The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    Get your eyebrows plucked or waxed at a good salon
    Better yet, go have them threaded.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rock a nice mani/pedi regularily. Mascara and/or eyeliner (eyebrows under control as well) and something to define and moisten your lips... could be just a tinted chapstick.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have to look professional for work (and like to look nice for hubby occasionally...)

Here are my tips (painfully acquired over the years!)

1. A good bra is key! Get it professionally fitted. I didn't realize for years that (like a lot of women) I was wearing a band that was too big and a cup that was too small. The right size/support makes a huge difference.
    2. If you are going to do one thing with make-up, go with lipstick. It will brighten your whole face. Oh, and get someone who knows what they are doing to help you pick a shade. I'm incredibly unmotivated when it comes to make-up, and just lipstick is enough most days.
    3. Pay for a good haircut! It's totally worth it. I always tell the stylist I will not spend more than five minutes, and will only use one product on it. With that info, and the right stylist, I can look sharp with minimal effort.
    4. Jewelry. Pick something YOU like and own it. It doesn't need to be expensive, but find either earrings or a necklace that you like and that stand out bit.
    5. Find shapes that flatter your body. For me, it's snug tops with a fitted jacket that helps bring out my curves. I look dumpy in a lot of sweaters and anything that clings. Get a girlfriend with a good eye to helpful pick out shapes and colors that work. One caveat - you MUST take her advice, even if it's painful. I cleaned my closet out of black sweaters and twinsets (my "go to") after one of these sessions.

FYI - I find that heels hurt and I never wear them. I have nice looking comfy shoes and still gets tons of compliments.

It's a long process and baby steps are okay!

This is something I struggle with!
    I'm a jeans and sweatshirt (in the winter) or nike shorts and t-shirt kind of girl. Don't usually wear make up. Hair is always up in a pony tail or french braid.

If I'm going on a date, I'll wear nice jeans + flats (because I'm tall and accident prone), a nice dressy-ish shirt, and wear the hair down or in a french braid, depending on what we are doing. I will wear some eye and lip make up, a nice necklace, bracelet and a pair of small earings.

It really is amazing what changing your hair and adding a little make up and jewlery can do, especially if you are like me and don't usually do those things.

I used to dress up alot more when going out with friends but I finally realized that there's no point in dressing up to try and impress a guy if that's not who I generally am. I decided that if he doesn't like me how I am then I'm not the right girl for him. I hate feeling like I constantly have to impress someone. So I dress nicely but comfortably if I am going out now.

Lucky for me, I met a great guy while I was sweating my butt off at tye gym. I figure if he was attracted to me with my hair a mess and sweat everywhere, then he must really like me
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Thanks! I do usually put on tinted moisturizer and lip gloss. I started in high tech years ago largely b/c I could wear jeans to work every day. That was great in my 20s- but now that I'm nearly a decade into 29th bdays- I'm looking for better options for dressing up. I'd like to gussy up for a date with my husband or a work dinner. I am always amazed by women who look so darn effortlessly put together. My neighbor looks like she could be in a magazine every time she gets the mail. I usually have barn clothes, running clothes, or biking clothes on when I get the mail.

Here are some ideas that are flattering on almost any figure and can go from office to dinner out. This is one of my favorite sites to shop from - most of the stuff isn't cookie cutter, has a little flair without being over the top.

http://www.laredoute.com/long-sleeve...39-751412.aspx

http://www.laredoute.com/anne-weybur...92-687213.aspx

http://www.laredoute.com/finely-stri...77-687213.aspx

Great for date night:

http://www.laredoute.com/knit-and-sa...62-739111.aspx
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Why would anyone try to change their preferred way of being because of some perceived deficit so as purportedly to seem more appealing?

The only advice I can provide to females is not to lop hair off. Running back over the years, I cannot think of one female who was made more appealing by chopping her hair short. Sure, it's slightly easier to take care of, but when I was in grad school and hair length was no big deal for either men or women, it only took me about 90 seconds more to dry mine when it was near shoulder length than when short, so that excuse is a non-starter.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Incidentally, men hate makeup on women.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

What Not To Wear provides great information for using clothing and makeup to your advantage.

A couple of pointers from the show:
    The items placed at the front and front sides of a store are the most current, trendy clothing.
    Find what "talks to you", what makes you happy and try on a lot of clothes.
    Be objective when looking in the mirror. Clothing should flatter YOUR body - if it doesn't figure out what is wrong with the cut and try another. Above all else, accept the body you have.

