The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kidnapped Irish Race Horse Shergar - does anyone know about this?

I've never heard of this before. What a strange story!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/07/sport/...html?hpt=hp_c2
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Yes, it's a shame. Shergar was a really nice horse...
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

I always heard the IRA dun it.

Yep......it was a big thing in racing news way back when. They made a movie about it.

That was such a sad thing - Shergar was amazing.

Have the movie. Very sad about the horse.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Shergar and the stolen Vermeer painting, The Concert, are two big unsolved mysteries that stay with me. Hope Shergar was treated well wherever he ended up; hope he wasn't killed (though he probably was). Hope The Concert is somewhere, being taken care of, and not deteroriating from poor/no care.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Very sad story. I like to picture him grazing in a pasture hidden from view. If only...

There was a movie? What was the name?

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    There was a movie? What was the name?
    Shergar
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    Shergar and the stolen Vermeer painting, The Concert, are two big unsolved mysteries that stay with me. Hope Shergar was treated well wherever he ended up; hope he wasn't killed (though he probably was). Hope The Concert is somewhere, being taken care of, and not deteroriating from poor/no care.
    I think the consensus is that he was killed before the ransom demands were ever made.

I am thinking it was IRA related.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Well, what do you know, named after the horse, LOL!

My dad was living in Dublin at time and remembers being stopped by the guardai wanting to check all the vehicles coming to and fro. He was driving a tiny old black car and asked 'where do you think I'm hiding him? In the boot?' The ridiculousness of the whole thing always made him shake his head remembering it.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

1 members found this post helpful.

The amazing part of it is that after all these years, no one has come forward with the answer. Seldom can a group be so tight mouthed.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    The amazing part of it is that after all these years, no one has come forward with the answer. Seldom can a group be so tight mouthed.
    unless the people who did it bit the dust a while ago....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

You know, that's a good point. I almost wonder if it was done to blame a specific group or for insurance money?

Actually somebody did tell the story, a few years ago, long after anybody important enough to kill him was dead. It was the IRA and they killed the horse with machine guns. Nasty people, nasty way to die. To give them a smidgen of credit the horse injured his leg (stories vary), got more and more upset and they didn't really know how to put him down. They just figured he'd die quick, they didn't know how long it would take a large animal to bleed to death.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

If you search enough you'll find the story on the net, it's pretty grim though.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Yes, but is that IRA story, with the machine gun killing, verified by anything? It's certainly plausible, but notorious crimes often have many people claiming to have done them for the infamy. I mean, if they know the ringleader's name (Kevin Mallon), where Shergar was taken, when he was shot, how he was disposed of, etc., why wasn't there some kind of followup? Something just makes me doubt that the specifics are accurately known. Especially since there are varying stories of did he get injured and how/where/how serious, or was he just too much to handle, was he shot humanely or gunned down with machine guns. But maybe some version of the IRA kidnapping is exactly what happened.

Still, with the crime was so well planned with having it on sales day with lots of vans about, and the team holdup of the trainer and all, would they really not have anyone on the kidnapping team to handle/hold a horse? You plan all that out so carefully, but nobody thinks to make sure someone knows how to lead and handle a horse?

It also seems possible the IRA were handy scapegoats to blame.

I dunno, I certainly have not made any great study of the case. But it is one of those sad things that haunts me a little bit -- the unknown factors and the fear for how he was treated. That's why I'd rather imagine scenarios where he ended up in some backwater stud siring foals under another name (unlikely I know).
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

2 members found this post helpful.

At that time who was the Aga Khan's greatest competitor as far as racing/stud profits were concerned ?
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    Yes, but is that IRA story, with the machine gun killing, verified by anything? It's certainly plausible, but notorious crimes often have many people claiming to have done them for the infamy. I mean, if they know the ringleader's name (Kevin Mallon), where Shergar was taken, when he was shot, how he was disposed of, etc., why wasn't there some kind of followup? Something just makes me doubt that the specifics are accurately known. Especially since there are varying stories of did he get injured and how/where/how serious, or was he just too much to handle, was he shot humanely or gunned down with machine guns. But maybe some version of the IRA kidnapping is exactly what happened.

Still, with the crime was so well planned with having it on sales day with lots of vans about, and the team holdup of the trainer and all, would they really not have anyone on the kidnapping team to handle/hold a horse? You plan all that out so carefully, but nobody thinks to make sure someone knows how to lead and handle a horse?

It also seems possible the IRA were handy scapegoats to blame.

I dunno, I certainly have not made any great study of the case. But it is one of those sad things that haunts me a little bit -- the unknown factors and the fear for how he was treated. That's why I'd rather imagine scenarios where he ended up in some backwater stud siring foals under another name (unlikely I know).
    probably a fallacy many people fall for: they think they can handle that half dead cob in the hack line they are equipped to handle a million dollar thoroughbred stallion...