The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to me about delivery methods for heartworm medications

In the vet's office yesterday for dog shots, when I noticed that there is a 6 month shot for heartworm medication. I currently feed monthly chewables and will need to replenish in June. So what are the pros and cons for the shots?
    I am in an area that we need to dose year round

Proheart 6 has been linked to several deaths and has been pulled from the market at least once for high rates of adverse reactions.

Heart Guard has been on the market for years and is very safe and affordable. Some of the topicals, such as Advantage Multi and Interceptor, will also address heartworm, if you are not into feeding the chewables, but I would avoid the shot like the plague.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I agree with Ruby - I always stay away from newly marketed inoculations/shots - simply because they usually do not have a great amount of experience to gauge from - if it causes adverse reactions or if it even works at all. I have always fed HeartGuard because it is pleasant to my dogs and palatable - while it may be a little more expensive in the long run, it is worth it to me to invest in something I know is effective.

It does sound like you should ask your vet for his/her recommendations: IME vets are very honest and straightforward with shots because they know a great deal of worry is backed into them.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Don't do the 6 month shot. There have been a lot of deaths from it. Vets were supposed to be trained on it and give out pamphlets before giving it, but some still don't. It's not worth the risk.

(Just google it for a bunch of complaints about it).

Thanks for the replies. I just did not have a chance to ask about it. It was to be a quiet time of the day when I went as one dog gets horribly anxious there (the other one loves any attention). But you all know things can get chaotic in a heartbeat so after the shots we bolted for the door and car.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I agree with Ruby - I always stay away from newly marketed inoculations/shots - simply because they usually do not have a great amount of experience to gauge from - if it causes adverse reactions or if it even works at all. I have always fed HeartGuard because it is pleasant to my dogs and palatable - while it may be a little more expensive in the long run, it is worth it to me to invest in something I know is effective.
    I agree. If it is a financial issue, there is a generic heartworm medication. I have used it with a dog that HeartGuard doesn't agree with (she must be allergic to something in it that makes it palatable). She still eats the generic without any doctoring at all, and it has worked really well for us. If you are concerned about the cost of the HeartGuard, you might consider asking about the generic. I purchase it from my vet. I personally would avoid the shot. I've just heard too many horror stories about that to switch from the monthly preventative.

It's so easy to give a monthly preventative, and so very inexpensive to use the generic stuff, I don't see why anyone would risk the injection, given it's history. I can't even recall a vet of mine carrying it in years!

Thanks again. Just asking about it. Cost is not a factor with the chewables nor is the time as they get them on the 1st of each month. I buy a year at a time. I saw this on a info-loop while waiting but did not get a chance to ask per the reasons earlier stated.