The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Retro TV and Reruns

I have been watching old TV programs. The one that is on the most is 7th Heaven so I have been watching it because it seems basically harmless.

Now I am wondering how on earth it managed to keep going for 11 seasons. I have never seen a more dysfunctional, unrealistic family. I would love to have seen a special -- "The Camdens Meet the Conners" and see what the two families made of each other. And bring in the Taylors as well ...

What other TV "families you love to hate" are out there?

What, if any, TV families do you truly love?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Still love Happy Days.

Son got hooked on The Rifleman. Lucas McCain is what a father should be.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

I still like Murder She Wrote, Touched by an Angel and Highway to Heaven, even though they are kind of cheesy.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

ah, when TVLand was new....

7th heaven was meh, ok, we watched as it was new (rarity, we only watch stuff that has run its course it seems)

perma classic: Andy Griffith show. You can't beat it! Leave it to Beaver is Ok...DH loved Green Acres.
    and of course with the exception of the first we have not watched any in years it seems.

I LOVE Home Improvement. The new show seems to be pretty much the same, without the wisecracking boys.

When TVLand first came out we watched Adam 12, Dragnet and Emergency.
    But I really miss Colombo, Murder she wrote, what else was there, Lovejoy...

but currently I am not watching TV at all safe for Jeopardy, sometimes Wheel, and only when DH turns it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We have a cable channel called Antenna TV that shows lots of oldies, like Dennis the Menace, The Flying Nun, Gidget, as well as Good Times, Three's Company (always loved that show), Adam-12 (Kent McCord is STILL a hottie to me).

Why oh why don't they bring back Perfect Strangers!! A great show that is still funny today, with two great actors with perfect chemistry.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    I have been watching old TV programs. The one that is on the most is 7th Heaven so I have been watching it because it seems basically harmless.

Now I am wondering how on earth it managed to keep going for 11 seasons. I have never seen a more dysfunctional, unrealistic family. I would love to have seen a special -- "The Camdens Meet the Conners" and see what the two families made of each other. And bring in the Taylors as well ...

What other TV "families you love to hate" are out there?

What, if any, TV families do you truly love?
    We like the Waltons, Hawaii five 0, Andy Griffith, Bob Newhart, as well as others that we grew up watching as kids in the 70's. I have seen a few 7th Heaven shows when we had t.v. and you take it for what hollywood assumes it should be. I wouldn't call it dysfunctional or unrealistic because for many families that was how it was ( still is). You never hear about the families that love each other, enjoy being together and really get along with no real problems. Only trash sells.

Bill Cosby and Golden Girls. I don't know why I like Golden Girls, I really can't explain it. But I do.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Bill Cosby and Golden Girls. I don't know why I like Golden Girls, I really can't explain it. But I do.
    the Golden Girls ROCK...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We get ME-TV-all oldies-classics. Love Golden Girls, too. Maybe because I'm getting closer to their ages. Also love Emergency and Happy Days. I love TV shows that are funy without being crass.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    We have a cable channel called Antenna TV that shows lots of oldies, like Dennis the Menace, The Flying Nun, Gidget, as well as Good Times, Three's Company (always loved that show), Adam-12 (Kent McCord is STILL a hottie to me).

Why oh why don't they bring back Perfect Strangers!! A great show that is still funny today, with two great actors with perfect chemistry.
    Love antennaetv! Sitting here watching it right now. Just watched The Flying Nun, The Monkees, and now waiting for SWAT to start
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Pony Baloney you nailed it! I was trying to remember the name of that show just a few weeks ago. . "Perfect Strangers." That's the one w/the two cousins, Balkie, etc. right???

You guys named some good ones;
    Andy Griffith, Happy Days, even the Beverly Hillbillies was a good ol' family show! Cosby Show and the takeoff from it, "A Different World" are great!

I never seem to be around the TV when TVLand has my old favorites on.

I would love to see Gomer Pyle shows again. . . and he could sing!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    The Golden Girls are AWESOME!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Brady Bunch is on Hallmark channel. I DVR them. LOL I used to be able to know what the episode was by just seeing the opening scene. hahaha! I love that show for whatever reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Malmare View Post
    Pony Baloney you nailed it! I was trying to remember the name of that show just a few weeks ago. . "Perfect Strangers." That's the one w/the two cousins, Balkie, etc. right???

You guys named some good ones;
    Andy Griffith, Happy Days, even the Beverly Hillbillies was a good ol' family show! Cosby Show and the takeoff from it, "A Different World" are great!

I never seem to be around the TV when TVLand has my old favorites on.

I would love to see Gomer Pyle shows again. . . and he could sing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-cXessab-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0untpnl3kUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqJ2jYumJJo

The Impossible Dream always gives me chills.....
    Last edited by Alagirl; Feb. 9, 2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: add link

Love ME TV as well. Can only pick up one "local" station with my rooftop antenna, and it also has ME TV on the dial.

Love Donna Reed in the morning at 7:30 am while getting dressed for the day. And Perry Mason of course. Plus Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore at night. Only problem is, the antenna is only hooked up to my bedroom TV, so I usually only see it getting up, or going to bed.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

We get Me TV, which shows all oldies. My favs are Wild Wild West (mmmm young Robert Conrad and his black horse) and Emergency. Also Hawaii Five-O and Lost in Space.

I used to love F Troop when I was little. Agarn, O'Rourke, Duffy, Dobbs, Miss Jane Hathaway, Capt. Parmenter, and the wonderfully named Hekkowi Indians. I doubt it will ever again see the light of day. Oofta, it was brutally racist! But I was a little kid and I thought it was just so funny--

I still remember the Chief telling how the Hekkowi tribe got their name. It was something along the lines of "many moons ago, our people traveled and traveled and traveled and we got lost. When a white man came into camp, he asked our Chief who we were. The Chief interrupted and shouted "Where the heck are we?" And so we became known as the Hekkowi"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I used to watch tons of the shows mentioned in this thread on Nick At Nite back in the day. Good stuff they were.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I love Mr. Ed, always have. Just made my little one watch an episode online, Clint Eastwood guest starred. My son was mesmorized and now wondering why our horses dont talk!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    I love Mr. Ed, always have. Just made my little one watch an episode online, Clint Eastwood guest starred. My son was mesmorized and now wondering why our horses dont talk!
    Mister Ed does not talk to everybody.....DUH, kiddo!

Full House is on Nick at Nite now. So is The Nanny.

I remember when the Patty Duke show was on Nick at Nite. Now its Full House and Friends and that's crazy talk!!!
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.