The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to find custom white boards?

I searched for other threads on this topic, but didn't find any of them helpful. I'm looking for one of the custom white boards, that can be done in barn colors and has a barn name on them? There is one from Smartpak, but it is close to $400: I'm looking to give this as a gift to trainer for her new facility, and therefore I'm looking for something at least a little more affordable. Does anyone know where I can find something like this?

Thank you so much ahead of time!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

McGuinn makes them and so does Oakcroft, but I imagine they are about the same price or perhaps even more.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Phoenix West has them as well. They are not cheap. Phoenix West does offer them in raw wood which you could paint and seal to match your barn colors. That is a bit cheaper. They also offer stained wood ones which are also cheaper than the ones with the vinyl.

If you know anybody handy (carpenter), you can purchase 4x8 sheets of whiteboard at Lowes and have it customized yourself.
    Cindy

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    If you know anybody handy (carpenter), you can purchase 4x8 sheets of whiteboard at Lowes and have it customized yourself.
    That still wouldn't be quite what the OP is looking for. The ones she's talking about look like this and have a custom vinyl inlay: http://www.smartpakequine.com/phoeni...ard-3314p.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    That still wouldn't be quite what the OP is looking for. The ones she's talking about look like this and have a custom vinyl inlay: http://www.smartpakequine.com/phoeni...ard-3314p.aspx
    Something about those pictures makes me feel like that should retail at about 85 bucks, not over 300. Someone with an ounce of creativity could easily make it (and customize it much more) while looking ten times better.

2 members found this post helpful.

That would be so easy to make. Can't believe people actually pay that much for something so simple.
    With a little time and thought you could make something just as good or better. A trip to Michaels and/or the hardware store and you can find all the materials. If you know someone with a Criket machine you can do all kinds of neat stuff. If not you can find vinyl lettering at Michaels or go to a sign shop and have them print out you letting for you.
    You can also have Michaels do the framing for you. Never buy anything at Michaels without checking for coupons first. They usually have a 50% off framing coupon

You also now can buy whiteboard paint at home depot, etc. So you could use whatever you wanted and build the frame and such and just spray the part you want to be whiteboard. That would allow you to make it any size you wanted instead of having to depend on premade whiteboard sizes.

McGuinn, Phoenix West, Oakcroft--- all the usual suspects of the vinyl world have been named.

IMO, there is no substitute for the vinyl matchy-match with trainer's existing barn stuff. I'd take up a collection and buy the right one once before I got crafty.

But! If you do go the expensive route, you want to buy from the company that already has your trainer's barn colors and art on file. Then order from a place that does a great job with that particular manufacturer. If it won't wreck the surprise, figure out which retailer took your trainer's order for trunks and the rest of the equipment.

But! (Also). IME, whiteboards can get skanky looking over time. You can revirginate them with nail polish remover. My point is that you can legitimize not spending a fortune on this particular gift. Find her something else that will be just as custom and just as nice. I think grooming boxes with custom vinyl might be a tad cheaper. $300 or so?

I hope you find something that furthers the noble cause of matchy-match in the hunter barn.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

If you just need one for around the barn you can use auto-striping tape to make the lines. It will last for some time. We had one that we did in about 2008 that survived years of abuse. It finally died towards the end of last summer in the baking sun at the barn with the zebra, but it wasn't the striping that went. The whiteboard surface literally got rubbed off, like cheap silver plate losing its silver coating with too much polishing.

Write the horse's names with permanent marker, unless they change a lot. That will come off with Vetrolin (or nail polish remover or white board cleaner or acetone).
    The Evil Chem Prof

I have one shaped like a jumping horse/rider. I love it
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

If you want it to match perfectly do as MVP suggested and contact the company your trainer usually orders from and just order the vinyl top part. Make the rest.

Peggy- where did you find the auto-stripping tape? Any automotive store or a specialty store? I know we used that years ago too and just like yours the whiteboard gave out before the tape.

Depending on what you are looking for I may be able to help, I do full color custom signs, dry erase stall plaques, and other items, full color logos and even photos can be used.

