The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Danger'sDelight13 View Post
    You just said I'm wrong, why would I make her pay for it then...
    Because she broke it. I can understand being upset she broke it, but again, it was partially open (open is open, locked open or not), she didn't break in to steal anything, and you already have an established policy of breaking into a locked back door.

If you have an established routine for breaking in when locked out, you need a hidden spare key or something. Calling out locksmiths or landlords can add up really quick.

ETA: Renn/aissance is right, if she could get in through your window, the "lock" would mean precisely diddly to a thief. At that point, you might as well not lock your doors because someone breaking in could get in just as easily.

7 members found this post helpful.

OK, so reverse things: you are locked out and the only point of entry is HER window. Would you break in through it? It seems that breaking into the house is a normal occurance and you are just mad that she used a different entry point. Is your room locked and off limits to her when she is inside the house? If not, then you really can't get mad at her for passing through.

And you need better locks yesterday - especially since you own a gun.

3 members found this post helpful.

I locked myself out of my house once and the only way in was to crawl through a partially open window. I didn't have a room mate, but given the situation, her actions don't seem unreasonable. She didn't break into your room to steal anything, your room with the open window was simply the easiest way for her to get into the house.

The solution to this problem (sounds like you and your roommates frequently lock yourselves out) is to find a safe place to hide a key. That way, there should be no need to break into the house again. And for safety's sake, talk to your landlord about replacing the lock on the back door!

4 members found this post helpful.

I shouldn't have said my window was open in my original post. It. Was. Locked.
    It seems it was open and had a window lock on it; not "locked".

Who should fix the window? Depends. Who owns the property? If you own the house and she rents from you, then technically it's your responsibility to fix and you can charge her for the damages.

If you both rent, then it's hard to say. If I owned the house I might want to see the damage and decide how to fix it v. let a couple of college kids (I'm guessing?) make repairs on my building.

All your responses say "I don't think I'm wrong regardless of the opinions you give that I asked for here..."

Sooooo.....why did you bother to ask?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

14 members found this post helpful.

So you're saying that if you had roommates (don't care how close you are, you all have keys to the door), and she got locked out, you wouldn't bat an eye at her breaking into your personal locked window and doing permanent damage? Just because she was lazy and didn't bother to call you even though she had her phone and was less than a mile away from you?
    That's exactly what I would say. If I trust someone enough to live with them I would not care how they got in the SHARED house. If she wanted to violate you she could walk in your unlocked bedroom door. WTH? You sound nuts to me.

8 members found this post helpful.

So you're saying that if you had roommates (don't care how close you are, you all have keys to the door), and she got locked out, you wouldn't bat an eye at her breaking into your personal locked window and doing permanent damage? Just because she was lazy and didn't bother to call you even though she had her phone and was less than a mile away from you?
    I might be a bit annoyed, but it would depend on the circumstances.

In general though, no I wouldn't be upset, especially given that breaking in to your house seems to be a fairly regular thing. I can absolutely see why she would think it no big deal to do it.

I think you need to live alone

The not immediately apologizing for the damage (which, unless she burned your room to a cinder is probably not permanent and can be fixed) and taking steps to fix it WOULD chap my hide though, that's as irresponsible as leaving a window open, and a door unbolted.
    Last edited by saje; Feb. 9, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

This has probably been one of my favorite threads the off topic day. Unfortunately it would seem the OP isn't coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    All your responses say "I don't think I'm wrong regardless of the opinions you give that I asked for here..."

Sooooo.....why did you bother to ask?
    Yep.

Your roommate didn't break into your room. She broke into your house and walked through your room. She probably should've called you to get a key, and she probably should've not locked herself out, and you both probably should have long ago fixed your security issues and hid a spare key somewhere, and she probably should pay for any needed repairs to the window. But you should also probably not have a roommate if this is something that offends you so deeply.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

9 members found this post helpful.

