The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    4,643

    Default

    or fly a helicopter to work.

    in fact I did that for several years, the army paid for it


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2002
    Location
    Lots of M states...
    Posts
    1,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    yes, this is the situation here too. i think the way education is funding is so incredibly unfair. all the money should be split evenly per pupil and that's it. it sickens me that schools that have high income populations have bigger per pupil expenditures than schools with poor populations. not that that's the only problem, of course-philadelphia school district is corrupt and run by a bunch of people i wouldn't trust to sweep my floors, and that's why i don't work for them anymore. the funding issue is a big one, though, and an unfair one.
    I hear you... I teach in Detroit, so I imagine similar corruption issues. It's heartbreaking. And tiring. And it does not surprise me that teacher turnover is so high given the situations in which we are expected to perform miracles.



  3. #43

    Default

    [QUOTE=meupatdoes;6826663]You only pay for it if you get a phone. If you don't like the terms, don't get a phone.

    I didn't say that I didn't like it, I was correcting the previous poster who stated that the phone companies pay the fee. No, we pay the fee, they merely collect the fee via our phone bill.

    Since I work from home, not having phone service is not an option for me.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2005
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    6,681

    Default

    Well, OP, if you are not at a library then you are using your own computer in your house with an internet connection, so I don't quite understand your ranting about those weird barcode ads. You can go to ANY retailer's website and print out their coupons from there. And you can do the same thing from your public library. Not sure how someone with an iphone to scan a code is ripping off poor people.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry


    2 members found this post helpful.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2006
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Waningmoon, I totally agree with you about the attitudes towards the poor. I happen to know quite a few poor people. Just like any other group, there are good and bad. The majority are hard working people who weren't born with the same advantages/opportunities as some others. Or, they've had some horribly bad luck that put them in that position. When someone expresses such vitriol against a whole class of people I just take it as an expression of that person's general nature. Remember that every group, poor or privileged, has its good and bad.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp


    5 members found this post helpful.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug. 12, 2002
    Location
    Calera, AL
    Posts
    1,901

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Well, we know from another thread that you don't believe in global warming, so that certainly puts you, ummm, on the fringe. So perhaps if you don't want name calling (which is certainly bad) you should not post opinions that make you seem, well, uneducated. Just sayin'...
    Well, bless your little heart. I said I didn't believe that global warming/cooling was MAN MADE. Back in the late 70s/early eighties the big fear was a coming ice age. Now it's going to be HOT.

    So I'm on the fringe of what? Society? Sorry, I don't buy that the climate changing is a man made thing. You can call me uneducated if you want. I'll call you a sheep for falling in line with the media and corrupt scientists. Does that work for you?

    "Just sayin'..." makes you sound very, very educated, btw.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Dec. 1, 1999
    Location
    flyover country
    Posts
    2,181

    Default a lot of snark going on here

    I do think most of us want to help people in need. Really we do. But there are so many gaming the system, it is getting really difficult to take. We pretty much all know each others politics here. Let's not start a train wreck over poverty.
    The best progrsms are the charitable ones IMO that the government doesn't run. Now you will name Medicare and Medicaid but IN PRINCIPLE, they are well meaning. But how many politicians say they will get rid of waste fraud and abuse, and they never do. There is so much graft, they will never prosecute. There has to be a better way.
    To the person who knows the couple scamming the system, report them. Nothing will happen if you do nothing. Try a pay phone if you want to be anonamous. They do still exist. I worked on them for 30 years. I see them, but not as commonly as I used to, but I digress...
    Another killer of threads



  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    I do think most of us want to help people in need. Really we do. But there are so many gaming the system, it is getting really difficult to take. We pretty much all know each others politics here. Let's not start a train wreck over poverty.
    The best progrsms are the charitable ones IMO that the government doesn't run. Now you will name Medicare and Medicaid but IN PRINCIPLE, they are well meaning. But how many politicians say they will get rid of waste fraud and abuse, and they never do. There is so much graft, they will never prosecute. There has to be a better way.
    To the person who knows the couple scamming the system, report them. Nothing will happen if you do nothing. Try a pay phone if you want to be anonamous. They do still exist. I worked on them for 30 years. I see them, but not as commonly as I used to, but I digress...
    Sorry, but this falls into the category of urban legends. The largest perpetrators of Medicaid and Medicare fraud and abuse aren't individuals, it's providers of services that file thousands of Medicaid and Medicare claims that are flat out fraudulent. Just this past week, there was a case in Texas of a clinic that is accused of falsely billing the government for millions of dollars of medical services that were never provided. And yes, the clinic is being prosecuted for fraud.

