The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    Assuming your saddle fits, can you use just an ultra thin-line pad or should you combine the ultra thin-line pad with another pad such as a contour or half-pad?
    I would never combine an Ultra ThinLine with a half pad. If you need to adjust the fit, you can get the ThinLine half-pad that has the removable shims. As for contour pad, do you mean a sheepskin show pad? A ThinLine could be used over that, yes.

1 members found this post helpful.

On most horses, there's a half pad and a/p pad between my saddle and the horse. I ride a wide variety of horses and it's rare my saddle fits any horse well enough to ride without a half pad. I could ride my old lease horse without a half pad, but he's been the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I would never combine an Ultra ThinLine with a half pad. If you need to adjust the fit, you can get the ThinLine half-pad that has the removable shims. As for contour pad, do you mean a sheepskin show pad? A ThinLine could be used over that, yes.
    Yes, I was talking about a sheepskin show pad. I usually show/ride in a Fleeceworks Sheepskin Countour pad, but I was wondering if its okay to show/ride in the Ultra ThinLine contour pad or do you really need something else as well?
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

My old TB mare who gets used as a beginner lesson horse wears a square cotton pad with a wool fleece half pad. She's old and the beginners are obviously not balanced. Sometimes she also wears a Thinline.

For schooling and non formal stuff my gelding wears one of the obnoxiously colored TuffRider square pads with a black Thinline pad over it.

For formal things like hunting or shows, I have thin white shaped pads I use with a white Thinline.

For endurance rides he wears a different TuffRider pad for each loop, the Thinline and I usually add a sheepskin half pad.

I use thinline pads beneath my saddles. I wasn't really a believer, I mean it's so thin! but I got one of the seconds from the thinline store on Ebay for a steal.

I had an instant change in my horse. I took the pad off a week later and she would hardly leave the mounting block. Saddles fit well otherwise.

I use a baby pad and a (front) riser pad. My saddle sits too low on her withers so it's a temporary fix till the saddle fitter can come out.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

A plain quilted AP pad, my saddle fits my pony so there's no need for anything else!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Fleece half pad on the bottom (horse seems to like fleece against his skin more than anything), then contoured baby pad (keeps him from getting as sweaty under the saddle flaps), then Thinline Trifecta, then saddle.

My fleece half-pad is a cheapie (synthetic, not real sheepskin) but easily machine-washable... I thought the Thinline might have been unnecessary with the fluffy fleece, but one ride without the TL was It is just flat-out phenomenal, what a difference the TL makes. Never leave home without it!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    Yes, I was talking about a sheepskin show pad. I usually show/ride in a Fleeceworks Sheepskin Countour pad, but I was wondering if its okay to show/ride in the Ultra ThinLine contour pad or do you really need something else as well?
    Oh! I see. I wouldn't ride in just the ThinLine because I feel like the underside of it is sort of rough and would rub? For one like this, you could ride in it alone though: http://www.smartpakequine.com/thinli...lls-6925p.aspx

My one horse lost a lot of muscling as he was off for some time so his saddle is not fitting as well as it used to. The fitter did what she could with the wool, and now he's going in a regular pad with a Thinline on top. Once he fills in again, hopefully we can drop the Thinline. I had him in a Mattes sheepskin at first, but it was a little too much.

Other horse who has a saddle that fits is in just an EcoGold pad under that to keep it in place - he's wide and round and everything rolls around on him!

Then the other one -- he's in between the other two, so of course he needs his own saddle eventually. For now, he's in the too-wide one with a Barnsby No Slip pad (thicker than the EcoGold) and the Thinline. Seems to be working fine for him.

I don't remember the exact name of the Thinline I use, but it is the one that you can add shims to if needed, and I like how it has spine clearance, unlike a previous Thinline pad I had that was just the flat pad and didn't seem to work as well for my guys.

Add me to the square pad and thinline crowd. Less is more.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

thanks everyone for all of your responses! My horse does seem to be pretty fine with just a baby pad and normal (not fat) square cotton pad. However, I'm tempted to try a thinline just to see. Also once we find the right saddle, my boyfriend and I will need to figure out the proper padding for the horse that he is going to acquire. I like using baby pads because that way I wash my saddle pads less frequently. But I sure wish someone made a baby pad that was as big as my saddle pad- the baby pads I have found are wide enough but not long enough : (

I ALWAYS have an Ultra Thinline, no matter what, though that is more for ME than for the pony (back broken in 2 places, and that darn thing really does make a huge difference). All my saddles fit my pony well (all regularly fitted to her), so other than the Thinline just a thin cotton pad, for showing or schooling.

I never sit on a horse with out a Thinline pad. I have a Thinline sheepskin half pad that is shimmable if I want too. And my embroidered AP Pad with a Eventer on the corners that my hubby gave me for Christmas ( I never show without it ).

Just a square cotton saddlepad.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

With my Amerigo that horsie didn't like even though it "fit" according to the saddle fitter I used a normal square pad and my Ogilvy, and just the Ogilvy for shows. Now that I have a CWD that fits horsie great, I just use a plain square pad underneath is since it seems too rocky with the Ogilvy, Fleeceworks and Mattes half-pad, so I am looking at getting one of the Thinline pads with the sheepskin rolls on the edges.

I use an Ogilvy every day. Thin baby pad plus ogilvy for jumpers or schooling and hunter ogilvy plus fitted pad for the hunters. My old horse needed front shims so it was great to be able to add those to either ogilvy.

My mare has a well-fitting saddle, but she has incredibly sensitive skin, so we have to use a sheepskin to keep her happy. I have a Fleeceworks contour pad now, but it is shredding (and it is less than a year old) so I'm looking at getting a Mattes pad. And she gets a Thinline Ultra pad on top, just because she has a history of back pain and her reactions to it are severe (think rearing and flipping over backwards). I've tried the incredibly basic (just a square cotton quilt pad, and a square cotton pad with the thinline) but she's always just a little sore, or the cotton takes hair off/chafes in spots, so she gets the fleece and thinline.

With this combo horsey is happy.

I have my thinline ultra on on back on track square pad. My new jumper started having back issues a few months after I bought him, talked to the previous owners said he is a different horse with the thinline pad. He absolutely is. Softer, happier, quieter. I was wondering where the horse I bought went, although he was never bad (he's like riding butter he's so soft) he seemed more fidgety and wound up.

Bought the thinline ultra half pad and he was exactly how he was in October the first time I rode him. I only feel guilty now I didn't ask sooner!

Re: which baby pads-- I really like the Eous contoured baby pads. I have 4 of them, all in white, so I can just toss 'em in the washing machine with bleach and they come out looking good as new. They're the only contoured baby pads I could find; with my high-wither OTTB, I really need contoured ones.

(And they're cheap, too-- under $10 per pad, if you hunt around.)
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"