Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Joining the chorus. You are over reacting. I think there is some other issue you have with your roommate.
    There are, I think that is why it weirded me out so bad that she added breaking into my room to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger'sDelight13 View Post
    You just said I'm wrong, why would I make her pay for it then...
    Because with my roommates if you broke it you fixed it. Simple and it kept whomever was left at the end of the lease from having out of pocket expenses to the landlord for damage they didn't do.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger'sDelight13 View Post
    Not break into my window and cause deep grooves where she forced my locks off? I'm actually kind of impressed, she did a lot of damage for such a tiny person.lol Yes, I do have crappy locks
    You really can't be mad here, you left your window open. A burglar does not go to a window that is open an inch and stop just because there's a small device to prevent it from going up any further, they would either shove the window open like your roommate did or smash the window so it's a moot point to say "but it was locked" because it really wasn't locked. Locked is shut all the way with the little lever turned. If you're so surprised that she was able to get it open then it probably means it didn't take much effort and the window itself was weak. Either way the anger is unjustified. I could see frustrated but the truth is that for whatever reason she was unable to pop the lock on the back door and the only other alternative for minimal damage would be your window.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

4 members found this post helpful.

Overreacting. If you're that upset about someone being in your room (for whatever reason!) you shouldn't be living with them.

7 members found this post helpful.

Your window was open though as you said an inch. Out of curiosity why even leave the window open an inch? Clearly both the back door and your window are not very secure I'd change that right away. I'm from the South and occasionally the house might be left unlocked but in college when I lived with roommates we always locked our doors! We attended college in a safe rural college town but we always made sure to leave the place secure since it was all females living there.

Not to be preachy because trust me I get it I'm only 26 but you guys are a Dateline special waiting to happen. Please get your home secure!

You are over reacting but if there was damage done your roommate should fix it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, I'm a Mom of a young woman, so please forgive me, but I have to go there: If she broke the lock, she should have hopped in her car to get a replacement lock and installed it immediately. You shouldn't have had to sleep in a house with an unsecured window because she wanted in - right then. She could have gone to Starbuck's until you came home to let her in instead of breaking the lock. We have a combination key box (heavy duty) on the wall at the barn so that those who should have access to the key can get it when needed. It might be a solution for you two, so that you aren't demonstrating how easy your house is to break into for the whole neighborhood to see. Then get some good locks and install them on all the doors and windows, so we won't be seeing you on the true crime channel ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Sorry, I'm a Mom of a young woman, so please forgive me, but I have to go there: If she broke the lock, she should have hopped in her car to get a replacement lock and installed it immediately. You shouldn't have had to sleep in a house with an unsecured window because she wanted in - right then. She could have gone to Starbuck's until you came home to let her in instead of breaking the lock. We have a combination key box (heavy duty) on the wall at the barn so that those who should have access to the key can get it when needed. It might be a solution for you two, so that you aren't demonstrating how easy your house is to break into for the whole neighborhood to see. Then get some good locks and install them on all the doors and windows, so we won't be seeing you on the true crime channel ;-)
    that in spades!

Te south might be the friendly place, but we have crooks and pervs, too!

I'm not sure what the temperature is where you are, but currently in Buffalo it is about 19 degrees, and if I was locked out of my house I would very quickly calculate which window would be least expensive to replace and put the closest snowshovel through it.

One of my friends in high school reported one day that his mother was supposed to be heading out to the airport and locked her keys inside, so with no extra time to do otherwise she put a brick through the kitchen window and left a message on his phone to figure out a handyman.

In short, when people are locked out, they do whatever is necessary to get back in, and then they go about fixing whatever they broke in the process. An emergency situation is an emergency, and warrants the requisite undstanding of same.

6 members found this post helpful.

I lived a block from a couple of women who left their window open 2" or so and got broken into and raped. An open window isn't "locked". A window that your tiny roommate can force open isn't LOCKED - it's just hard to open.

