The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Danger'sDelight13 View Post
    No, I wouldn't break into her room. I would 1) call (she did have her phone) 2) Say "damn, I shouldn't have forgotten my key" and gone about my day (she did not have work, class, etc and she DID have her car key). 3) Called the landlord and gotten the key (he is easily accessible) 4) Called maintenance and gotten a key (yes, it sucks that so many people have a key) 5) Popped the lock on the back door
    So...no? If I forgot my key, it would not be her problem, so I would not damage her property because I can't remember my key.
    So are you mad about the damage or her entering through your window?

I asked my landlord if I would lose some of my deposit if I didn't fix it before I move out and he said yes, so she will be paying for that.

I should have clarified when I said "we" forget our keys, i've never forgotten mine, but I always pop our duplex neighbor's ones when they forget theirs, we all have the same lock.

I do agree about safety but in my state, if your door is locked and someone breaks in and steals your gun, you won't be held liable. So while it would be nice to spend money to replace all of the locks, I am a light sleeper, my big dog is a light sleeper and my loaded 9mm is about a foot away.
    And no, I'm not on drugs-it's sweet of you to be concerned though!
    No, I wouldn't break into her room. I would 5) Popped the lock on the back door
    So...no? If I forgot my key, it would not be her problem, so I would not damage her property because I can't remember my key.
    First all, you keep calling this "your property" but it's not. The building belongs to your landlord, and the damage is to HIS property. Are you at fault for leaving your window accessible? How would you feel if someone you didn't know broke it open - is it now your landlord's "fault"? You don't seem to be concerned about damaging the back door lock if you were the one locked out...so it's ok to damage the property as long as it's not your window? (And don't tell me that popping the lock doesn't damage the property...of course it does.)

To be honest, I suspect your real objection is that you have something in your room that you are not supposed to have -- the gun or the dog? or something else? -- and that is why you are really angry?

Does your lease allow either a gun or a dog on the premises? And "just because" the law won't hold you legally responsible if your gun is stolen, that doesn't mean you are not responsible. If I were your landlord I surely would not be happy that you have an unlocked gun in a room with an open window and don't bother to deadbolt the door. Maybe *you* wouldn't be held responsible, but your landlord might....or, to be honest, maybe you both would. If you don't bother to secure your firearm or your house, you might be charged if something bad happened.

I'm sorry - but you need to grow up.

9 members found this post helpful.

Wow...this thread is a trip. OP...Couple of tips:
    1. Move out. Live alone. No one will ever meet your unreal expectations. Must be hard to be perfect when surrounded by imperfect people. I do feel for you, truly I do.
    2. Get counseling. To go on a rant like this over a simple choice that a locked-out roommate made to get into a house when you stated you all broke in all the time is quite honestly over the top. You need to figure out what on earth is causing you to over-react like this.
    3. For the love of God, DO NOT continue to live in a house that can be opened by a freaking empty frozen meal box.
    4. Chill out. Enjoy life. Be happy. If she had broken in and say, accidentally killed your dog while doing it...sure...that would be upsetting. But it's a freaking window. Get over it and move on.
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure I'd want to have a roommated who sweats the small stuff and gets this angry over it and keeps a loaded gun in her room.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie2337 View Post
    3. For the love of God, DO NOT continue to live in a house that can be opened by a freaking empty frozen meal box.
    The way I read it, there IS a deadbolt that would secure the apartment, but they don't bother to use it during the day (for some reason). Maybe so they can break in if they get locked out. (Along with everyone else in the world since it's apparently common knowledge that they are easy to pick.)

This thread is cracking me up.

For years, I rented a half-house from the world's coolest landlord. Went through a lot of roomies in my time there- three bedrooms, long tenure, early 20's, people come and go. OP would have lasted about 30 seconds in my house. Over reaction and hyper sensitivity are not personality traits germaine to healthy roomie relations. OP, she didn't damage YOUR property, she damaged the LANDLORDS property. While I am having an extremely difficult time visualizing this dramatic damage that will require replacing a whole window, legally you are just as responsible for the damage as she is. She sure as heck should pay for it, but simmer down and talk to her about it calmly so she doesn't just up and leave you holding the bag.

As a crew, we didn't go into each other's rooms without great cause- sanctity of private space is all the more important in your younger years with a big shared property- but I just can't imagine being this jacked up about someone passing through my space to get in in an emergency. Unless she stopped on the way to have a wee on your bed or try on your undies, I really don't see what the big deal is.

Semi-related, I used to leave the front door to that property unlocked during the day- front door was a gorgeous, original to the property stained glass number and I had a 120 lb rottie. I called it "Rottie locked"- I, and all my roomies, figured if someone was coming in through that dog, they were coming in whether the door was locked or not and I'd rather they not smash that gorgeous door to do it. My landlord whole heartedly supported this decision, having once been held at bay (politely but firmly) by that dog when he was dropping off some materials. He LOVED that door... and that dog. When I moved out, he half jokingly asked if he could keep her as a security system.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

3 members found this post helpful.