I don't get your point. Like I said in my original post, it is scary that it is so easy to break into our back door. We all have keys to the back door. I really don't care if you use your key or your credit card. She does not have a key to my room. or my window. I do care how she gets into that.
    You are not making sense. You cannot make us think it is rational to continuously break into your back door, but to get angry when you leave your psuedo-locked window open, but say that "IT.WAS.LOCKED". That's ridiculous!

You have an odd sense of being violated - it takes a frozen dinner (what the HELL?) to unlock your HOME and you are upset about your roommate opening your window MORE? Are you on drugs?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

1 members found this post helpful.

Why is it so hard to carry a key?? Honestly, not that hard to remember a key or hide one.

But besides that, I think you are over reacting. It is not that big of an issue. At least she didn't brick a window like someone I knew.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

If one of your other roommates had forced your window open to get in, would you have been as upset?
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    Why is it so hard to carry a key?? Honestly, not that hard to remember a key or hide one.

But besides that, I think you are over reacting. It is not that big of an issue. At least she didn't brick a window like someone I knew.
    Even worse the OP would have preferred she bust the window claiming it would have been easier to fix then where the roommate forced the window open.

I'll be honest here. I would be kind of annoyed if I was in this situation. I am a pretty private person... so someone breaking into my room to get in the house would kind of tick me off just because it is my room. Would I be pissed off? No. But I would be a little annoyed, whether that is right or not.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I'm a private person as well. That's why I carry my keys for the doors I lock.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I'm a private person as well. That's why I carry my keys for the doors I lock.

I have locked myself out of places before.

but I can count the events on one hand, after over 4 decades on this planet...
    One should not do it often enough to become proficient in lock picking!

BTW, you can buy lock picking kits....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    This has probably been one of my favorite threads the off topic day. Unfortunately it would seem the OP isn't coming back.
    Sorry, I don't have time to sit on the computer all day

To clear a few things up:

It is currently 70 degrees here. We are in the south. She never apologized or offered to replace my window. It is not a tiny thing that sand paper and paint can fix. I asked my landlord if I would lose some of my deposit if I didn't fix it before I move out and he said yes, so she will be paying for that.
    I ran into my neighbors this afternoon and they said both of them had to force my window open because she couldn't get it and had been trying for like 20 minutes when she went over to their house. So the fact that it took 2 college swimmers to break my window lock did make me feel better She should have just thrown a baseball through my window, would have been way cheaper than fixing the frame that is attached to the wall...
    I should have clarified when I said "we" forget our keys, i've never forgotten mine, but I always pop our duplex neighbor's ones when they forget theirs, we all have the same lock.
    I do agree about safety but in my state, if your door is locked and someone breaks in and steals your gun, you won't be held liable. So while it would be nice to spend money to replace all of the locks, I am a light sleeper, my big dog is a light sleeper and my loaded 9mm is about a foot away.
    And no, I'm not on drugs-it's sweet of you to be concerned though!

Glad to see you back and that you actually read the responses Please be a little safer your logic of I'm a lite sleeper, have a big dog, and gun so I'm safe isn't enough. We have multiple guns and dogs but I would not as a young female leave my property unsecure when no one was home and I live in the South. Dead bolt your doors and close your windows and lock them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    OK, so reverse things: you are locked out and the only point of entry is HER window. Would you break in through it? It seems that breaking into the house is a normal occurance and you are just mad that she used a different entry point. Is your room locked and off limits to her when she is inside the house? If not, then you really can't get mad at her for passing through.

And you need better locks yesterday - especially since you own a gun.
    No, I wouldn't break into her room. I would 1) call (she did have her phone) 2) Say "damn, I shouldn't have forgotten my key" and gone about my day (she did not have work, class, etc and she DID have her car key). 3) Called the landlord and gotten the key (he is easily accessible) 4) Called maintenance and gotten a key (yes, it sucks that so many people have a key) 5) Popped the lock on the back door
    So...no? If I forgot my key, it would not be her problem, so I would not damage her property because I can't remember my key.