The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alternative OTC antihistimines for Histall?

Is anyone aware of any alternative OTC antihistimine or allergy treatments besides Histall/Anihist? Looks like they're not going to have that back on the market in time for me to get my gelding on something prior the allergy season kicking in here (mid-late March!) Vet said she could give me something requiring a script if needed but I wanted to make sure I was out of other options first. FWIW he's already on MSM and we usually start double dosing that in the spring too. Thanks!

Will be following this also. Ani-Hist helps my horse immensely. I am so disappointed to not be able to get it anymore. I am not sure if it is the guaifenesin or the antihistimine ingrediant or both that helps him so much. I know that the guaifenesin is the same thing that is in Mucinex, and I may get some to try for him. His problem is exercise-induced coughing, and the Ani-hist makes his coughing productive to where he works out of it better.
    friend of bar.ka

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes Histall has been a lifesaver for my boy too. I worry what the summer will be like without it
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

*bump* So none??
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

I've used SmartBreathe with some success for my mare. Cavalor also has a couple of products you could look at.

I just read something on a friend's facebook about organic iodine for a horse that has hay allergies...?

Maybe look into that? I know nothing more about it.

I have an older mare with seasonal heaves and allergies, and the supplement Clarity (available through Valley Vet) has helped her immensely. I had tried a number of other supps, including Anihist and similar products, with no results. I was considering retiring her because she would have coughing/wheezing episodes when she was in even light work and I refuse to keep her on steroids just to keep working her (she is my lesson horse). Then a few years ago, a friend recommended Clarity --I tried it and my horse has almost NO flare ups while on it -- it's truly amazing. Now I always keep her on it during warmer months, and at 24-years-old, she is still going strong! I'd highly recommend it.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will check into all of these!