    About 20 years ago, I worked temporarily for the New York State unemployment office, and I can state factually that abusers of the system were prosecuted. My husband filed for unemployment when he was laid off from his job and had to defend himself when his new employer faxed in his employment records the Friday before he started his new job. My husband didn't begin his new job until the following Monday, and he collected unemployment benefits the week before he started his new job. Because his new employer had faxed in his employment records the Friday before he actually began work, he was accused of unemployment fraud and had to prove that he in fact was unemployed the week he filed fro benefits. So yes, the government does prosecute those who "game" the system, and sometimes those who have done nothing wrong.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    My wife used to volunteer at our church's soup kitchen. About 90% of the people going there are multi-baby welfare queens with obvious displays of disposable cash.

    I do hope the leeches drain the host completely until it dies.

    Now, now, the "haves" get their fair share of public assistance too. See y'all can score big if you used your house as an ATM and declare bankruptcy. Students drowning in debt? They don't get the same benefit. And "welfare queens" with assets that don't come up to the 6- or even 5-figure mark? They, too, get less benefit from a bankruptcy than does the richer person. And don't even talk to me about corporations who can shuttle cash around the world so as to evade taxes.

    Therefore: Do you want to "give away money" in little amounts to many individual welfare queens? Or do you want to give away mo' money to a few corporations?

    My guess is that if you added up the dollars lost to these various groups, you wouldn't find the kind of disparity that makes the proverbial welfare queen the best target for reform or ire.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    2 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2001
    Posts
    9,871

    Default

    QR codes aren't used to "give" anything anyway. It is a trade. Data is collected (and sold) when anyone scans one. If you don't have a smartphone, you have no data-nothing to trade.

    Sorry folks, there really is no such thing as a free lunch
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Location
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Not a tax at all if you can opt out by simply not getting a phone....
    You have to pay for the roads everyone else drives on whether you personally drive on them or not.
    Not so with the Universal Service Charge.
    If "not having to pay it if you don't use it means it is not a tax" how do you explain sales tax, gas tax, ad valorem tax on vehicle registration, property tax, etc....? You can avoid all of the above if you desire by not purchasing items, but it is still a tax.

    Not that I consider the Universal Service Charge a tax, but IMHO opinion there is a flaw in the bolded statement.

    I also find interesting the idea that "well, you can just avoid paying it by not having a phone" for a charge based on the idea that a phone is such a necessary item that it is proper to charge a fee so everyone can have one, whether they can afford it or not.
    Last edited by MoonoverMississippi; Feb. 9, 2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    33,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    If "not having to pay it if you don't use it means it is not a tax" how do you explain sales tax, gas tax, ad valorem tax on vehicle registration, property tax, etc....? You can avoid all of the above if you desire by not purchasing items, but it is still a tax.

    Not that I consider the Universal Service Charge a tax, but IMHO opinion there is a flaw in the bolded statement.

    I also find interesting the idea that "well, you can just avoid paying it by not having a phone" for a charge based on the idea that a phone is such a necessary item that it is proper to charge a fee so everyone can have one, whether they can afford it or not.
    it's a tax when the government gets the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?



  13. #53
    Join Date
    May. 17, 2010
    Location
    Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    it's a tax when the government gets the money.
    I agree, my disagreement was with saying it wasn't a tax just because you could avoid paying it (in this case by not having phone service) and implying that something is only a tax if you have to pay it whether you utilize the service or not, which is not the case.



  14. #54
    Join Date
    Mar. 4, 2004
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Our family works to survive. We pay a $300 cell phone bill every month. We also pay a LOT of other bills every month, including over $1000 in health insurance. Sometimes we incur overdraft fees in order to keep bills paid up. But that's not the point. The point is, we work, have horses and are not rich. We are not poor. But we do have empathy for those who are poor due to circumstances out of their control, and would help out someone as best as we could.
    However, THIS video is the kind of stuff that p***** off working people:
    http://cofcc.org/2012/10/woman-has-30-obama-phones/



  15. #55
    Join Date
    Dec. 21, 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,201

    Default

    Most churches help to support / work with their area food pantries. It is hard for small churches in rural areas to have the wide variety or even enough food to help those who need it. The sad fact about going and asking for money is that many come to a church wanting money for food, gas,utilities, etc and when the pastor or person in charge wants to take them to buy the food, fill the gas can,pay the bill they don't want that, they want the money. My dad had this experience so may times they stopped helping people personally. They instead supported places with donations that meet all those needs of those who are really poor in their community.



