The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Florida Equine Rescue" Couple Arrested

http://www.news-press.com/article/20...rebottom%22%7D

A Hendry County couple is in custody after being charged with 19 counts each of animal abandonment.

Michael and Heather Walsh of Fort Denaud, who run Florida Equine Rescue, were arrested Thursday and are in the Hendry County Jail. Many of their horses have been sent to other nonprofit caretaking organizations and, on Friday night, only a lone horse could be seen behind a locked gate in their sandy pasture.

According to its Facebook page, Florida Equine Rescue is “a nonprofit charitable organization created to rescue neglected, abused and abandoned horses all over Florida. The current state of our economy has created an over abundance of horses that need to be saved either from death or illegal slaughter farms.”

But somewhere between that goal and Thursday, something went off-course. Hendry County law enforcement got involved last month after a call came in Jan. 4 from someone concerned about how much weight the Walshes’ horses seemed to have lost.

In the arrest report, investigator Mark White wrote that the first time he visited the Walshes’ property, he saw about 35 horses, most of whom were very underweight. He later met with Sheriff Steve Whidden, a veterinarian and a representative from the state Department of Agriculture, before visiting the Walshes Jan. 7.

“They stated (they) were getting into a bind with (too) many horses. Michael told Sheriff Whidden that the horses belonged to he and Heather and they were not willing to give them up. After a long discussion and numerous verbal warnings ... they agreed to rehome a few horses,” the reports says.

What followed was a month of warnings, promises and follow-ups, but most of the horses seemed to decline, White wrote. By the time of the Feb. 7 arrests, the horses were wormy and emaciated.

“it is determined that Michael and Heather Walsh have neglected to provide care for 19 of their horses. ... They abandoned these horses causing them to suffer injury and malnutrition,” the report says.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

1 members found this post helpful.

What is more shocking is that the people said they couldn't care for them all and the horses were still left in their care. I applaud the work that rescues are trying to do but the horse people in this nation need to see the light (or reality, really).We need to realize there are too many rescues that are on the brink of just this situation and get rid of the horses that have "no use" value. Times are changing and not for the better and the horses are suffering for it.

2 members found this post helpful.

That would not be the rescue lady that put up the highway signs on highways with rescue money, for people to donate to her rescue so she could "save horses from slaughter"?
    Something seemed a bit fishy there.
    I remember having a discussion or two with some Florida rescue name with a similar name about that.

Hoarders disguised as a rescue. It happens all the time.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

9 members found this post helpful.

I looked at their FB page and judging by the pictures, I'm not too sure they know horses that well. Or the value of a GN trailer.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Makes me sick. We can't feed them but no, we won't give them up. I think the minute they said they can't afford to care for them all should be OK, surrender at least half of them right now or get arrested and they ALL get seized. Jerks.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Hoarders disguised as a rescue. It happens all the time.
    Exactly and it gives many of those who are doing a lot of good a bad name.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    Exactly and it gives many of those who are doing a lot of good a bad name.
    Which is why you have to be pretty thorough checking out a rescue before you donate. And you're right...the good ones suffer because of it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That would not be the rescue lady that put up the highway signs on highways with rescue money, for people to donate to her rescue so she could "save horses from slaughter"?
    Something seemed a bit fishy there.
    I remember having a discussion or two with some Florida rescue name with a similar name about that.
    Bluey, your memory is totally wrong on this subject.

I remember that thread and how you tried to twist it around as though this group was doing something "fishy". Those billboards signs were about raising awareness of horse slaughter and not asking people to donate to that rescue so she could "save horses from slaughter."

Someone from the rescue was even on the thread and very politely answered you with facts that you did not like so you decided they must be "fishy". The facts she provided you with on the thread was that the money for the billboard awareness campaign came from a separate fund dedicated exclusivey for the billboards and that all donors were aware of what they were donating for.

A quick search showed that the group that is responsible for the billbards against horse slaughter from that thread is Angel Acres in Pennsylvania. They have a website dedicated to the billbard project and it is still very clear that the donation funds are for the billboard awareness project.

http://www.stopslaughteringus.com/

They also have a website for their rescue at:

http://www.angelacreshorsehavenrescue.com/

I don't know anything about Angel Acres Rescue and am not affiliated with them, I just remember how Bluey went off the rails on another thread and now just totally misrepresented what happened on that thread to try to link it to this disaster of a rescue from this thread.
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

Quote Originally Posted by ADM7040 View Post
    Bluey, your memory is totally wrong on this subject.

I remember that thread and how you tried to twist it around as though this group was doing something "fishy". Those billboards signs were about raising awareness of horse slaughter and not asking people to donate to that rescue so she could "save horses from slaughter."

Someone from the rescue was even on the thread and very politely answered you with facts that you did not like so you decided they must be "fishy". The facts she provided you with on the thread was that the money for the billboard awareness campaign came from a separate fund dedicated exclusivey for the billboards and that all donors were aware of what they were donating for.

A quick search showed that the group that is responsible for the billbards against horse slaughter from that thread is Angel Acres in Pennsylvania. They have a website dedicated to the billbard project and it is still very clear that the donation funds are for the billboard awareness project.

http://www.stopslaughteringus.com/

They also have a website for their rescue at:

http://www.angelacreshorsehavenrescue.com/

I don't know anything about Angel Acres Rescue and am not affiliated with them, I just remember how Bluey went off the rails on another thread and now just totally misrepresented what happened on that thread to try to link it to this disaster of a rescue from this thread.
    Guess that you were for that rescue's actions, so to you, I was at fault there.

This is the way I remember what that was all about, in a slaughter discussion and I still think that using donation money to help horses should go to the horses:

There was talk of how rescues were using money for other than for the horses, while asking for money for the horses.
    There was this story about one rescue paying for an ad in a Florida highway.
    That one lady in Florida, on a Florida highway ad, when questioned, later said she was using money donated for that ad, not for the rescue.
    THAT sounded fishy to me, to bring that up AFTER the fact, when questions were asked.
    Of course I didn't have any way to know, so dropped it there.

I still think that those rescues living off "rescuing from slaughter" are horse traders in disguise anyway.
    They are doing exactly what horse traders do, going thru horses and re-selling them, but asking for donations to do it, so they don't have to put their own money out there.
    That is fine, their business, none of mine, but when questions come up, I will ask them, as in that one ad and where the money is coming for that.

I was wondering if these people here were the same, being in Florida, that's all.

Well, if all you were really wondering was if they were the same "being in Florida" then no, not even close. The billboard associated rescue is from PA and the billboard originally discussed was somewhere in MD.

BTW, from their website (Angel Acres in PA) they have many billboards up in the US and even in Canada now. Seems many people are willing to donate money specifically to pay for billboards to raise awareness about slaughter.
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus