The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Giving away manure on craigslist

I might be crazy, but I actually got the idea here on the COTH. I have a small pasture and until recently didn't keep my horses in their stalls enough to make much stall waste. In November my horse had surgery and required stall rest. Now I have too much to fill our garden bed.

I put the add up about a month ago, and have met some REALLY nice people!!! Although I'm not charging a dime, we kind of have a small co-op going on now! I give stall waste, and get worms to compost and fresh honey among other things!

This week I got my first creeper. I have a little rule that I want to talk to you on the phone before I'll let you on my property. This is my home, my horses home!!!! I'm not going to let anyone on here that gives me the slightest bad feeling. As I said the first creeper has surfaced. She is insisting on having my address, but will not call me. DH says just have her over later when he is home. I told her call or don't bother me anymore. What do you guys think? Am I too crazy?

4 members found this post helpful.

No - you are not crazy. You set the rules that enable this venture to be a success and for you to establish safety which is paramount. When you said CL, my first response was DON'T. But, there are really cool people who are looking for manure. Pass on this one and disengage. If you don't answer, they can't make contact and bring more crazy. Keep that bar VERY high. Soon enough, word of mouth and a good reputation will enable you to dispose of your product. You will have a solid base of good citizens and also reduce the amount of time needed to manage the process. 20% of customers make for 80% of business. - Of course not true in all business, but it's good to remember to keep quality customers and reduce the amount of effort for all the others. Remember, just disengage from people who raise your red flags. The less they have to tangle with, the safer you will be.

Good luck and keep safe.

Agreed. Your home, your rules. It's only manure, it won't "go bad" if you have to wait for someone else to come along. If she doesn't like it, too bad....if she had a good reason for not calling you (e.g. she is mute), then she could explain that by email. But otherwise, nope.

No, I wouldn't give out my address either if they won't call me. I've met some really nice people too. One I call the crazy manure lady. She comes every year. The first year she rented a truck, then she bought a beater truck just for manure. She brings me veggies and pies.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

I just looked at this ladys email address. It is not legit, or she maybe could have it coded so I cannot see it. It is a series of letters and numbers... looks like someone just smashed the key board a couple times....

Good thing I listen to my freak flag!!!! She has also not written back since I last emailed her, telling her to make a phone work or leave me alone.

Thanks for the advice people!!! I can honestly say I felt I was being a little over the top hostile on this one, but I cannot risk my safety, or that of my horses!!!

I bagged my manure and sold it to the ladies bridge club for .50 a bag thirty, no forty years ago now. They took all the manure I had, steady and happy customers. No need for you to deal with anybody you don't feel 100% comfortable with.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

All I can say is you should charge for that manure!!

Good job listening to your instincts, I've heard of how people will answer CL ads and scope peoples' places out with no intention of buying what was advertised, and come back later and steal stuff.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Yes, listen to your gut. You also don't have to even respond if something seems off.
    i too have met some great people by sharing stuff from my farm that I had no need for. When emptying out our barn for the reno, there was 60+yr old loose hay and straw piled 8 ft deep in the center section. I had about 10 people come get some, some by the trailer-full, some just a few garbage bags. Hog farmers, organic gardeners big and small, a guy just looking for bedding for a dog run, etc. They're all super appreciative about getting it for free, and I'm happy to have it gone.
    When arranging a meeting, I make sure to casually mention things like that one of us works from home. And even if I do happen to be home alone when the person comes, I'll say something about my husband being in the house. Just little stuff that hopefully would give a potential creep second thoughts about coming back with ill intent.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't care to sell it, because I have such little land, I'd rather just have it gone! So far, as I said earlier, the people that do get it are so happy I get things in return.
    If I could figure out how to set up a real co-op I would! I am having a blast just meeting these people!!!

Still nothing from creeper lady. I must have scared her off.

One of my biggest fears is letting someone that is a bit off out here and then worrying about them coming back when I am gone. I tell all the people wether I like them or not, (and I have liked them all so far) they are not welcome back with out contacting me first.
    I have no trespassing signs up (want to know why? think kid in pasture!)
    I have my horse trailer that I use to block the only gate out to the pasture/barn.
    I am thinking of a lock on the gate, but wouldn't any thief be able to cut through that with little effort?

Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Katy9532 View Post
    I don't care to sell it, because I have such little land, I'd rather just have it gone! So far, as I said earlier, the people that do get it are so happy I get things in return.
    If I could figure out how to set up a real co-op I would! I am having a blast just meeting these people!!!