Wow, those are awesome, I'd love to have one....however, I could never afford/would never pay that much becuase I'd honestly just make one myself. When we make our custom boards we use a permanent marker and a yardstick to create nice even lines on ours. Also my husband is pretty handy, so he could make the background and paint it awesome colors and such. Maybe check Etsy.com, they might have something on there - lots of custom sellers.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Did you try Big D's they use to make custom training boards

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    McGuinn, Phoenix West, Oakcroft--- all the usual suspects of the vinyl world have been named.

IMO, there is no substitute for the vinyl matchy-match with trainer's existing barn stuff. I'd take up a collection and buy the right one once before I got crafty.

But! If you do go the expensive route, you want to buy from the company that already has your trainer's barn colors and art on file. Then order from a place that does a great job with that particular manufacturer. If it won't wreck the surprise, figure out which retailer took your trainer's order for trunks and the rest of the equipment.

But! (Also). IME, whiteboards can get skanky looking over time. You can revirginate them with nail polish remover. My point is that you can legitimize not spending a fortune on this particular gift. Find her something else that will be just as custom and just as nice. I think grooming boxes with custom vinyl might be a tad cheaper. $300 or so?

I hope you find something that furthers the noble cause of matchy-match in the hunter barn.
    I have to say I agree with this. These boards tend to live in "public" view and most H/J trainers are interested in presenting an organized professional appearance ... hence the matchy-matchy gear.

Certainly a regular whiteboard from an office supply store can serve the functional purpose for $20 or so. But if this is a barn warming gift, presumably the intent is to give the trainer something more professional looking, possibly to match her trunks or other show equipment. The DIY craft type approach is probably not going to yield that kind of result.

One other item that you might consider is a pretty framed mirror - perhaps one with an equestrian theme to coordinate with the trunks and other gear, instead of matching it exactly. Beval used to carry some nice ones that had hunt or show scenes, and came with a little shelf and some pegs below that were very useful in addition to being pretty. I have one hanging in my mud room that everyone always comments on - it's both pretty and useful. IIRC they were around half of the amount you mentioned. Just a thought.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Beval used to carry some nice ones that had hunt or show scenes, and came with a little shelf and some pegs below that were very useful in addition to being pretty. I have one hanging in my mud room that everyone always comments on - it's both pretty and useful. IIRC they were around half of the amount you mentioned. Just a thought.
    We used to keep one in the tack room at shows. Helpful for fixing your hair underneath your helmet and a multitude of other things, so I second this suggestion if a nice whiteboard is cost-prohibitive.

Looks like Dover offers them in custom vinyl trim as well for $249

http://www.doversaddlery.com/dress-m...2n5w45jsxk5z45
    -PaulaEdwina

The Usual Suspect companies will make these mirrors, too, in your barn's colors and artwork. They look very nice.

And you want wacky expenditures? I once saw a well-dressed barn at HITS Saugerties that had one trunk per horse, but also a hanging medicine box per horse. That's about $2K in boxes per animal, people. Oh, and the medicine boxes weren't by the stalls, but all hung up in a grid on back wall... that was also covered in the barn's drapes. I can't imagine the bills for the equipment and set-up/tear-down that those clients paid.

By the time you have so many boxes that they aren't all conveniently by the horse, I think that's over the top.... even for a matchy-match like me.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    The Usual Suspect companies will make these mirrors, too, in your barn's colors and artwork. They look very nice.

And you want wacky expenditures? I once saw a well-dressed barn at HITS Saugerties that had one trunk per horse, but also a hanging medicine box per horse. That's about $2K in boxes per animal, people. Oh, and the medicine boxes weren't by the stalls, but all hung up in a grid on back wall... that was also covered in the barn's drapes. I can't imagine the bills for the equipment and set-up/tear-down that those clients paid.

By the time you have so many boxes that they aren't all conveniently by the horse, I think that's over the top.... even for a matchy-match like me.
    LOL, I've done a set up like that one - but we used the "medicine boxes" for rider supplies (helmet, hairnets and so forth.)

They were conveniently located in the "dressing room" stall. I thought it was actually pretty clever.
    -PaulaEdwina