The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    Where's the compassion that humans claim to have?

My compassion evaporated due to the drought imposed upon my money by the great government sucking up my money to funds its ideas... most of which I do not agree with.

They have created a plantation of no escape.... once on the freebies there is not an avenue of escape... there is not a method of slow release... it has become a job to remain on welfare

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    Because anyone that is now on "food stamps" or some other such assistance now has a phone furnished for them. Before, at least they had to pay for them themselves. I just found the priorities interesting.

And thanks for calling me a "political nut", especially since you know jack about me. Good lord, I wish everyone that had a different opinion could stop calling people names - but I guess that just ain't gonna happen, huh?
    You obviously have access to the internet so please make rudimentary efforts at fact checking before saying "anyone who is on assistance has a phone provided to them.

1.) The legislation in question was started back in the 1930's or something to help ensure phone companies would develop telephone infrastructure for rural areas as well as highky populated ones. The reasoning was so that rural people can call the doctor and such, and not be excluded from the rest of the workd bc the phone companies don't develop phone infrastructure for one person who lives a hundred miles from the next person.

2.) REAGAN and BUSH signed further versions of this into place. Obama had nothing to do with it.

3.) Any phone someone does get is a limited minute, basic basic flip phone that they can use to call the doctor, be reached by their kid's school in an emergency, or use as contact info for job info.

4.) NONE OF IT is paid for from taxes. It is paid for BY THE PHONE COMPANIES.

I did this off the top of my head based on some internet looking I did in the runup to the election, so this is a rough overview of the situation. You can practice your fact checking to fill in the rest now.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Might want to read some of the information that is available

http://www.assurancewireless.com/Pub...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

You may qualify if you are on certain public assistance programs, like Medicaid or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
    How people qualify does not change who pays for the program.
    It is 0% tax payer funded.
    The telephone companies pay for it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    And thanks for calling me a "political nut", especially since you know jack about me. Good lord, I wish everyone that had a different opinion could stop calling people names - but I guess that just ain't gonna happen, huh?
    Well, we know from another thread that you don't believe in global warming, so that certainly puts you, ummm, on the fringe. So perhaps if you don't want name calling (which is certainly bad) you should not post opinions that make you seem, well, uneducated. Just sayin'...
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

4.) NONE OF IT is paid for from taxes. It is paid for BY THE PHONE COMPANIES.

sort of a tax they just do not call it a tax, as it is an indirect mandated fee on those who pay their phone bills it is "called a Universal Service Charge"

Universal Service Charges
    •The Universal Service Fund (USF) provides support to promote access to telecommunications services at reasonable rates for those living in rural and high-cost areas, income-eligible consumers, rural health care facilities, and schools and libraries.

also low income is a qualifier

OR You may qualify based on household income

http://www.assurancewireless.com/Pub...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

in my zip code the following programs place you in the running to get a free phone:

Medicaid
    Health Benefit Coverage under Child Health Plan
    Food Stamps/SNAP
    Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
    Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
    Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
    State DB Eligible
    National School Lunch's FREE Lunch Program (NSL)

sort of a tax they just do not call it a tax, as it is an indirect mandated fee on those who pay their phone bills it is "called a Universal Service Charge"

Universal Service Charges
    •The Universal Service Fund (USF) provides support to promote access to telecommunications services at reasonable rates for those living in rural and high-cost areas, income-eligible consumers, rural health care facilities, and schools and libraries.
    Not a tax at all if you can opt out by simply not getting a phone.

And the fee is not mandated by anyone other than the phone company, whom you are choosing to patronize with your business. They struck a deal back in the day, and now it is up to them to work out their fee structure accordingly, the same way your trainer works out her fee structure to afford her own USEF membership.

You have to pay for the roads everyone else drives on whether you personally drive on them or not.
    Not so with the Universal Service Charge.

Not a tax at all if you can opt out by simply not getting a phone.

And the fee is not mandated by anyone other than the phone company, whom
    You have to pay for the roads everyone else drives on whether you personally drive on them or not.
    Not so with the Universal Service Charge.
    I do not have a phone.

