The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Christmas Decorations still up

Yup. Theyare still up.

But in my defense: I haven't been home much. Been spending a lot of time farmsitting so I never really got to enjoy them.

And I didn't fully decorate, because I knew I wouldn't be home much. So I'm looking at them more as "winter decorations".

I only have silver garland twisted with colored lites on the mantle, with a white sleigh filled with pine cones. I have a little Mardi Gras jester doll out. And a buffet with my snowman collection on it.

That's not too horrible, is it?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds more like "winter decorations" to me as well! At home, my parents always kept decorations up late. They both love Christmas, so they like to enjoy that aspect of it for an extended period of time!

Definitely winter decorations. I vote that they stay up until Easter.

My full fledged Christmas stuff didn't go away until last weekend. Tree, presents, all of that, still the same as Christmas day!

I collect Patricia Breen Christmas ornaments and have them displayed on trees year round. The trees are kind of a bare branch metal type that allows the ornaments to be seen from all sides. I think these trees have been up for at least 10 years now. (I do another artifical tree for the holiday with another completely different set of ornaments for it. I started this when IF Jr was little so he could decorate without risk of breaking anything very expensive. That tree goes up and down each year.)
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

A friend had a very elaborate professionally-decorated tree. The stand had small wheels on it. She'd roll it into a corner and toss a decorative drape over it during the off season.

We have a mantel with large long-leaf pine cones and artificial pine garland woven with a string of white lights that is used throughout the year. There's also a creche on top of a book case that's permanent.

We like to think we're "practical".
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Normally we never get ours down until at least March, May one year... I am quite proud that we un-decorated last week; I think February is almost normal.

Though I still haven't taken in the lights, light-up snowman and candy canes from the front yard. In fact, now that there's a ton of snow again, I might prop them all back up again and light them at night...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

My outdoor lights are still up. Too much snow and ice to even attempt to remove them. When I used to put up my Dept. 56 North Pole village I never got it all down until March. It was fun to put out, and awful to take down.

Does it make you smile? Cheer you up? Sometimes winter is dreary making decorations / sparkle a very smart move. Cheer trumps worrying about it.

All my indoor decorations have been down since New Years. But we just took the wreaths off the outside windows this past week. It was too cold and windy for the ladder prior. And I didn't mind them up. They looked nice.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

We have our outdoor stuff up, and I have electric candles in all the windows on the street side--I was HOPING for a nice snowfall to properly accent the lights and all. I'm glad I resisted (ok, procrastinated) taking everything down when it was warm. I love the way my house looks in the snow, all dressed up!

Our two strands of colored lights, holiday lights, run up over a painting, a window, and around a 7' norfolk island pine. Over the years DH and I have left them up longer and longer. We call them WEEKEND LIGHTS!!!!!
    We look forward to Friday evenings when DH yells, sings, and hollers WEEKEND LIGHTS, IT'S FRIDAY! We have a new tradition.

2 members found this post helpful.

The outdoor Christmas decorations look like hell by this time...take them down Of course we are in the middle of a blizzard here so I will give you until Tuesday to get it done
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

I politely disagree, Bogey2--with the 2 feet of snow after zero snow this year, its actually the first and best time for my little white lights and big wreaths with big maroon bows(still green-facing north)!! Can I have until next weekend? We're due to get another 4-8" on Wed!

Quote Originally Posted by leaf View Post
    Our two strands of colored lights, holiday lights, run up over a painting, a window, and around a 7' norfolk island pine. Over the years DH and I have left them up longer and longer. We call them WEEKEND LIGHTS!!!!!
    We look forward to Friday evenings when DH yells, sings, and hollers WEEKEND LIGHTS, IT'S FRIDAY! We have a new tradition.
    Love this, Leaf!! I'm actually thinking of putting lots of white lights on a bank of tall arborvitae we have shielding our deck. I like the idea of WEEKEND LIGHTS!!!!

Well, I'm not feeling so abnormal now.

I think I will leave them up through Feb. at least. Then out come the bunnies.

I may figure out a way to keep up the lights on the mantle. They give a cheery glow in the evenings.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I took mine down on New Year's eve. But now I don't feel so bad that the box is still sitting in the hallway waiting to go to the attic

In my defense, the cat loves sleeping on it...and I couldn't disappoint him, could I?
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Well Im feeling a little depressed about the (real) Giant Pumpkin melting/frozen on thefront steps, so I suppose Christmas lights.. its all relative.

My sister has a Valentine's Tree every year. A few rare easter Trees too.

My decorations came down early January but the trees with only lights left on it came down this past Monday. I was still enjoying turning the regular lights off and turning the tree lights on. So peaceful and pretty!

However this year I had a real tree...and amazingly that sucker didn't lose any needles and stayed soft until a few days before I took it down.
    Then I couldn't get the damned lights off, the branches were like rocks, LOL!

I usually have mine down 2nd week of January, mainly because it always look so stark and bare right after you take the decorations and tree down.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

politely disagree, Bogey2--with the 2 feet of snow after zero snow this year, its actually the first and best time for my little white lights and big wreaths with big maroon bows(still green-facing north)!! Can I have until next weekend? We're due to get another 4-8" on Wed!
    lovey, next weekend is fine...but they will not look any better in the soon to be dirty snow
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012