The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on this mare? Enabling Needed

I really don't need another horse, but this poor girl is in the kill pen at the local auction and my mother and I have bleeding hearts.

Here's the link to her info: Oki Doki

I love her build (and I have a soft spot for Appendixes), but I'm worried about the lameness on the LF. Obviously some of it has to do with the huge crack in the hoof, but I'm concerned that it's not the whole problem.

Obviously she's going to need time to regrow that LF, but do you see any concerns with it? I'm going to call up my vet tomorrow and ask his opinion. I've never brought in a rescue so I don't know what sort of special care, if any, she would need.

Any opinions, thoughts, advice, and/or enabling is greatly appreciated!
    No jumps, no glory...
    Know jumps, know glory!
    "One person's wrong lead is another person's counter canter."
    -Unknown

If I were that horse, I would hope to go to a loving home.

3 members found this post helpful.

She looks like a sweetheart and is not terribly put together. I would bet that the lameness issue is that crack...my only concern would be if any other issues arose from the crack or its healing. But she has a sweet face and is actually an ok weight, if in need of some groceries. She obviously wants someone to love her.

In other words......*enable enable enable enable*

2 members found this post helpful.

Buying any horse is a gamble! You could pay $100,000 for a horse and it could colic and die tomorrow. As long as you go into it with your eyes wide open and a bank account large enough to deal with the crack or whatever may rear it's ugly head, if you think it is the horse for you, go for it.

I have done this several times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

She is a nice looking mare...cute! If you are willing...if you are able...why not? Give her time, good care, and love, and I bet you won't regret it.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

1 members found this post helpful.

WAYYYYY too expensive. Since she was lame in the pen, not ridden in, and covered in burrs (which indicates that she has been unhandled in a field somewhere and not ridden in awhile) I doubt that anyone even bid on her, and she was probably purchased by the feedlot owner for $50. MAYBE $100.

If you want her I would not offer more than $200 for her.

Yep I second the way too expensive. If she's that lame on the front end the and the slaughter house is doing their job they won't even accept her. Honestly the guy should pay you to take her. You're looking at a LOT of $ in at least farrier bills to fix that crack, and then hope that's the only issue. If you're fine with an expensive lawn ornament and have the $ go for it! But if you must have a horse you can ride, stay far far away.

I had a discussion with my farrier yesterday about quarter cracks, and he is of the opinion that they result from bad trimming/shoeing. Bascially, from too much heel. I really like her too, and maybe you could take a chance by seeing if you can grow out that crack.
    friend of bar.ka

I agree that $400 is way overpriced.

She has a nice eye and a great expression. $200 sounds more reasonable.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Most rescues in our area go for at least $400 and are in much worse shape than this girl (if going through a rescue) I would get her in a heartbeat; but I guess I would rather make the mistake of buying than make the mistake of not, in this case, and risk seeing a nice horse go down that road Might be able to sell her as a broodmare if worse comes to worse but she does look like she's in decent condition. So many great horses out there that just have had a bad run of luck.

I've wasted more than that on horses I had PPEs done on, tried, etc. if you've got the time and space - I'd probably risk it.

ETA - you can't be too pragmatic about rescues of any sort, be they dogs or horses or whatever. It's a crap shoot. Yes it will take $. Not saying this mare is headed for greatness (who really knows) not someone remind me of the name of that $80 horse. Some critters you can tell from the get go there ain't much of a future. This mare doesn't fit that bill - would love to see her after a year of good care.
    Last edited by Finzean; Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Addition

Snowman, I think.

This is a super cute horse. I like her. If you can deal with the possibility you might never be able to ride her, go get her!

There is NO way I would purchase a lame mare with the intentions of breeding her if she stays lame. She doesn't even have papers. That is just about as irresponsible as the person who let her get in that shape in the first place.

Not only is she lame with a significant foot issue but it seems she is a major cribber and there is no telling how old she is. If you can read her tat you could get that info. You know that she's at least raced but you don't know anything else. It is just as possible she has serious behavior issues under saddle if you get her sound as her being dead broke and kid safe.

This mare is not AT a rescue facility, she is at a feedlot. The only reason she is listed for $400 is because feedlot owners recognize that the internet is full of bleeding hearts. If she were not listed online she MIGHT sell for $200. Probably less. She has been purchased by the feedlot owner and will ship. If you purchase her others will fill her place. I see no reason to overpay for a horse just because someone says that she might be destined for greatness.

Rescues are free to charge anything they want, but we should keep in mind that overpriced rescues sit and do not allow other needy horses to come in behind them.

You are free to do whatever you want, but I want you to go in it with the most info possible.

Do it! How's that for enabling.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    There is NO way I would purchase a lame mare with the intentions of breeding her if she stays lame. She doesn't even have papers. That is just about as irresponsible as the person who let her get in that shape in the first place.
    1. With the tattoo it may be possible to get papers. I am not saying that makes her breeding stock but this appears to be a traceable horse whose identity and breeding can be narrowed down.

2. If the lameness if only from the hoof damage, that alone would not make me say she's an improper candidate for breeding. That's not really a "heritable" lameness, it looks like it came from lack of care and not a physical deformity that would be passed on.

3. I can't square her being in good weight with that awful hoof crack and all the burrs in her mane. I would love to know her story.

I hope someone with the ability to give her proper care ends up with her. She's got a kind eye and is a nice looking animal. She seems worth a try/gamble to me.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

No one says she's destined for greatness. The point is, who knows what she may or may not become...even if it was just a great little mare for someone to hack out once a week.

Yep - you're dead on saying that another one will just take her place. Saving one is a drop in the bucket but for the one that does get saved, it changes their life. Who knows, the OP may buy the mare, find that her money would've been better spent otherwise and chalk it up to the inherent "dangers" of trying to help out a horse whose Internet photo "spoke"

OP - good luck to you whatever you decide to do.

If you're willing to put $ into caring for her even if she doesn't turn out to be sound then go for it. The foot looked clubby in one photo and it's going to take a lot of work to get those feet and angles right. As in radiographs by the vet sent to the farrier type of work. But she does have a very nice eye and seems to be put together decently so might be worth a shot if you have the money to spend and risk.

I see horses in that shape all the time at my local auctions. If they run on a big enough pasture they can be fat and covered in burrs. You go to enough auctions and you learn to avoid the horses that are "quiet" and have freshly trimmed bridle paths but really short tails.

Dead give away that they've been living half feral and someone aced them to cut the burrs out.

There are people on the other forum asking if she'd make a good family horse and I think it's not safe to suggest a horse that has no known history as safe just because we want it to be rescued. It's a real good way of getting someone with a big heart and little experience hurt.

I think there are enough horses out there that it isn't a responsible decision to just breed a horse because we can't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I see horses in that shape all the time at my local auctions. If they run on a big enough pasture they can be fat and covered in burrs. You go to enough auctions and you learn to avoid the horses that are "quiet" and have freshly trimmed bridle paths but really short tails.

Dead give away that they've been living half feral and someone aced them to cut the burrs out.

There are people on the other forum asking if she'd make a good family horse and I think it's not safe to suggest a horse that has no known history as safe just because we want it to be rescued. It's a real good way of getting someone with a big heart and little experience hurt.

I think there are enough horses out there that it isn't a responsible decision to just breed a horse because we can't ride it.
    And I am not at all suggesting this mare IS worthy of breeding or that she's a suitable mount for anything based on the limited info we have. I'm just saying- she's working taking a chance on to see what she might turn into with proper care. She looks like a useful sort.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/