  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    19,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cookie-monster View Post
    Our family works to survive. We pay a $300 cell phone bill every month. We also pay a LOT of other bills every month, including over $1000 in health insurance. Sometimes we incur overdraft fees in order to keep bills paid up. But that's not the point. The point is, we work, have horses and are not rich. We are not poor. But we do have empathy for those who are poor due to circumstances out of their control, and would help out someone as best as we could.
    However, THIS video is the kind of stuff that p***** off working people:
    http://cofcc.org/2012/10/woman-has-30-obama-phones/
    I'm wondering if anyone has done any background check on that...doesn't seem plausible, and if it doesn't seem plausible, usually it's not true.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



  17. #57
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Oh, you sweet sweet person. I could not take any help, I will get by. I am one tough old bird, you see. Unfortunately I have seen times almost as bad and times worse. I have had one thing after another thrown at me my entire life. I decided long ago I would WIN. Life would not get me. And the fight still goes on.

    My point was not to hope someone would offer to help me, although I find it very touching. It is nice to know not all feel the same. My point was to hopefully show that not all ppl are abusing the system. Some are for sure. Some are not. Would it hurt to have a bit of faith in the ppl who are the social workers, deciding on how gets what? Are all of them useless and not doing their jobs? I get medical help and do not know about applying for teh rest. But to get any help here, even teh medical there are forms upon forms and they do actually check everything you say and put in print.

    Ppl who really need help and deserve help should not have to feel horrid about receiving a little help. I was finally about to break down a bit and see if I could get help to keep my electric on but I know I won't do it now. Too bad Im not pretty enough to work the streets, ha ha. Oh boy, now that would start another whole thing wouldn't it.

    And please know just how much it means to me that you are so nice and would make an offer to help. It renews my faith in humanity a bit. And that is quite low at this time.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    Waningmoon, I totally agree with you about the attitudes towards the poor. I happen to know quite a few poor people. Just like any other group, there are good and bad. The majority are hard working people who weren't born with the same advantages/opportunities as some others. Or, they've had some horribly bad luck that put them in that position. When someone expresses such vitriol against a whole class of people I just take it as an expression of that person's general nature. Remember that every group, poor or privileged, has its good and bad.
    I do try to keep that in mind and know it is true. I have had extremely terrible luck and it never stops. Ppl who truly know me ask how I can take it. My best friend was trying to name good things that have happened since we graduated high school. Other than my girls being born, there is not much. I figure I must have been a really terrible person in a previous life and this is some kind of payback. But I will not give up, never.



  19. #59
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    794

    Default

    thank you so much for your kind words. I DO get by. I excell at working in pain, always have. I come from a very tough family. My gram was 92 the last time my mom and I went and convinced her to come down from the roof, she was shoveling snow off. Oh, my that was a very long time ago.

    I have a very nice sled that I pull my water on. IN summer I have a hose. My hay is brought to my driveway and I then pull in on the sled out to my little run in. I have a area built onto the run in to store 30 bales.

    The home health nurses get pretty upset with me over it but it IS my life after all. Thanks again for your very kind words and offer.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    yes, this is the situation here too. i think the way education is funding is so incredibly unfair. all the money should be split evenly per pupil and that's it. it sickens me that schools that have high income populations have bigger per pupil expenditures than schools with poor populations. not that that's the only problem, of course-philadelphia school district is corrupt and run by a bunch of people i wouldn't trust to sweep my floors, and that's why i don't work for them anymore. the funding issue is a big one, though, and an unfair one.
    While I do agree that there needs to be some kind of change to more equally distribute these things to schools, I am not so sure that per pupil would work either. It is true that there is more land to be taxed thus more taxes in rural areas but... I think there is a big difference between burbs, and rural. Ppl in the burbs may very well have more money. But ppl out here in the rural areas , at least this county, are not rich. There are way more poor than rich in this county. But there is so much land. Some own thousands of acres. Lots of taxes are taken from my area but most of teh ppl actually living here do not have lots of money. There is much more land here than ppl. IF it were by pupil what the school received they would not receive much. I think neither way is fair to all.

    But it would be very nice if a fair way to decide upon who gets what could be found. There are many schools here that assign ipads to kids. But they do not get to keep them, they are for use during the school yr. There is way too much discrepancy between schools in what the kids get.



Similar Threads

  1. A thread about things warm and things fuzzy.....
    By Stushica in forum Off Course
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Nov. 30, 2012, 10:43 PM
  2. It's the Little Things
    By Ajierene in forum Eventing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct. 25, 2011, 12:30 PM
  3. Things I don't get
    By mvp in forum Off Course
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: Jan. 27, 2010, 11:48 AM
  4. I did it I did it I did it! (It's the little things)
    By GettingBack in forum Off Course
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jan. 8, 2009, 11:03 AM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: Nov. 7, 2008, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •