The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to get Dawn dish detergent off garage floor??

I just bought a gallon-size bottle of Dawn dish detergent at Sam's. The bottle rolled onto the back floor mat and opened (that will teach me to check the top or put it in a box so it won't roll). I lost about 1/2 of the bottle.

I mopped up as much as I could from the floor mat with a towel and, of course, it dripped onto the garage floor when I took it out. So now I have a very slippery floor. I tried mopping that up with a towel and put down some kitty litter.

Is there anything I can put on the floor to get it less slippery? Maybe vinegar? I just know I will slip in it.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Best solutions is to use lots of warm water. Try making a dike with towels and flush the soap out the door with a sqeegee or broom. you'll have a very clean floor.

1 members found this post helpful.

Is this in New Hampshire or Florida? If it's Florida, I'd just turn the hose on it and wash it out. If it's in New Hampshire, I'd try lots and lots of baking soda, but I still think you will need to wash it with plain water to dilute it.

Edit: It's supposed to warm up on Monday and Tuesday, so even if it is in NH, you should be okay to use the hose then.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

if you are worried about sudsing...use some auto dishwasher detergent to break up the bubbles.

I'm in Florida right now. I will take the car out and hose down the floor and scrub it. Hopefully that will do it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    if you are worried about sudsing...use some auto dishwasher detergent to break up the bubbles.
    vinegar will help deter sudsing

An easy way to break up soap suds is to sprinkle salt on it. If the residue will just run down to the street, then use a bunch of salt. However, if you are where the run off will go onto the lawn or plant areas, then skip the salt, and rinse it a lot to dilute it. Large amounts of soap or salt can kill plants.

Don't beat yourself up about the spill. I bet most of us learned to check lids the hard way too. And I have plastic storage containers in the back of the cargo area, so things either won't fall over, or if they leak it's contained, and easily cleaned up.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

At least it wasnt milk
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Cat liter or powder laundry detergent like Tide put it down brush it around. Sweep it up.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"