She hasn't offered to fix the damage? You tell her she will fix the damage or pay some one to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    First all, you keep calling this "your property" but it's not. The building belongs to your landlord, and the damage is to HIS property. Are you at fault for leaving your window accessible? How would you feel if someone you didn't know broke it open - is it now your landlord's "fault"? You don't seem to be concerned about damaging the back door lock if you were the one locked out...so it's ok to damage the property as long as it's not your window? (And don't tell me that popping the lock doesn't damage the property...of course it does.)

To be honest, I suspect your real objection is that you have something in your room that you are not supposed to have -- the gun or the dog? or something else? -- and that is why you are really angry?

Does your lease allow either a gun or a dog on the premises? And "just because" the law won't hold you legally responsible if your gun is stolen, that doesn't mean you are not responsible. If I were your landlord I surely would not be happy that you have an unlocked gun in a room with an open window and don't bother to deadbolt the door. Maybe *you* wouldn't be held responsible, but your landlord might....or, to be honest, maybe you both would. If you don't bother to secure your firearm or your house, you might be charged if something bad happened.

I'm sorry - but you need to grow up.
    You caught me, I'm worried that she'll find my illegal drug stash.
    Yes, the dog is legal. I paid the paid deposit and he is not a puppy (the only req). Yes, I can have the handgun. The handgun is LOCKED in a gun safe when I am not home (or the gun is with me). I unlock the gun at night when I'm home because if someone broke in, I wouldn't want to take the time to type in the code. When I lived at another place, I had a big problem with my prescription drugs being stolen (not roommate-her friend) so yes, I'm worried about that again.

Home Depot. Wood putty or wood dough and a putty knife. Or Bondo even. Fill the gouge, sandpaper smooth, paint. Put a bar in the opening track of the window or better yet close the latch.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, the dog is legal. I paid the paid deposit and he is not a puppy (the only req). Yes, I can have the handgun. The handgun is LOCKED in a gun safe when I am not home (or the gun is with me). I unlock the gun at night when I'm home because if someone broke in, I wouldn't want to take the time to type in the code. When I lived at another place, I had a big problem with my prescription drugs being stolen (not roommate-her friend) so yes, I'm worried about that again.
    You have still not been clear on whether you are upset by her entering through the window or it is because she caused damage in opening the widow the way she did.

If it is the damage and she is willing to fix it no biggie.

Now you say you are concerned about your prescription drugs. Why not keep your drugs in your safe? I'd think if you were that concerned you would at least make sure your room is completely secure before leaving the property. And to be completely secure it would be the window closed and locked as well as your bedroom door locked in some fashion whether through a lock you install or whatever lock is currently there.

Your reasons seem a bit paranoid especially when your actions don't match up with what most people would do if they were concerned about their property staying secure.

I know some people are razzing you a little on here and to an extent including myself. I guess some probably thought you would see that logicall this makes no sense. In all seriousness though please be more careful.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm calling BS on this whole stupid thread. For someone to be this upset about someone "breaking" into their room when their whole house can be broken into with a credit card, that's just stupid.

This person is either strangely/overly territorial or is making this up.

And to the person that asked if people really don't leave their windows open because you're afraid of getting raped... At that time I lived on the second floor so I didn't worry. Those women were on the ground floor. I also has someone in my building get KILLED by her ex. She lived on the ground floor and left a window open. This was in town - Birmingham.

I live in the middle of no where now. I open my windows while I'm home and awake. Close them when I go to bed. I lived in the city too long, I guess. Some things just get ingrained.

3 members found this post helpful.

Just install a key pad on the doors. Problem solved. No keys to forget. They are easy to install and wonderful to use.

This is awesome. The cognitive dissonance just gets better.

So... you don't feel it necessary to secure the house enough during the day that someone can't pop the locks, because a) someone might be locked out; and/or b) it is a pretty safe locale. This in spite of having prescription meds that you are now afraid someone (errr your roommate) is going to want to steal.

Yet you feel it is necessary to carry the gun on your person frequently during the day, and sleep with it at night.

Uh huh. I suggest you find a way to live alone and seek out a therapist.

2 members found this post helpful.

Stop trying to make sense, Couture TB! They would of course forget the combination! LOL!

I am curious about the roommate with the car keys - what is it with being capable of remembering one's car keys, but not a house key? Am I truly an odd-ball for carrying both car AND house keys on the same key ring?

OP, When I asked if you were on drugs, it was not to be glib - your behavior and actions are incongruent with the things you say. Like another person said, you either have posted this story to cause a ruckus, or you really need to obtain some assistance to deal with this level of confusion you apparently live with daily. If you are taking pain meds, perhaps this is part of the aggressive side-effect some people experience. No matter the reason, you are acting and speaking irrationally.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields