The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The bad neighbor construction project thread.

Next door neighbor decided rather than renovate their crappy 1920's bungalow, they would add on a 2 story, 500 square foot addition that they designed themselves. I will try to add a picture of the thing now looming over my front yard. My other neighbor christened it the Hillbilly Highrise.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6980958...7632725000659/

I have no privacy anymore, but it is their right and the building department approved their plans.

Now their original house has boarded up windows, and plywood covering where their old front door was. They probably have no plans or money to fix it. They truly thought this would be easier than renovating their existing house.

Nothing we can do but plant trees. And no, one cannot compel people to hang curtains.

Anyone else care to vent?
    Last edited by Bristol Bay; Feb. 9, 2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: tweaked
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Thats what you call bad neighbors? Neither one affects you other than what you let it. Fireplaces are perfectly legal. Thats what they are for, to burn wood. If the building inspector approved your neighbors add on, whats it to you?

Im sure your wood-burning neighbor considers that he has a lousy neighbor, too.

1 members found this post helpful.

Move to a community with an HOA if you want restrictions.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    Im sure your wood-burning neighbor considers that he has a lousy neighbor, too.
    So true!

I have to say I was expecting a lot worse. OP, I don't mean to shock you, but many people in my area (myself included) heat our WHOLE HOUSES with wood. Anyone who got a letter like yours would roll their eyes and you would thenceforth be known as the "crazy smoke lady."

And while the addition is hideous, I totally agree with you, it IS easier to build new than renovate.

OP I have no comment on your neighbor woes, but I will air my beef. I've complained before about the neighbors that let their dogs out, under the cover of darkness, to poop in my yard. I'm starting a front yard fence savings plan.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I guess we're bad neighbors too then. We bought a 1950 ranch house, tore the roof off of it, and built 2 more stories + a backyard addition. We can look straight down the neighbor's yard and he can't see the water anymore...but we needed the space so both our families can come visit.

Just put up a TALL fence and/or some nice thick arborvitae!

A lot of people here have fireplaces (we have 2) and/or wood stoves. It's almost a necessity, when you lose power in the winter.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    So true!

I have to say I was expecting a lot worse. OP, I don't mean to shock you, but many people in my area (myself included) heat our WHOLE HOUSES with wood. Anyone who got a letter like yours would roll their eyes and you would thenceforth be known as the "crazy smoke lady."

And while the addition is hideous, I totally agree with you, it IS easier to build new than renovate.
    I think it is different when in hillside developments where you need only have a 5 foot buffer between your house and the neighbors. And lots here are 30 feet wide. So that belching fireplace is maybe 40 feet from my windows. Cough, cough. A whiff of a fireplace is great, but breathing the smoke? Not so much.

Think how the occupants of the hillbilly highrise must feel. That fireplace is 10 feet from their highrise windows.

And this in the city with the worst air pollution in the country.

Some people still have the ruins of incinerators in their backyards. Those wen out with the Eisenhower administration. Then around Thanksgiving we were in the Chicago 'burbs, and when I asked about all the fires I saw everywhere, DH said, "Oh, that's just people burning their leaves." But here, no way that would be legal.
    A helmet saved my life.

I don't understand the ~~~OMG privacy~~~ concerns because I've never lived in a house where my neighbors couldn't look into my yard if they were so inclined. The addition is ugly to me (as is the boarded-up house) and probably looks out of place in your neighborhood, but you're complaining that the windows are so much higher than your hedge and that they didn't hang curtains, right? I mean, to me such a complaint is just...odd. If I want privacy in my house, I hang curtains. I don't expect full privacy in my yard unless I live on an acreage without any other houses right next to mine.

Just in case people have no idea where the smoke posts are coming from, this is what the op deleted:

One neighbor insists on using his fireplace every. Freaking. Day. I live in CA, so for us, 45 degrees is freezing. I can't even crack a window. I let the dogs out the other night and got an instant headache from the smoke. I wrote him a letter, sent a link to a very informative website (burningissues.org) and asked him to please consider that his cozy living room is everyone else's air pollution. That slowed him down for about a week.

3 members found this post helpful.

That is a really strange looking addition.

Ahahaahaaahaaaaaa!! It looks like a creeper robot peering into your yard lololol!!

Sorry you hate it but, hey, we all have neighbor issues. Mine ate drunk brawling potheads who always want to borrow things. At least they haven't put an r2d2 monument up, right??
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    Just in case people have no idea where the smoke posts are coming from, this is what the op deleted:

One neighbor insists on using his fireplace every. Freaking. Day. I live in CA, so for us, 45 degrees is freezing. I can't even crack a window. I let the dogs out the other night and got an instant headache from the smoke. I wrote him a letter, sent a link to a very informative website (burningissues.org) and asked him to please consider that his cozy living room is everyone else's air pollution. That slowed him down for about a week.
    Yeah, I edited that out because it seemed more of a culture thing, with so many horse people living in more rural areas and using fireplaces all the time.