You can drive on the roads without paying taxes by using an electric car or one using compressed natural gas that you fill up at your house

as for the universal service fee; that did not come about out of the kindness of corporate America's heart... it is a provision of the Telecommunications Act of 1996

"The Universal Service Fund (USF) was created by the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1997 to meet Congressional universal service goals as mandated by the Telecommunications Act of 1996"

the USF fee, which changes quarterly, equals 15.7 percent of a telecom company's interstate and end-user revenues.

so the fee quacks like a tax to me since it is a governemtial mandate

3 members found this post helpful.

Some of the feelings ppl here have for the poor are very disturbing. Yes, I am sure SOME ppl abuse the system but many do not. Vermont implemented many welfare reform policies several yrs back which limit what and how long ppl can get assistance.

Am I figured by you ppl to be one of these low life moochers? I worked all my life until I could not any longer. The last day I inseminated cattle I left teh barn I was at on my hands and knees. I dairy farmed alongside my husband for many yrs before that. Then the spinal issues I had been dealing with since 1979 became permanent incredible pain and I could no longer stand to work.

Apply for disability to find out that the IRS never credited any of our farming yrs income to my income report, it was only credited to my husbands. thought I could just ask for a copy of my previous taxes for proof. NOpe. Proof of burden is upon me they say. I tell them we lost our home and all contents to fire and I don't have them. HIred a disability lawyer. She failed at this also. I was denied disability and had to go through the whole process to the administrative judge. I was granted disability immediately. JUdge was dismayed at how long the system had dragged me along when I am in such obvious distress. But because of my income not being credited I am given SSI. Yup, I pay in to SS all these yr but now can only get $752 a month. Yeah.

I get by barely but do. Or did. In Nov my SO fell while installing a window at my daughters house as a favor. He suffered a tibial plateau fracture of his left leg. His right ankle was completely shattered. He was transferred to a bigger hospital. They now say it will be another 8 MONTHS before they even decide what, if anything CAN be done for the ankle. Of course since his ins had co pays more than we could afford he was sent home for me to nurse. How ironic, I have home health nurses who come here for me. We live 9 miles from the closest town and have no car now.

He has been in a wheelchair until very recently. He was a great part of the income here. Now he has nothing for income. He was on unemployment until spring which is what most contractors in this area have to do until things start back up again. His unemployment amount ran out. There is no temp disability in this state. So now the total income for this household is what I get, $752 a month.

Thursday in horrible pain I hitch-hiked to my doctors appt 52 miles away. Got a ride with someone I knew thankfully the whole way down. I was so scared but I had to get there. they wanted to put me in the hosp again and I refused. In addition to my spine I also have uncontrolled diabetes. My blood sugar keeps bottoming out, and the ambulance has been here three times as it got down to 39 and I could not even speak anymore and am drenched in sweat, etc.

I COULD get more help. I so so much hate using any state resources that I hitch hiked over asking for a state paid ride. REAding what ppl think here of ppl who get any type of assistance at all make me feel just terrible. And it keeps me from asking for help. I feel bad enough myself that I could use help but reading stuff like this prevents me from asking. And then all the well, if you are that poor than you shouldn't have a horse CRAP, is just too much.

My horse ran up a $700 bill this last week. Is my vet worried? Absolutely not. You see. I may be poor but I have good credit because I always pay my bills.I put $400 of it on a credit card that I keep just for the animals and will pay the rest bit by bit.

EVen if I can't buy food for myself, I pay my bills. Since my SO accident thing have slid a bit but my landlord knows us and is patient. They would rather see us have immediate needs and wait on the rent. They also know that SO will be reroofing their home as soon as he can. I have lived here my whole life(53yrs), am well known here. Of course I can have a horse. Why not? I have always put my animals first. They never go without anything they need.

Maybe I should stop reading this forum. I am way too sensitive of a person to not let what i read about how so many feel, bother me, it does. I was thinking about contacting someone for a free ride to another appt but I do not think I can make myself do it now.

