The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can anybody tell me what a "C" flap is on a CWD?

Thanks!
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

That relates to degree of forwardness so I think C is pretty forward?

Yup a C flap is a forward flap. L, I believe, is for a fairly straight flap.

really? I always thought that the 1, 2, 3, or 4 was the degree of forwardness and the AA, A, AB, C, and L were the lengths with AA being short, A being normal, AB being slightly longer and more forward, C being longer, and L being long. Which to me makes a little more sense when I put it together with what's on my saddle which is a 3AB because if AB is the forwardness then I'd need closer to a C, where as a 2AB wasn't forward enough for me, but a 3AB was.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

My understanding is that 1/2/3/4 is indicative of flap length. A and AA are short-forward flap designations found on the CWD monoflap and indicate a forward flap with a slightly higher cut to where the knee is supposed to fall. So that part, at least, is extremely similar to the nomenclature of other French brands like Antares and Devoucoux.

But then CWD goes off on their own primrose path of nomenclature. On CWD non-monoflap models, a C indicates a forward flap--but in CWD nomenclature, the longer their C flap, the more forward it is too. So for example, a 4C flap is not only longer than a 3C flap, it's slightly more forward than the 3C flap too. Ditto with the relationship between 3C and 2C, 2C and 1C. It's kind of a brilliant system considering that long-legged riders also tend to need more forward flaps, but it's a confusing nomenclature for people buying their saddles.

I've never seen an AB flap on a CWD, only on an Antares. Doesn't mean that there's no such thing in CWD, just that I haven't seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    really? I always thought that the 1, 2, 3, or 4 was the degree of forwardness and the AA, A, AB, C, and L were the lengths with AA being short, A being normal, AB being slightly longer and more forward, C being longer, and L being long. Which to me makes a little more sense when I put it together with what's on my saddle which is a 3AB because if AB is the forwardness then I'd need closer to a C, where as a 2AB wasn't forward enough for me, but a 3AB was.
    Nope. As others have said, the number is the length and the letter is the degree of forwardness. Not sure what the "AB" designator is, I've only dealt with "L" and "C" from them, but with a longer flap you are going to get a different shape to compensate for the longer leg, so makes sense that the "3" would fit you when the "2" wasn't forward enough.

The A thing is true for Antares or Devoucoux only, AND for the monoflap CWDs.
    CWD jumping saddles's flaps come in either C (forward) or L (straighter) and size 1 to 5 (1 and 5 being extremely rare) as Jn4jenny explains.

Yes, C indicates a forward flap. I ride in a 4C to accommodate a very long thigh.

Thanks for the info, clarifies it for me.
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

Just the opposite I think. My regular flap CWD was a 2 and used letters for degree of forwardness, Butet also uses 0 - 4(?) for flap length and letters for forwardness.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Just the opposite I think. My regular flap CWD was a 2 and used letters for degree of forwardness, Butet also uses 0 - 4(?) for flap length and letters for forwardness.
    Butet I believe does .5 for forward flaps. So 2 would be a longer than average flap, but a 2.5 flap would be longer than average, forward flap.