My lesson learned long ago - buy quality clothing and build on the pieces.
    Long ago "They" always said to buy the 'little black dress'. It doesn't have to be fancy or low cut or real short - just look good on you. Then add accessories to dress up or dress down.

Finally look about the folks you know - any whose style you appreciate - ask them to shop with you. Same for folks with a good hairstyle - consider using their hair stylist. The better shops often offer make-overs.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

For outfits, the rule of three is a good start. Rather than wearing a top and a bottom, or a dress, have three items on- that third item can be a cardigan, scarf, statement necklace, chunky belt, even a few bracelets.... just a third item makes it all tied together.

Find some jewelry as others have said, that you really like and will wear often. Mine are (i don't wear them all at once) a nice shiny watch (waterproof, has to be!) an English horse bit style bracelet, stud earrings, and a silver necklace. I work with/around a lot of men and you'd be surprised at the difference in reactions (or just interaction style) on the days i choose to put on mascara and a necklace or earrings. It's almost funny!

Play dress up every so often. Put on some music or a good movie in the background, pour an adult beverage, and just try on clothes and makeup, and do something new with styling your hair. I rarely leave the house 'done up' but i love a good dress up session just for fun! I think the (wine and) absence of expectations (you're not leaving the house so it doesn't have to look amazing, and there's no rush) almost always mean i can find some really cute outfit combos or makeup looks to try later 'for real.' Plus, you could get used to seeing the reflection in the mirror like that and feel more confident when you try it later.
    Have fun!

ETA: When looking at colors for dresses/slacks, the tempting color to go to is black. However, don't discount chocolate to deep brown and various shades of grey, as well as navy. Those colors are a lot more visually interesting than plain black, and they can look 'richer' as well. You can just as easily pair accessories/items with brown/grey/navy as they're also neutrals. I just love brown dress trousers, they looks classy and more 'on purpose' than hiding in black
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Here are some ideas that are flattering on almost any figure and can go from office to dinner out. This is one of my favorite sites to shop from - most of the stuff isn't cookie cutter, has a little flair without being over the top.

http://www.laredoute.com/long-sleeve...39-751412.aspx

http://www.laredoute.com/anne-weybur...92-687213.aspx

http://www.laredoute.com/finely-stri...77-687213.aspx

Great for date night:

http://www.laredoute.com/knit-and-sa...62-739111.aspx
    CUTE!!! Love the navy long sleeve dress!
    Dangit, i will not buy clothes, i will NOT.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    Why would anyone try to change their preferred way of being because of some perceived deficit so as purportedly to seem more appealing?

The only advice I can provide to females is not to lop hair off. Running back over the years, I cannot think of one female who was made more appealing by chopping her hair short. Sure, it's slightly easier to take care of, but when I was in grad school and hair length was no big deal for either men or women, it only took me about 90 seconds more to dry mine when it was near shoulder length than when short, so that excuse is a non-starter.
    My hair is chopped off, because I can't stand it long in the back, especially when it starts touching my neck.

I was so super happy when chopping your hair didn't any more make everyone think you had chemo and it was growing back.

Then, I don't have to impress anyone with my looks, thankfully.

Don't get hung up on the girly or not so much.
    Experiment with what feels right to you.
    Be yourself, which may be girly, maybe not so much.

Being happy with yourself will go a long way in looking good.

A good bra, basic makeup, clothes that FIT and are in classic styles, and a couple of timeless accessories.

Paint your nails, that's a very simple trick. Throw on some mascara and put some color on your lips. Find clothes that fit. Try to go with traditional style clothing form fitted, tailored and elegant. Have fun.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Fun!

I actually LOVE being a girl. I am not afraid to get dressed up and show off a little. I tend to go on the simple side of things (I don't wear a lot of make up- my eyes HATE eye makeup for one thing), but, when I decide to be a girl, I can be pretty smokin'. Keep in mind that I work in the horse industry, so spend most of my time in jeans or britches, dirty boots, and, this time of year, lots of horrible layers.

But I think it starts with maintenance. Sunscreen. Moisturizer. Rest. Healthy eating habits (my downfall, but when you compare what I eat, even on my bad days, to the average American diet, I'm pretty healthy).

Then, go on to some bigger changes. Like, a hair cut that is flattering and that YOU love. Feeling girly/sexy/whatever starts by feeling GOOD about yourself. So, if you feel dowdy, you'll look dowdy. So, ask girly friends for recs on a good stylist, spend some time online looking at hair cuts (long or short, it doesn't matter, just what YOU like), and go to the stylist with your ideas. I speak from experience. I cut ALL my hair off about 2 months ago, and I feel AWESOME.

