The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i have always given my compost away on CL or Freecycle. I have met some great folks and some would come by year after year.

I (knock wood) have not had any creepy or worrysome folks come by.

In general i set a time and let folks eother bring a truck and i would use my tractor, or they can bring a shovel and bags/buckets.

its a great way to repurpose!

oh and fwiw, i would actually compost it before giving it away..... it was lovely stuff!

we have a HUGE pile of manure, we had all our paddocks cleaned out at the beginning of the year, mostly really nice topsoil that had turned into horrendous mud, but a decent amount of manure too, esp since we've been cleaning the paddocks out by hand weekly.

we have ads up on CL all the time - I have my husband's number on there, they have to call him and set up an appointment to come out. I never tell people it's at our home, it's at a place of business (although we live on the property too). People have the option of shovelling it themselves for free, or we load their truck for them with our tractor for $10. Most people choose to have us load it for them....quicker I guess.

This is a slight tangent but has anyone had success giving away semi-fresh/non-composted manure? I have 2 horses on our farm and we have a dumpster and no tractor, so the manure just gets piled up and not turned- I've been thinking of giving it away in the spring but not sure if people would be interested in fresher stuff. Any experience? Hauling the dumpster away is expensive, would love to give it away for free!

Quote Originally Posted by She's Pure Gold View Post
    This is a slight tangent but has anyone had success giving away semi-fresh/non-composted manure? I have 2 horses on our farm and we have a dumpster and no tractor, so the manure just gets piled up and not turned- I've been thinking of giving it away in the spring but not sure if people would be interested in fresher stuff. Any experience? Hauling the dumpster away is expensive, would love to give it away for free!
    Mine never lasts long enough to be composted It's just bins full of fresh manure (we pick our paddock/run-in 4x a week - two horses) and people come get it just like that. I advertise it as "Horse Manure for Composting"
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

I had a guy coming for a while but he was so dead set on it being "organic" because it was for his organic garden that I ended up suggesting that maybe it wasn't. After all the horses are fed safe choice, which likely isn't strictly organic, the horses are wormed (a chemical) and one of them had salmonella at one time - probably not what you want on your veggies. So, I gave up.

We have ours on peat moss, and it is like black gold around here. The composted stuff we sell, the fresh stuff we sell at a reduced price in the off season. Pretty much just a few bucks to cover running the tractor. It dissapears every time.
    As for letting people on the property, we've a fairly open policy on that as my husband is almost always home. That said, we have dobermans and they look and sound deadly to any stranger on the property. One of them will protect the people, the other one will protect the property, so they are pretty effective weirdo deterants!