The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    I'd do it, especially from a dealer where there was an x day return guarantee.

I have done it sight unseen via a proxy buyer, with good results. Proxy buyer gets them off lease from dealerships.
    How does the proxy buyer work? An off-lease Mini would be perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    I have, from a private individual. We sent a small deposit, he left the car with a friend, who brought it to us when we arrived. We had two days after the arrival to send him the rest of the money when the car was as represented. It worked out really well, but could have gone very wrong if anyone was motivated to be a jerk.
    Yes, I can see where something like that would be extremely nerve-wracking. I don't know that I could do it from an individual. Too many things could go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    My neighbor sold his old pickup thru Craiglist to someone 6 hours away.
    They paid him up front for the pickup and extra to bring it over to them, rent a car to get back home.

He was surprised that someone trusted him that much but he is really trustworthy.
    The buyer didn't even ask for references.
    I wonder about the buyer, as he could have lost all that money to a scammer.
    I sold a car through Craigslist -- a very nice man who came to see the Cruiser, fell in love, and bought it on the spot. Even though it had a blown engine. But I don't know that I'd want to buy a car from someone on Craigslist!

Thanks, everyone, for your replies! It sounds like it may not be the nightmare I was imagining. My family is very old-school: you go to a local dealer, you buy something on the lot, and you drive it. I can't see doing that. I know exactly what I want and what I'm willing to pay for it. So I'm encountering some flak for wanting to buy out of state (WAAAAY out of state!). I'm starting to think that I may need to take a road trip to Florida . . .

I bought my mini cooper (2010 Clubman) sight unseen and have been super happy with the decision. Now, I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to do so without some help. A friend's husband has a car dealership and also deals in used cars. He can purchase vehicles through some sort of auction process directly from the manufacturer as they come off lease. Its very nice as the vehicles have been reconditioned/inspected and all issues (even the smallest of paint chips) have been disclosed. It gave me some measure of comfort that I wasn't just buying someone else's problem.

That said, I was very fortunate to have a connection. I would imagine, however, that there is a used lot within a reasonable distance that operates based on the same idea. Even if they don't have a mini on the floor, they may be willing to procure you one. I'd look around and see if you can find a used dealer that seems to deal in daily rentals being sold off and off-lease vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    I bought my mini cooper (2010 Clubman) sight unseen and have been super happy with the decision. Now, I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to do so without some help. A friend's husband has a car dealership and also deals in used cars. He can purchase vehicles through some sort of auction process directly from the manufacturer as they come off lease. Its very nice as the vehicles have been reconditioned/inspected and all issues (even the smallest of paint chips) have been disclosed. It gave me some measure of comfort that I wasn't just buying someone else's problem.

That said, I was very fortunate to have a connection. I would imagine, however, that there is a used lot within a reasonable distance that operates based on the same idea. Even if they don't have a mini on the floor, they may be willing to procure you one. I'd look around and see if you can find a used dealer that seems to deal in daily rentals being sold off and off-lease vehicles.
    My friend wants me to see if my dealership will do this, but . . . I'm hesitant. I don't usually have a sales rep find me a car. I do it on my own. I think I'm more afraid of him finding something I don't want, or having it cost way too much, than I am of finding a bad car on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
    My friend wants me to see if my dealership will do this, but . . . I'm hesitant. I don't usually have a sales rep find me a car. I do it on my own. I think I'm more afraid of him finding something I don't want, or having it cost way too much, than I am of finding a bad car on my own.
    I don't think I'd go to the BMW dealership (or similarly higher end dealerships) and ask them to find me a car. I think that would definitely results in a bunch of extra costs. But I do think its worth looking around at some of the other used places in your area. They may be willing to work with you, and find you exactly what you want. You just need to discuss the terms up front, and get a breakdown of all costs.

Only once, this past November, and ironically it was a Mini Cooper! I sold my old Mini on Ebay, and had a pretty specific idea of what options I wanted in a newer one. I really didn't want to buy it new, and couldn't find a used one very nearby. Finally found the perfect one, and didn't have time to look because it was our crazy season at work. I decided that it was a reputable dealership, and a fair enough price that I could probably sell it if it turned out to be a lemon, and just took a chance on it. So far so good! It was $300 to have it brought on a car hauler, did all the paperwork by Fedex, super easy. The thing that convinced me is that really, I don't know enough about cars to look at one and see that there is anything wrong with it. So as long as a mechanic looks at it, that's probably the better option anyway.