The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is with products being backordered everywhere?

I have been trying to buy everything from jeans to a saddle, and at least 4 out of 5 products is on backorder at any given store.

What gives?

Monaco half chaps are backordered at Dover until MAY. Their knit jean breeches have been backordered for more than a month and it doesn't seem like there could have been a run on those. Can't order Tredstep boots from ANY store. Old Navy regularly sells out of most sizes and doesn't restock for weeks.

I find it hard to believe that these major retailers have this much issue with inventory management, so where's the fruitbat?

Makes it really hard for me to want to give a company money when they're insistent on not having anything for me to buy.

I've run into similar issues. My only guess is they can't afford to make a surplus anymore so their stock is low.

container fell off ship, Chinses New Year, west coast long shoreman strike, train wrecked (even without reading a thread on COTH trains do and can wreck), inventory reductions to keep from paying state inventory taxes, failure of purchasing in ordering process... I can think of a few more reason why something that once was easily available because it was made locally is now on back order becasue it now has a cheaper product that looks like the real thing coming from a village in the greater far east

1 members found this post helpful.

Incorrect forecasting
    Improper accounting
    Low cash flow

Check other retailers and you may find some. It depends on how long the back order has been. Go to less commonly used retailers
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Incorrect forecasting
    Improper accounting
    Low cash flow

Check other retailers and you may find some. It depends on how long the back order has been. Go to less commonly used retailers
    I have been, but for example, I order products I am unsure about through Dover because of their satisfaction guarantee.

Others, like Victory Canter, etc are drop shippers which makes the shipping slow and returns more difficult (I can simply drive to a Dover store or to Smartpak to return things.)

JCPenney manages to keep items in stock, and they're struggling a ridiculous amount right now-- so I find it a bit annoying that retailers who are basically in the luxury market of horse items have zero stock, and I'm not impressed with brands who can't keep their retail partners supplied.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    I'm not impressed with brands who can't keep their retail partners supplied.
    humm, if the retailer does not order the items the manufacturer cannot ship it to them...why did you run out?... under your guidelines you should have a spare or spares rather than depend upon an unreliable supply system.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    humm, if the retailer does not order the items the manufacturer cannot ship it to them...why did you run out?... under your guidelines you should have a spare or spares rather than depend upon an unreliable supply system.
    Dover is telling me that Tredstep sent them 10 pairs in random sizes, no idea when they'll get more. Smartpak says the same thing.

Tell me why I should then support Tredstep by buying items from them that they haven't even made yet, have no idea when they will deliver them?

Scheniders is out of stock of basically any sheet in size 75-84. No stock, expect more in MAY. That doesn't do me much good, does it?

I suppose I could have kept a supply of items on hand, but without knowing what size my as-yet-unpurchased horse would be, that is a bit difficult. Nor did I anticipate that I would need a spare pair of boots because my schooling boots blew a zipper, since they're only 9 months old. Dover would happily replace them except they can't get any boots that will fit me in any finite time, apparently.

That's pretty normal for Schneider's this time of year...it is February. They'll be stocking next years models in May or so.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Scheniders is out of stock of basically any sheet in size 75-84. No stock, expect more in MAY. That doesn't do me much good, does it?
    Can't help with the Treadsteps, but when you're talking about seasonal items like blankets and clothing....well, that's what you get for ordering late, sistah!

They bought a certain amount to have on hand for their "peak" season. (For blankets, that would have been starting in about September, ending probably around Christmas. Same with most winter clothes....spring stuff is rolling out now.) It is SMART of them to not have so much left over that now, mid-February and way past the season for these items, they can make sure all the late shoppers can get any size they want.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Can't help with the Treadsteps, but when you're talking about seasonal items like blankets and clothing....well, that's what you get for ordering late, sistah!

They bought a certain amount to have on hand for their "peak" season. (For blankets, that would have been starting in about September, ending probably around Christmas. Same with most winter clothes....spring stuff is rolling out now.) It is SMART of them to not have so much left over that now, mid-February and way past the season for these items, they can make sure all the late shoppers can get any size they want.
    I get that, but they have every size except 78 (what I need), and I'm not sure anyone needs sheets in May, either, yet that's when they're getting more.

