The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What sort of litterbox and litter do you use?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open/covered litterbox and clumping litter

101 82.79%
  • Open/covered litterbox and nonclumping litter

15 12.30%
  • Automatic self-cleaning litterbox

4 3.28%
  • My barn's indoor and/or outdoor arena

0 0%
  • No litterbox -- my kitties have a cat door to the great litterbox under the sky!

2 1.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Litterbox Survey

What sort of litterbox and litter do you use?

I'll start -- we have an open box with clumping litter.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I have a large one with a top and a front opening for that cat: http://www.petco.com/product/112682/...r%20Box-112682

Right now I have Fresh Step in there. I really do like the Tidy Cat. Far less dust, pleasant non litter-y smell, but man, does that stuff track!

I always use the clumping litters.

I use the clumping kind with immediate action (I think it says that on the container). I scoop morning and night for two boys. They have an extra large box.

The best thing? Their XL box is totally encompassed by a claw-friendly carpet covered "room". They have a door in one end and the top lifts off to clean. It is huge and heavy, I sit on it when I put on my shoes LOL!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I have a high pee-er, so I have a big Tupperware-y plastic box with high sides. I cut out a hole in the lid, but its now topless since it didn't seem to add to my kitty's pleasurable experience. I use Scoop Away. Sadly only 1 kitty left.

I have open boxes and 6 cats. I buy the pine pellet bedding from Tractor Supply and use that. Clean daily and dump when pellets are all broken down. Keeps the smell down a lot.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I use an open in one "kitty bathroom" room, and a covered one in a "public" room of our house. Both are stocked with Swheat Scoop--I despise clay cat litters! Clay litters are terrible for the environment from their manufacture to their disposal. Swheat Scoop is wheat middlings, clumps well, biodegradable, flushable and smells like, well, wet wheat when peed on. My cats love it, and it's reasonably priced.

The cats will potty outside when it's dry (not many months out of the year for that here!) and they are out during the day--they are locked in the house at night.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I've considered a type of litter aside from clay. I did use the Shweat Schoop and it tracked an awful lot and seemed to make my cat sneeze often while in her box. Not sure why as I didn't think it was dusty. I'm tempted to try Feline Pine to see if she'd like that..

Right now, four open boxes with Tidy Cat Scoop cut with I want to say Purina's corn-based litter. I like that one because it's lightweight carrying it from the store, but they don't come in very big bags so they don't last long.

Four open boxes with Wegman's Clumping Litter in all of them. They're cleaned twice daily. I like the Wegman's litter. It's cheaper by far than other litter around here and there is absolutely no smell. Yes, it tracks, but I put extra large dog training pads under the boxes which serves a duel purpose. The cats track on the pad, and the one old cat I have who always gets in the box to go but sometimes ends up going outside of it, just hits the training pad instead.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

Four open boxes for 4 cats. The boxes are underbed sweater boxes, not actual "litter" boxes, as I have a large cat that doesn't fit in normal litter boxes. I use Scoop Away, as it's the only litter that works with my cats to eliminate any smell. I have a small apartment. The litter boxes are in a small cupboard behind the fireplace in the living room. No one who has ever come here has realized they were sitting just feet from open litter pans

I've also found that giving my cats Kyo Dophillus probiotics almost completely eliminates any stinky poop smell and fixes loose/runny poop. I tried using Probios brand (for cats) but one cat (allergic to most everything) violently threw it up all over my kitchen floor I bought that bottle on June 3 and still have over half of it left (works well on me, too!)
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

We finally found a cat litter (Tidy cats) that reduces that awful cat smell. And when we renovated our bathroom we dedicated a space to the litterbox. So now it is out of view, hidden behind a cloth curtain, tiled floors, easy to access and easy to clean.
    I hate the fact that I am using plastic bags to dispose of the soiled litter, but I tried the flushable litters, and they did nothing to hide the smell.
    Is there a flushable, biodegradable cat litter that clumps well and absorbs the smell completely? If there is one I'll buy it.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I buy plastic storage bins and lowes and cut a hole in the side. Keeps the litter from getting kicked out, but makes cleaning a LOT easier than having a covered box.
    I buy new ones every 6 months since plastic is porous and harbors smells.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I do like petstorejunkie and use the huge plastic tubs and then we have 3/4 other pans in the house. We have six cats and a 1300 sqf house and not all the cats get along...

I use sweet pdz and the wood pellets for litter and change/clean as often as possible. In three seasons I leave a window open and the cats all go outside and I can take the litter boxes out.

Home-made rubber maid type tub with half the top cut off, and Petco's clumping litter. The litter we got for free when we adopted our lovely new kitty Hermione a month ago. We like it, so we'll continue to use it. We only have one spoiled kitty.

Covered box and clumping litter. I live in a studio and my box has to be in the bathroom (only logical spot for it.) Kitty was kicking out too much litter with the open box. (And occasionally backing up to the edge and accidently peeing over the side. *Facepalm* ) The cover solved those issues.

I use large rubbermaid storage containers (high sides, but not covered) and the Blue Buffalo walnut clumping litter. Works great for four kitties.

I checked auto-boxes, but that's not entirely true.

I have 6 indoor cats (damn, no, I have 5 now ) plus one in & out cat plus one skeerdy barn cat who only comes in when the weather is foul or frigid.

I have 6 litterboxes:

-- 3 Sterilite tubs with pine pellet bedding for litter - 1 is covered but top entry, the other 2 are open and all are very deep.
    -- 2 Cat Genies which have their own permanent crystals
    -- 1 Litter Robot that uses clumping litter

And the Great Outdoors for the outdoor kids.

We use the Rubbermaid under-bed boxes also; like them because we just throw the entire box out twice a year or so and they're cheap to replace. We have three cats, three boxes down in the basement and one in the attic.

Use the Arm & Hammer multiple cat clumping litter. I'd like to try Swheat Scoop or Feline Pine, but my husband a) is the one who cleans the boxes most often; b) is most irritated by cat smell; and c) is paranoid about his wine cellar being affected by ammonia (he has a small fortress of baking soda boxes around it until we have time to build an actual wine room).
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Blue naturally fresh litter is amazing!!!!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

What a sad contrast I discovered!

The truth (and how I voted): Open litterbox, non-clumping litter, pine stall bedding pellets. And me being scrupulous about cleaning it.

The fantasy: A 100' x 200' indoor litterbox/arena. I didn't realize these were dual-purpose.

My mom thinks no one needs an indoor. She might agree, however, that the cat needs a $100K litterbox. I'm gonna run that up the flag pole and see if she salutes.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.