The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default ...She broke into my room?

Hope y'all enjoyed your popcorn!
    Last edited by Danger'sDelight13; Feb. 10, 2013 at 01:42 AM.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

On the surface, yeah, you do seem to be overreacting--she was locked out, couldn't get in, and chose to come through your open window. Should she fix the scraped up parts? Yes. But...really...no harm was done. I don't know your combined personalities, but it sounds like you are the wrong person to have roommates who lose keys.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

16 members found this post helpful.

Ummm... 1st, you people need better locks on your windows and your doors.

2nd, you seem to be over reacting. She wanted/needed in the house. What was she supposed to do? Maybe her breaking-in-the-door skills don't live up to yours. Maybe she was lazy. Who knows? But if you have crappy locks that can be forced, what do you expect?

9 members found this post helpful.

I think my thing is that my window wasn't "open". It was locked. She forced my locked window open. Yes, it was open an inch, but with a window lock screwed in on either side, in my mind, it was locked. If I would have left it open, that would be a different story.
    I never get when people get mad when others "break in" to their unlocked house. Yes, it is still wrong but...maybe you should lock your door if you don't want people coming in? I don't know, I grew up in a rough part of LA: you lock things. Here, in the south, it is different and I'm still not used to it.

1 members found this post helpful.

It would really depend a lot on the relationship. It doesn't seem a big deal to me at all, and I wouldn't have been upset in your situation, but that's because of the roommates I had. I don't know how you guys get along.

What does freak me out is the "normally" when you talk about losing/forgetting keys, and the many times you've needed to essentially break into your own place (and presumably so has your roomie). Holy ^$&#!

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger'sDelight13 View Post
    I think my thing is that my window wasn't "open". It was locked.
    Ummm...

Ok...

But...you keep breaking into the back door when it's locked. Repeatedly. Using all manner of stuff.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    What was she supposed to do?
    Not break into my window and cause deep grooves where she forced my locks off? I'm actually kind of impressed, she did a lot of damage for such a tiny person.lol Yes, I do have crappy locks, home depot is first on my list tomorrow.
    I find this to be the same thing as if she would have just thrown a baseball through my window to get in. except glass would have been easier to replace than the whole window frame.
    I shouldn't have said my window was open in my original post. It. Was. Locked.

I think you're overreacting too. If it is it ok to "break in" through a door when you're locked out, then it's ok to "break in" to a window...no matter what room the window is in. If you're locked out, then you're locked out. I'm personally shocked at how easy it is for someone to break into what you think is a secure space. I think instead of berating your roommate you all need to look into upping your security.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Ummm...

Ok...

But...you keep breaking into the back door when it's locked. Repeatedly. Using all manner of stuff.
    I don't get your point. Like I said in my original post, it is scary that it is so easy to break into our back door. We all have keys to the back door. I really don't care if you use your key or your credit card. She does not have a key to my room. or my window. I do care how she gets into that.

First, you need better locks if you can break in that easily!

Second, why are keys being lost or forgotten so frequently? I have never, not once, in almost 32 years lost my house keys or locked them in the house. And I have locked the keys in my car exactly once.

The standard was already kind of set that lost keys = break into the house. She just chose another way...

Get new locks. Then make a new rule. If you lose your keys you either call a locksmith, wait for someone else to get home, or retrieve a spare key from a trusted person who has it. (Do you have any nearby relatives or really good neighbors? Even though I've never had this problem, my parents have a key to my place. In the event I ever DO get locked out, I just have to call and wait 30 minutes for someone to come over.)

12 members found this post helpful.

I think you are being a little more territorial than is going to work with a roommate. If she was routinely helping herself to your food, going into your closet to borrow clothes, and making calls from your phone I'd say she had crossed a line. Going in through your window because she can't figure out how to jimmy the door? That's just incompetent. Get used to it. The world is full of screw ups waiting to annoy you.

I'm not surprised you are upset. However, I don't think it's about your roommate coming in through your window. I think you are really upset about how vulnerable you feel given how easy it was for someone to violate your privacy and sanctity so easily.

If she had come in to borrow a stapler, she would have already been in the house and it is very different than forcing an outside window open and getting into your room.

I think you need to take a deep breath, thank your roommate for making it clear about how easy it would be for someone to break in (and how scary that is) and problem solve about how to fix it (ie, make sure people have keys to the back door and put a grill up over your window).

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JenLS View Post
    I think you're overreacting too. If it is it ok to "break in" through a door when you're locked out, then it's ok to "break in" to a window...no matter what room the window is in. If you're locked out, then you're locked out. I'm personally shocked at how easy it is for someone to break into what you think is a secure space. I think instead of berating your roommate you all need to look into upping your security.
    So you're saying that if you had roommates (don't care how close you are, you all have keys to the door), and she got locked out, you wouldn't bat an eye at her breaking into your personal locked window and doing permanent damage? Just because she was lazy and didn't bother to call you even though she had her phone and was less than a mile away from you?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

You asked if people here think you have a right to be upset....so far people are saying NO, but you're still arguing that you're right. I really don't understand why people ask for opinions when all they really want is for someone to agree with them.

24 members found this post helpful.

And it's not permanent damage - you can fix it and she can pay for it.

And it's not permanent damage - you can fix it and she can pay for it.
    You just said I'm wrong, why would I make her pay for it then...

You asked for a second opinion, but you sure don't seem to want one...
    I think the general consensus here is yes, you are overreacting. If I were locked out and saw a cracked window, I would try to open it too.

17 members found this post helpful.

Joining the chorus. You are over reacting. I think there is some other issue you have with your roommate.

For how easy it is to break into your back door and how often you two seem to lose your keys, why wouldn't you just have a hide-a-key somewhere?

That's exactly what I'm saying.

You asked if people here think you have a right to be upset....so far people are saying NO, but you're still arguing that you're right. I really don't understand why people ask for opinions when all they really want is for someone to agree with them.
    Yeah, this. Don't ask for "objective third party" opinion if yours is already set in stone. What's the point of that really, except to make you feel more defensive?