I also guess I don't really feel comfortable buying clothing that I'll wear in february, in August. Maybe that's just me as well.

Still, year round things like boots, saddles, even saddle pads are all out of stock.

At least some of it is probably changing out of models at the end of the season or year. I have ordered items in the winter which were first backordered, then it became evident that the retailer wasn't going to get any more. I don't think the suppliers always do the best job of informing the retailers that certain items are no longer going to be made.

I hear you. I ordered a browband from SmartPak, they said that it would be backordered and ship on 1-29, then when I checked again it said that they wouldn't have any of them in until 3-1. I cancelled and bought the same thing off Ebay.

Willow's pasture mate destroyed her heavy weight (grr...) and I tried to order a new one from them... backordered. It's a little bit frustrating, but I'm usually able to find similar on Ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I hear you. I ordered a browband from SmartPak, they said that it would be backordered and ship on 1-29, then when I checked again it said that they wouldn't have any of them in until 3-1. I cancelled and bought the same thing off Ebay.

Willow's pasture mate destroyed her heavy weight (grr...) and I tried to order a new one from them... backordered. It's a little bit frustrating, but I'm usually able to find similar on Ebay.
    Add another one: monaco half chaps, back ordered until May 1 according to Dover and 3/28 according to smartpak.

I mean seriously, folks...I just want to buy a pair of boots. No one has any to sell me. I'm short and fat, nothing used on ebay will work at the moment. Help a girl out, here. My horse is naked (well, not really. She is wearing my ex-horse's size 84 rambo, she is a 76...) and my feet are naked.

Yuck! I haven't been shopping around for too much other than that... Willow wears an 81.

Have you checked out Horze? They have a few different options (for horsey clothes... at least) that I would fully endorse! And there has to be a 50% coupon floating around here somewhere.

Nudity can sometimes be really fun... but not so much in the winter.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Yuck! I haven't been shopping around for too much other than that... Willow wears an 81.

Have you checked out Horze? They have a few different options (for horsey clothes... at least) that I would fully endorse! And there has to be a 50% coupon floating around here somewhere.

Nudity can sometimes be really fun... but not so much in the winter.
    Another place that is sold out of pretty much everything that is not a 69 or an 87. Also no current 50% off code that has been posted anywhere, and their prices are wicked high without it.

Last time I buy a horse in January, I tell you.

Another place that is sold out of pretty much everything that is not a 69 or an 87. Also no current 50% off code that has been posted anywhere, and their prices are wicked high without it.

Last time I buy a horse in January, I tell you.
    Gah! How frustrating! Everybody is bored, snowed in, and shopping I guess!

I guess so. I'm not doing any buying, because so far every single thing I have wanted to buy is not in stock. I'm shopping because I need something, if I could wait 6 weeks for it to be ordered, I wouldn't be shopping for it now...

So far no luck on:

half chaps
    paddock boots
    tall boots
    dress sheet
    heavyweight turnout
    jeans
    dress shirts
    sneakers
    shims/half pad

I am pretty much giving up shopping online and will just go to the local store and buy whatever they have. By the time this stuff gets in stock and ships, I could have done that anyway. Somehow the local place seems to be able to get stuff that the big guys claim is "unavailable."

It's pretty annoying though, if the item is going to be out of stock for 4 months or you don't have it in stock and you're going to drop ship it, take it off your website.

Code wise for horze, have you tried some common valentines phrases? I ordered in January, so I don't need anything but maybe
    I LOVE YOU
    BE MINE
    HAPPY VALENTINES DAY
    CUPID
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Nope, none of those are working. I gave up trying since they're mostly out of the size I'd need, anyway.

I think LauraKY nailed it. They are ordering for the next season, reexamining what they currently have that did or didn't sell, and I bet some manufacturers have actually discontinued items and didn't tell distributors about it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White