As for the window frame.... Ummm, ever heard of wood putty, and sand paper, and a coat of paint? Good grief, you're making this out to be something that it's not. What? You think she went through your room after she "broke" in??? You already said you don't have a lock on your door. She could have done that anytime.

Quit being a pissy over a non issue. How old are you, 'cause you seem really young?

8 members found this post helpful.

It seems to me that the OP is upset that the roommate did damage to her room. AND didn't immediately fix it. I mean, it sounds like she did a number on the window frame, yes? Why not just throw a big ole rock through her *own* bedroom window instead of forcing open her roomie's window? She damaged the OP's window and then didn't even offer to fix it. I would be upset, too.

And add me to the list of "You need WAY better security!"

Is this thread for real?

OP's roomie was locked out. OP leaves her window OPEN - not LOCKED, OPEN - which aside from providing pretty easy entry for her locked-out roomie also provides excellent access for all manner of predators and burglars.

I'm not exactly sure how you get off being so very offended that your roommate used your OPEN window to get into the house.

No burglar would say, oh look there is an open window! I shall try to open it! Oh, I see it has these very small locks. I will not force them, because that would potentially damage the frame. Oh, I guess I shall go rob some other home, who did not have the foresight to put a very small device which actually does nothing other than hold the window open in place.

I am also more than a little surprised that anyone would leave their ground-floor (or otherwise reachable) window open while they are gone, presumably in a city somewhere. You couldn't pay me to do that.

8 members found this post helpful.

1. Get better locks.
    1a. Be more responsible.
    1b. Get a better roommate if you trust her that little.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Yes, I think you are overreacting. I have no idea why you would be so upset that someone you live with went into your bedroom. Scraping up the window sill....? Big deal. You are overreacting.

Who owns this house? If it's you, I'd be really mad that a house I was renting was so easy to break into. If you rent - I'd be really mad to find out my tenants were breaking into the house using hair pins and parking passes (and presumably not using the deadbolt during the day so that they could break in if they got locked out).

I also agree that if you are all repeatedly locking yourselves out you need to start being a lot more responsible. Perhaps a hidden key somewhere is a better solution than breaking in?

Yes, you are over-reacting. And I'm jealous of anyone who can leave the windows open at all this time of year (it's -12F here again this morning).

As a spin-off, do I understand right that no other posters leave windows open at all when they are home or at night, because someone might break in and rape them? I don't really understand that...
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I don't want to be rude, but why are you guys getting locked out so frequently? Solve that problem and you will have less trouble with your roommate.

5 members found this post helpful.

It wouldn't have bothered me that she broke in through my window, but it would bother me that she didn't fix the window right away. She does sound kind of lazy.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I would be ticked about the fact that instead of calling someone, or waiting, that she damaged your window. And she better pay for the repairs too. When you go to the store, get extra keys made, and then people have no excues. I would definitely rethink the roommate situation also.

And you should start locking the deadbolt on the back door during the day. That back door is the logical place for someone to break in, and a lot of burglaries happen during the daytime.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I don't think you should live with roommates that you don't trust enough to be in your room. It's a little ridiculous to lock your room because you don't want your roommates in there.

Can't you just ask her why she didn't just break in the backdoor like you do? See what her response is?

If I had to break into a roommates room to get into the house I would apologize profusely and it would be my last resort.

Maybe she is just not very... umm.... smart?

Why do you all forget your keys? I've forgotten my key once that I can remember.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Your roommate was locked out and broke into the house in the easiest and least damaging way she considered available at the time. She should repair the window, but any window which isn't shut and locked is open. For your own safety, please use this as a wake up call about your security and figure out a hide-a-key or something.

When I was younger, my mother locked herself, my younger sister, and me out of the house at 11:00 at night in the middle of a blizzard. I took a brick and broke a pane in on the back door and broke in that way. It was the cheapest one to repair.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

6 members found this post helpful.