The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think she looks very sweet. If you are able to give her time to let that crack grow out I bet you'd have a much better idea of whether she'll become anything other than a lawn ornament. If you're totally happy with having a loving lawn ornament then she's your girl, and go for it!

Please update us either way.

1 members found this post helpful.

What in the world... 400$? That is not "too expensive" they obviously do not want her to go to slaughter.

OP. She looks very well put together - I would worry about that hoof as it looks like it split past the wall.. which explains the lameness. With a good farrier on hand, it's a resolvable issue - so long as you aren't expecting to ride her tomorrow.

She looks like a lovely, lovely horse - shame to see such a 'pony' in such a sad situation. If you're willing to gamble and don't mind the money and commitment involved (what if that hoof is worse?) than I say go for it: you will be saving a horse from a potentially very miserable fate. Your heart is very obviously in the right place.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Thanks for all your input. I went out and saw her today and got more photos which you can see on the same link. She didn't appear to be off to me, but she was protecting that LF on tight turns. Understandable, because her feet are so long. Her legs were tight and cold. She was really well behaved, too. She stood there while I did jumping jacks, shook keys, and flapped a coat around her. She wouldn't let us look at her teeth, but she yawned and I got a quick look. She's probably 10-12ish. She was haltered for most of the time I was there, but she didn't go right away and crib when we let her go. I would guess that she would be fine given plenty of turnout.

I also talked to my farrier and sent him pics. He didn't seem very concerned by the crack. His bet is that even if the crack itself isn't bothering her, then whatever happened to cause the crack probably hurt a lot. He seemed very optimistic about her feet and provided some enabling.

At this point I'm just hoping that someone else will take her. But there's a little part of me that really wants to see what she could be. Arrg I'm so conflicted!
    No jumps, no glory...
    Know jumps, know glory!
    "One person's wrong lead is another person's counter canter."
    -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    What in the world... 400$? That is not "too expensive" they obviously do not want her to go to slaughter.
    I'm not sure you understand the economics of many of the places that work with the auctions (I do NOT know about this situation, just speaking in general). They pay $50-$100 for a horse then put it on the Internet and either "fund raise" to "save" a horse from slaughter or re-sell it for a profit. The "save from being shipped" approach is highly successful.

There is nothing wrong with reselling but many of the "rescues" that work near the auctions (once again, not calling this one out) raise thousands of dollars for appealing horses because they never tell their Internet audience that the horse has been bailed out. If you're okay with that, that's fine. Just understand the motivation and the marketing.

The price tag has nothing to do with whether or not they want to save her from slaughter. You are assuming that the price is high to keep her from being bought by the kill buyer. In fact, this horse has already been purchased for kill prices. In fact, certain "rescues" that used this tactic, raised a lot of money through Internet "marketing" and then shipped the horses to slaughter any way. The one I'm thinking of was on the West coast.

As for this horse? She's a nice looking mare with a kind eye who seems to be very even tempered. If someone wants to take the risk of buying her and they have a plan for what they will do if she turns out to be physically or mentally incapable of being ridden, go for it.

Least you think me too pragmatic. I have a horse that was bailed from a "rescue" that works from the New Holland auctions right now.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Meh on the price and rescues and all.

To me, the difference between the $200 someone says she's worth and the inflated price of $400 isn't large or even the point.

Do you want this mare and the risk that comes with her... for any price? You will have spent that $200 in the first month with her anyway, so if your budget isn't so tight that that amount of money makes a difference to you, and you like this mare, don't worry about it. And if that $200 *is* a problem, then you have a larger one: You are trying to get a sound riding horse for meat prices. It can be done with some luck, but not without some expensive misses along the way.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If you buy her from the rescue are you stuck with her? I've bought some from the auction with the understanding that if it turns out that they were there for a reason (and some are) that they go back. We've had good luck and only had 2 out of 8 that were there because they had some dangerous behaviours that I would not sell out of my back yard, both ponies. Some have gotten great second chances, and some don't deserve that second chance. (flame suit on for that)

She's an attractive mare and looks worthy of a chance. If you are able to take her, I think she's a good one to take a chance on. Nice height, kind eye, well built...you could do a lot worse for $200-400.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Get her, and the bay next to her in one picture that looks to have a very similar facial marking, could be a sibling or offspring. Hooves do grow out you know. That crack should grow out just fine with good quality nutrition and farriery.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Oh for heaven's sake GO GET HER. If you're worried about paying too much for her legs, let me tell you $400 is CHEAP for her brain!

I expect to see a new naming thread shortly!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

She is really cute, but only get her if you have and want to spend a few thousand on her trying to get her sound and trained.

There are a lot of free and cheap sound riding horses with papers right now. Not to say she won't turn into the best horse you've ever had, but there's a bigger risk there than with something that has a history you can verify.

I do know of a woman who found a 9 year old Appendix gelding abandoned in a field. He had some injuries to his eye which she fixed up. He went on to show in the A/O and A/A hunters and won lots of championships at big A rated shows. He competed until he was 19. He was such a bad cribber that he didn't have any teeth by the time he was in his late teens. But he was an absolute saint in every way.

So you never know.

Again, thanks for all the thoughts. We had it all planned out, but then we called too late and someone else got her. I'm happy that she found a home, but I'm a little sad that it wasn't me. Oh well. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
    No jumps, no glory...
    Know jumps, know glory!
    "One person's wrong lead is another person's counter canter."
    -Unknown

Gorgeous horse for a great price!! Hopefully the lameness is only due to that crack, or perhaps a developing abscess from the crack. I'm sure if you have a good farrier he'll be able to help out the problem. *Enable!*