by accidently missing the box and having the humans under his rule clean it up. So we got smart, and got one of these the litter lasts over a month with one cat and no fuss no muss tho sometime the dogs do think it is a "snack machine "
    http://www.petco.com/product/100832/...itter-Box.aspx
    Friend of bar .ka

The odor control of Blue litter is like nothing I've ever experienced in a cat litter. I THOUGHT I didn't have an odor problem until I switched, and the smell was really and truly gone. I've poured pure ammonia on it just to see how hard it works, and after 5 minutes, I couldn't sell ANY ammonia at all.
    I go through so much less than any other litter I've used. It doesn't say you'll use less I don't think, but I got the medium bag the first time and it lasted 3 months! I got the biggest bag the second time and it lasted about 6-7 months. I'm a year into using it and literally on my third bag

When I was sold on it, the lady assured me its guaranteed, so I saved my receipt just in case but never needed it.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

When I have to use one (when for some reason I have to confine a cat, since she's a barn cat), I use pine pellets in an open box too.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have the Tidy Cat Breeze system, and it is far and above the BEST litter box ever! It has a slide out tray for pads which absorb urine (which I change out once a week- so easy!!) then the top part has pellets which get changed out about once a month. It is so easy, so neat, and odors are almost non-existent! When I had the AC repairman in my house last summer, he commented that I had no cat smell at all and he's never seen that before. I highly recommend it!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I have a booda covered cat box with a mat in front of the opening.
    http://www.petco.com/product/11197/B...earl-Dove.aspx

I use Fresh Step clumping litter. Down to 2 cats now, works well.

TWO LitterMaid automatic littler boxes for 3 indoor only cats. They poop in one and pee in the other - guess that is the natural order (odor?) of their world LOL!
    Inese

One cat in the house, and she IS very neat about using a litter box. It was open, but I finally located the top and with the big opening, she is just fine with a covered box. I like the covered type, only lets her in and out in one place, so she uses the rug in front that helps trap litter granules. When it was an open box the litter got tracked ALL over.

I get the cheapest litter, Store brand Meijers, which has smell granules mixed in. I clean once a day, use up all those plastic grocery bags to remove dirty litter. She seldom has a smelly box with this method. Good thing, husband HATES any litter-box smell.

The four barn cats use the open shed with the dirt floor for themselves. It is large shed, never smells like cats. Sometimes they use the outside arena, lots of loose dirt there.

Our 2 cats have a box in the house, but they almost never use it. They are in-out cats and most of the time they choose to go outdoors. Usually in the nice mulch around our landscaping.

When I had indoor only cats I just used the Fresh Step and scooped a minimum of twice a day.

I've had cats for years and never had my house smell like cat, even when I had 4indoor only cats in my small apartment. It just takes some maintenance. I would LOVE to get one of these though: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s2&tag=flyc-20
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

The odor control is really amazing, as PSJ describes. The litter smells like freshly turned earth, I think, even when it's late in the scooping cycle and most scoopable litters start to retain smells, even if scooped every day. I found world's best to *really* start to stink, even when the box was clean, after it had been used awhile.

It clumps harder than WB, making it easier to clean.

It is more absorbent, which makes the bag last longer.

My cats like it better than WB, I assume due to the odor control.

I don't think there are any reports of it coming loaded with bugs like with World's Best. I did have some spiders in my first bag, but they were self limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    And when we renovated our bathroom we dedicated a space to the litterbox. So now it is out of view, hidden behind a cloth curtain, tiled floors, easy to access and easy to clean.
    I love this.

My mother's assisted living facility has a dog and a cat. When they rebuilt the place, they set up a section of cupboards in the activity room with a built-in cat door, and the litter box inside. Thought that was very clever, too!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Large covered litter box with clumping litter. Current litter is World's Best Cat Litter. I really like the scented clumping variety, but they were out last time so got the multiple cat variety. We only have one cat and it lasts ages and has pretty much NO dust!!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Hmmmm, I'm willing to try the Blue Buffalo. The litter box is in my office (work at home) so it gets cleaned ... religiously during the day (litterlocker II - best invention ever). I've used World's Best for about 5 years and it works well (better than some of the other similar varieties), but since I'm about to add Maine Coon #2 to my 2 cat household I'm looking for something else. 60lbs of cats makes for some litterbox challenges. Challenge #2 is something large enough for 24lbs of not overweight, just very large Main Coon.

Fortunately a friend told me about using a cement mixing tray. Doh!

I am adding a "catio" to the back yard though, and Maine Coon #1 likes to go outside - he holds it until he goes out in the AM (while I'm making coffee/puttering = supervised cat outside time). So my master plan is to give them an outdoor kitty litter box. Whereupon I am sure they will decide the last thing they could possibly do is go outside.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

DMK, tell me more about this "Catio". Is is attached to the house, or is it a separate structure?
    W. C. Fields

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

It's in my mind right now!

But I'm fencing in my backyard this year - 6 foot privacy fence. I have a small yard, and in the corner where the fence will meet the house is a window (two actually - side and back). It happens to be a corner with nothing important in it, so I thought I would get one of those window sash cat doors and then use the two sides of the fencing for two walls, then frame out two sides (add a door) and the top, all attached to the house with entrance/exit via the window cat door.

So it would be something like this:

http://www.just4cats.com/post5.html

about 10x12, I'm thinking.

Then I'm going to put platforms like this in because this is super cool and easy (especially since I'm going to have fencing guy put in all the posts)

http://catioshowcase.com/

Half of the area is wood chip, the other half is grass, but I was thinking I could put a covered structure over a framed out sandbox and create an outdoor litter box (clean out the solid and just let the pee drain though)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

WOW!!!! My head is spinning with ideas! Thanks!
    W. C. Fields