Still nothing from creeper lady. I must have scared her off.

One of my biggest fears is letting someone that is a bit off out here and then worrying about them coming back when I am gone. I tell all the people wether I like them or not, (and I have liked them all so far) they are not welcome back with out contacting me first.
    I have no trespassing signs up (want to know why? think kid in pasture!)
    I have my horse trailer that I use to block the only gate out to the pasture/barn.
    I am thinking of a lock on the gate, but wouldn't any thief be able to cut through that with little effort?

Any other suggestions?
    I also list mine for free on CL and have had quite a few people come by. I always keep my pitbull and hounds outside when I know they are coming, then make them wait outside the gate while I put the hounds inside and the pit on a leash, the let them through the gate. Too bad they don't know my pit would kill them with kisses I think (hope) it's enough to make them think twice about coming unannounced or when I'm not home.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

I agree with appoinment only.

I would also require that they call you on your cell. That way, you have their phone number in case something hinky happens.

I sell my compost for a small fee because I load it onto a pick up or landscape trailer for the people. It's been a win-win for me doing it this way and I'd rather have people take a lot at once rather than a few bags here and there. I've been doing it this way for at least 3 or 4 years and it works out great.

My barn owner does this as well (by appt only) weve had really good experiences and met some nice local farmers and gardeners. We will also load it with a bobcat into the truck, but only at prespecified times.

I sell mine. I have a self serve area next to the road. I actually cant believe how the stuff goes. People track me down or find my number when the pile is empty. So much for trying to hide. But I created the monster now it must be fed.

Curious what people charge, if you don't mind. I give away to a few friends, but end up spreading the rest. Been trying to get DH on board to put it on CL and maybe get a few $
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I give mine away free on CL too! I do the same thing...they must email me their info, then we must talk on the phone before I give out my address. I have had a few keep asking for my address and I just ignore them. I have met some nice people and gotten some cool stuff too! Tomatoes, tomato plants...and have people who call me back every spring to come out. I had one guy rent a trailer and fill up several large trailers worth. Some people bring trash cans or trash bags. I didn't want to charge either. Just wanted it gone! Now that we use pelleted bedding and turn and move it more, we don't have nearly as much. But it was interesting! I was able to weed out the creepers and just meet really nice people!

This is a good idea. I was wondering how I was going to dispose of the poop. When I put an ad on CL, I state I don't take emails, they can text or call me, otherwise I don't respond.

I followed one email and it was from Germany...yeah, they don't have horse poop in Germany. I figgered it was one of the spammer/scammer people.

I just read a thing on FB about making manure 'tea' for your gardens. Bag up the manure, the buyer uses it like a huge tea bag in a gallon jug and then pours the tea onto their garden and roses. It can be reused several times too.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    This is a good idea. I was wondering how I was going to dispose of the poop. When I put an ad on CL, I state I don't take emails, they can text or call me, otherwise I don't respond.

I followed one email and it was from Germany...yeah, they don't have horse poop in Germany. I figgered it was one of the spammer/scammer people.

I just read a thing on FB about making manure 'tea' for your gardens. Bag up the manure, the buyer uses it like a huge tea bag in a gallon jug and then pours the tea onto their garden and roses. It can be reused several times too.
    I will not advertise my phone number, once they email me, I give it and then they must set up an appointment. All I have is a cell, and I don't want the whole of CL having it.

We use "compost tea" all the time. It is great for our crops!!!!!

When I sold a car, I put my phone number in the ad backwards. It worked out well.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    Curious what people charge, if you don't mind. I give away to a few friends, but end up spreading the rest. Been trying to get DH on board to put it on CL and maybe get a few $
    I charge $10 for a small or mid sized pickup and $15 for a truck or landscape trailer. I guess it depends your area. My compost does go through at least a 3 step aging/aeration process, so people do seem to prefer that and are willing to pay..

I sell mine for 2 dollars a bag. (50lb size) As I said I have trouble keeping it in stock. My DH thought I was absolutely crazy when I painted up the sign and put it out there. Well that was until the $$$ started rolling in. Now he thinks I should charge 3 dollars a bag instead. I even had people calling me after the season close down and wanted it. I dont post my phone# or advertise so they have to do some homework to get me. (I spend most of my time hiding out in the barn or my garden) They even hit up my mothers SO, to try to get an in on my manure. I mean thats just crazy.

Seriously people can laugh at my manure for sale pile all they want, but manure management is a serious issue for a lot of horse farms. This was one of my more brilliant ideas, If I do say so myself.