The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Cool photo. I've always wanted to ride a cutting horse but I don't imagine I'd stay on very long.
    horse: "Uuhh, cow!"
    Me: SPLAT
    horse:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Do you EVER have anything pleasant to say?

Cool photo. I've always wanted to ride a cutting horse but I don't imagine I'd stay on very long.
    I bet you would stay on one.
    Find a cutting trainer around you and go give it a try, just for fun.

You won't be starting on a futurity/open type horse and fast cattle, but maybe on a flag or very slow cattle and a quiet, smooth horse, that will try to keep you up there, not fade out from under you.

Once you catch on that feel, it is really fun to sit there and have a horse working with you.

That is something any horsemen ought to try at least once in their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I bet you would stay on one.
    Find a cutting trainer around you and go give it a try, just for fun.

You won't be starting on a futurity/open type horse and fast cattle, but maybe on a flag or very slow cattle and a quiet, smooth horse, that will try to keep you up there, not fade out from under you.

Once you catch on that feel, it is really fun to sit there and have a horse working with you.

isn't that what stirrups and saddle horn are for?

of course, it helps to not zig when the horse zags....
    Last edited by Alagirl; Feb. 13, 2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling, as always...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

This would look perfect on my chestnut w/flaxen mane Icelandic!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post

holy cow! forget the horses-- *I* want to live here!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I love how perfectly centered the rider is over the horse. I would be hanging on for dear life with some bad whiplash!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    ...Find a cutting trainer around you and go give it a try, just for fun.

I'd love to. It's on my Equine Bucket List
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    I'd love to. It's on my Equine Bucket List
    Come on out sometime Choco!

What a neat photo..definitely something I've always wanted to try!!

Some fantastic pictures in that album, thanks for posting!

My ex (now deceased) worked for a big name cutting guy and I got to ride some dandy cutters as a result. Actually, if you have a decent seat and can leave the reins alone, you're going to be fine. It's like country western dancing, you move from the waist down while your upper body stays pretty much still and follows.

I have to brag, eons ago, I was riding a cutter, keeping him legged up, (we used my kids to run back and forth across the arena for the horse to lock on, we didn't have any steers to work, too expensive) for a lady and one day she decided we're going to a cutting in Spur, TX. Okie doke...so we got there and she asked me if I'd like to enter..."Oh, sure" says I. I don't remember the class name but some semi-big names were in it on green horses. So, I got in the arena and my name was called. I walked in, the horse took over, found his steer and we began. The turnback guys were quietly telling me what to do, or rather not to do. The only thing was, I pulled my hand up too high. My horse bicycled around and gigged him pretty good and then he got down to biz. The owner also rode him in the same class. Turns out, I won second, a pro trainers kid had beat me on a good horse. I beat the owner and won some stirrups. On the way home, she didn't say much...on which when we got home, it took to the next day for her to come pick him up and move him to another barn. I never got to ride him again... Sore loser, I guess. She had given me some german reins and took them back, too. HA!!
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    My ex (now deceased) worked for a big name cutting guy and I got to ride some dandy cutters as a result. Actually, if you have a decent seat and can leave the reins alone, you're going to be fine. It's like country western dancing, you move from the waist down while your upper body stays pretty much still and follows.

I have to brag, eons ago, I was riding a cutter, keeping him legged up, (we used my kids to run back and forth across the arena for the horse to lock on, we didn't have any steers to work, too expensive) for a lady and one day she decided we're going to a cutting in Spur, TX. Okie doke...so we got there and she asked me if I'd like to enter..."Oh, sure" says I. I don't remember the class name but some semi-big names were in it on green horses. So, I got in the arena and my name was called. I walked in, the horse took over, found his steer and we began. The turnback guys were quietly telling me what to do, or rather not to do. The only thing was, I pulled my hand up too high. My horse bicycled around and gigged him pretty good and then he got down to biz. The owner also rode him in the same class. Turns out, I won second, a pro trainers kid had beat me on a good horse. I beat the owner and won some stirrups. On the way home, she didn't say much...on which when we got home, it took to the next day for her to come pick him up and move him to another barn. I never got to ride him again... Sore loser, I guess. She had given me some german reins and took them back, too. HA!!

that is just sad!