The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What bit would you use instead of a pelham for hunters?

I don't really like the "look" of a Pelham for showing in the hunters. What bit would you use instead for a horse that goes well in a broken Pelham?

I'd try a waterford D-ring first, and then maybe upgrade to a segunda from there.

I have been trying a Waterford. The jury is still out on that one. I've only used it a couple of times. I am looking for someone to loan me a segunda to try. We used one at a show a couple years ago, on the suggestion of another trainer. She seemed angry in the ring with my trainer. I tried it in the schooling ring and thought she felt like she went well in it, but we decided I would not show in it, as you couldn't school at this show and we didn't want to do something new in the ring, especially the way she went in the ring with it earlier. I haven't tried it since, but would like to. Thanks for the suggestions. Good to know I might already be on the right track.

Yep, and if you think you need a bit more leverage, a full-cheek segunda (used correctly with keepers) can create some poll pressure, simulating the pelham.

Well, with a segunda you need to be REALLY light in the hand. Tried one on my horse for a couple mins (I knew it wouldn't work cause my horse doesn't like 'harsh' mouthpieces) and I had NO control cause I could NOT touch the reins at all without him flipping out. Those points really dig into the tongue and the tongue kinda gets 'sucked up' into the opening. I think I would rather do a double jointed slow twist or something

How does he go? And by that I mean how much do you really use the curb on the pelham?

I knew one that went best in a pelham but the curb was their more for back up (versus needing a more constant, soft feel of both reins.) For him, we stuck a pelham on a schooling bridle, warmed up in that, and switched out to a show bridle with a snaffle before he actually showed. It worked really well for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    Those points really dig into the tongue and the tongue kinda gets 'sucked up' into the opening.
    The only time I used a segunda was for a horse who stuck his tongue out as if there was no room in his mouth for it. With the segunda he could shove his whole tongue up in there and he was happy ever after.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I would use a gently ported snaffle like this: http://www.beval.com/Products/Hunt-D...t/1309100.aspx

If that is not quite getting the job done, I would use the same mouthpiece but in a full cheek, using the keepers for the full cheek to fix them and create a tiny bit of extra control.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    How does he go? And by that I mean how much do you really use the curb on the pelham?

I knew one that went best in a pelham but the curb was their more for back up (versus needing a more constant, soft feel of both reins.) For him, we stuck a pelham on a schooling bridle, warmed up in that, and switched out to a show bridle with a snaffle before he actually showed. It worked really well for him.
    This would be an accurate description of her. Generally, super quiet/lazy. Will downward transition just on voice. Halt is her favorite gait. Most of the time she is on a loopy rein, but will lean down and sometimes pull going to the jumps. I showed mother in a segunda for a while. She was, basically, the same horse. Her "nervous thing" at shows was to lean down and she was a very large horse with a big stride, so by the end of a course she was eating the lines. A touch from the reins brought her up and slowed her. We never tried her in a Pelham.