Although why did you save that? That is weird.

Haha, twotru, it does look like R2D2. Their son is schizophrenic and loves to play feedback on his guitar, so the house beeps and blurts as well.
    A helmet saved my life.

I didnt save it, I just backed up to it. I really think initial posts shouldnt be able to be edited once there have been responses. I can really confuse things.

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh even better LOL!! Heeheee!! Well, ya gotta laugh, right??
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Sorry you hate it but, hey, we all have neighbor issues. Mine ate drunk brawling potheads who always want to borrow things.
    And this is a bad thing?

I'm not saying this is your situation, or it's about the OP, but I have a strange one.

A woman who had worked in the same organization retired, but she lived in one of the far 'burbs places that had a real upscale vibe, and because she was one of the first people who moved there seemed to think she was some taste and building monitor (self-appointed). The people behind her built a really cool, and big tree house for their kids, complete with windows. I saw pictures and thought it was really neat, but you could barely see it from her property. She decided that the neighbors had built this solely for the purpose of spying on her. I always wondered what she was up to that was so interesting, and my guess was nothing at all.

OP-I wonder how well built the addition is, and if someday you'll hear a crash, and it will disappear into a heap. There was a house near my parents where something similar happened, but the addition was built by decent contractors by the previous owner. A hoarder moved in, when the front needed work, he moved to the back, and over the years the place totally deteriorated to the point where the chimney crashed down one day (fortunately no one was hurt), and the structure of the addition started to deteriorate too. I understand the place eventually was sold for virtually nothing, and is probably going to be bulldozed.

I know what you mean about getting smoked out, but my problem isn't usually the neighbors, especially the ones who seem to be burning green wood. I live where the controlled burn smoke goes, usually at night, and I've had problems with the house being full of smoke, to the point where I'm afraid the smoke alarms are going to go off. Last year the worst of it lasted for almost two weeks, so I feel your pain.

My suggestion is a patio cover, and using sun awnings that roll down when you are outside. You can do that with pergolas also. I also don't understand not putting up blinds or curtains of some kind either. I really don't care to see in people's houses all the time either.
    Last edited by JanM; Feb. 9, 2013 at 06:08 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Neighbors ... I serve on a local planning board. The most ironic statement I've heard many times is: "I moved here for the (rural character, countryside, or open spaces.) Don't let my nieghbor build his house so close to my yard/house"

I've always wanted to shout at the speaker ... "You should have purchased the land instead of just a 1/2 acre lot" ... instead I nod silently and move to the next speaker.

Bought a nicely cared for, moderately priced house in a nice small neighborhood when my son was small. Lots of upgrades well done by the previous owners. Great neighborhood for kids.

The idiots four doors down and kitty corner from my house had regular parties combining kids and alcohol. The first month we were there they smashed the jack-o-lanterns my then 5yo son had worked so hard on, along with several others in the neighborhood. I actually had a little talk with them, and things seemed to improve.

But what I wasn't prepared for, was the guy burning the wiring from his electrical/cable/phone business, in the wood burning stove he had in their garage. We were directly downwind of it. Not so much a problem in the winter with the windows closed - but when he'd burn it in the summer - and our house was cooled by a whole house fan. It honestly had us gagging in the house.

Those who passed by walking/jogging could detect it, but were a bit intimidated by the jerk. I asked him to stop repeatedly, but finally filed a complaint with the Town. First was told they couldn't do anything about what someone burns in their wood stove. Then the Town asked us to call the police when it happened, but the fire would magically be put out before they got there.

Their son told our neighbor's son, that his father had set something up and could monitor the phone calls on our portable house phones and knew when I was calling the police, as well as monitoring other calls.

I couldn't move out of there fast enough.

As far as your neighbors with the windows go - hey, I'd put up a couple of flag poles - or maybe string a banner between two. Put what you like on the banner. Might make it interesting.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Mine ate drunk brawling potheads who always want to borrow things.
    So was that like eating a pot laced brownie?? (eating a "drunk, brawling pothead"). Did they get stoned from it?

Neighbors ... I serve on a local planning board. The most ironic statement I've heard many times is: "I moved here for the (rural character, countryside, or open spaces.) Don't let my nieghbor build his house so close to my yard/house"

I've always wanted to shout at the speaker ... "You should have purchased the land instead of just a 1/2 acre lot" ... instead I nod silently and move to the next speaker.
    My favorite is, "We moved here for the excellent schools and country atmosphere and fresh farmer's market. We want to live "green"...but those cows SMELL! And those tractors block traffic! They have got to go!"
    Last edited by MistyBlue; Feb. 9, 2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added quote
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

4 members found this post helpful.