Figure out what your assets are and flaunt them! That doesn't mean you have to dress like a hussy, it just means you find some clothes that flatter your good points and pull attention away from your less good points. Also, again, wear clothes that make you feel AWESOME. That when you look at yourself in the mirror you think "I am a badass, sexy bitch!" My FAVORITE things to wear are girly sundresses that hug the right spots. However, they aren't appropriate year round. Right now my favorite "hell yeah! I'm hot!" apparel are my "skinny" jeans (they aren't really skinny, like hipster skinny, but are straight legged, which make my not so long legs look longer and they make ass look awesome. I feel like Joan Jett in them ). Find stuff you like to wear, then WEAR it.

Wear jewelry, if you like it. I like some stuff, but find other stuff overwhelming (my sister can wear the hell out of big, fun jewelry, but I prefer little, simple things). Little studs, I have found (Especially since the big chop) are a really nice way to dress you up and girlify you without being over the top. I wear them every day, even around the barn. I feel pretty girly even when I'm covered in dirt.

I DON'T paint my nails (except for the occasional fun outing). I trash them too quickly, and that just isn't girly. I keep them short and neat and take care of my hands with lots of moisturizer and gloves as much as I can stand when I'm working. I DO paint my toe nails...which I love. So, only paint your nails if you aren't too hard on them and can maintain them well. Otherwise, just take care of your hands and keep your nails trim and neat.

Someone mentioned good bras. YES. There is nothing sexy about sports bras (while I do wear them all day, every day, if I'm going girly, I leave them at home and pull out my good stuff) or bras that allow the girls to sag. Find a couple that fit well and flatter your shape. Also, and this may seem silly, but, well, panties that are a little more fun can, again, make you feel great. There are a lot of nice cuts and styles that are cute and fun to wear. Just because you may be the only person that sees them doesn't mean they won't give you a boost to your girl power self esteem.

And, really, seriously, the best thing you can do is ENJOY being who you are. You don't have to put on tons of makeup, wear lots of jewelry, or even wear dresses. Figure out what makes you feel great, and then do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post

Hmm....there are some men in my life who are ALL about my new, very short doo. Probably because I think I look wicked hot in it, and my confidence makes me wicked hot to them. And, I had GORGEOUS hair before the chop.

Also, I chopped off a lot of my hair my senior year in high school, much to the consternation of the guy who had been flirting with me for months. You know what happened when I cut it off? He asked me out. Again, I think he liked that I was confident enough to not give a damn what he liked.

My hair, prior to the chop, spent its life in a pony tail or a braid. I did let it down when I was going out, but it WAS a pain in the ass. It was to my mid back, VERY thick, and very heavy. It took ages to dry, I shed all over the place (I'm still vacuuming up long blonde hairs, two months on. My former roommate is still vacuuming them up in a house I haven't lived in in over a year!), and just found it overwhelming. It is short, hip, and stupid easy now. And I feel AWESOME with it. Which is a big, BIG part of feeling attractive.

Now, I'm not advocating every girl go chop all her hair off. It doesn't work for everyone, some people are too attached (me, for a long time). But, I don't think women should be afraid to do a big chop if they want because guys might not like them. If a guy is THAT worried about the length of their hair, they're probably not worth the energy, anyway.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Hmm....there are some men in my life who are ALL about my new, very short doo. Probably because I think I look wicked hot in it, and my confidence makes me wicked hot to them. And, I had GORGEOUS hair before the chop.
    This is true. The long golden locks didn't really suit your saucy personality or your sporty lifestyle but they were very pretty when they were free and flowing and they looked great in a ponytail. I think I saw you wearing it in a bun once but I can't really recall. But yes, the short hair does look great on you and it is a good fit.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    This is true. The long golden locks didn't really suit your saucy personality or your sporty lifestyle but they were very pretty when they were free and flowing and they looked great in a ponytail. I think I saw you wearing it in a bun once but I can't really recall. But yes, the short hair does look great on you and it is a good fit.
    Ahh, shucks.

See, adamantane?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I only regret that I didn't run my fingers through them at least once but that would have been awkward if I did it randomly. At least I got to see the ponytail on a regular basis and that always seemed to work for you. I also recall you occasionally braided it as well didn't you?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Yeah, that may have been creepy.

Depending on its length and how many fresh layers were cut in it, I would braid it. Most of the time it was a pony tail, or some wild knot on top of my head, especially on hot summer days.

I am so looking forward to not having a fur coat on my head come summer!