And for those who say if I can take care of a horse and lug her water than I can work. I am NOT supposed to do those things according to the doctors. But I do and I always will. I have had my mare since her birth, I had her mother, and her grandmother. Will I get another when she passes? Very likely not, but this one is my responsibility until then. I can't work for a couple of reasons. One, I have NO choice but to take a lot of narcotics. I can not even get out of bed without them. They just added morphine Thurs to my 160mg daily amount of methadone hoping it will help me a bit more as I live in such constant pain I can not sometimes even think. Two, I have total foot drop due to resulting nerve damage which makes me fall down almost daily, sometimes several times daily. Foot catches on something and down I go. I desperately wanted to take a job preparing samples to be sent to labs at my vets. Was I allowed to. Nope, I am too much of a liability, extreme fall risk. So if I want to lug and fall on my own at home doing what I most love, it is still MY business. But to work as such , there are others governing that.

Likely have said too much. But damn, don't I get so sick of reading what a horrid person I must be. I feel bad enough about myself without that. It must be so very nice to live as most here do. I would so be out enjoying all these things I had. I would be much too busy to worry about who might be getting food stamps and how they are spending them. Anyone who would like to come over here and stay with me for a week to get a real taste of living as I have to, come along. I would more than happily share anything I have to share.

Waning, where are you in VT? PM me if you want. I'm in VT a bit longer and I'm going to help you. There are some other VT COTHers here as well who I will recruit.

Hearing your story makes me more upset about the people who DO abuse the system. Case and point. I have a 'friend' whose husband makes almost as much as my husband. They have a little boy, and live rent free in her grandmother's in-law suite thing. They are on every type of state assistance that you can think of. It makes me sick that they are taking resources that they clearly do not need away from people who really do need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I do not have a phone.

You can drive on the roads without paying taxes by using an electric car or one using compressed natural gas that you fill up at your house

as for the universal service fee; that did not come about out of the kindness of corporate America's heart... it is a provision of the Telecommunications Act of 1996

"The Universal Service Fund (USF) was created by the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1997 to meet Congressional universal service goals as mandated by the Telecommunications Act of 1996"

the USF fee, which changes quarterly, equals 15.7 percent of a telecom company's interstate and end-user revenues.

so the fee quacks like a tax to me since it is a governemtial mandate
    Um, what roads will you be driving on in your natural gas car if no tax payers have paid to have them built? The government is going to carry right on charging you money to buikd roads for everyone else whether you drive a donkey cart or fly a helicopter to work.

Again. Taxes are MANDATORY. Nobody is forcing you to buy a phone.

6 members found this post helpful.

Actually, that last statement is incorrect. The telephone companies don't pay for it, we consumers pay for it through a monthly fee tacked onto our phone bills. I think the fee is labeled "universal coverage" or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post

To me it is just one more example of people who already have more than they need getting breaks they DON'T really need, while people who are needy are left out in the cold.
    i know what you mean. something that infuriates me is when i see kids in rich suburban districts (like the one i used to teach in) all getting their own laptops or ipads provided by the schools, while here in the city most of the schools in the district don't even have libraries. the kids who need the most get the least, while the kids whose parents can easily afford to buy them laptops have them provided by the school. where is the justice in that? and that's just the tip of the iceberg! being a teacher in the inner city for the last 3 years has really opened my eyes to the shocking inequality that exists in our country.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

2 members found this post helpful.

Waning Moon....if you were my neighbor, I would make sure your horse was watered for you everyday. I would make sure you had hay in a place that was easy for you to throw to your horse. Even as far away as you live, I would send you something to help, if you PM me.

What I resent is that the government takes the money I sweat to earn and decides who gets it. And their ideas of who is "eligible" really ticks me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    I'm not poor but I don't have a smart phone and I don't want it. Too expensive. I'll keep my cash, thanks.
    Ditto. I have a kindle fire and use that and a free wi ti hotspot if I truly need Internet while away from home. It is just not worth it to me to pay to feed a smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    Actually, that last statement is incorrect. The telephone companies don't pay for it, we consumers pay for it through a monthly fee tacked onto our phone bills. I think the fee is labeled "universal coverage" or something like that.
    You only pay for it if you get a phone. If you don't like the terms, don't get a phone.

Similarly I will only send 5% of my purchase to a breast cancer charity if I buy a pink blanket from SmartPak. If I for some reason really hate breast cancer charities, or just don't want to dress my horse in pink plaid, I don't have to get the blanket. If I do get the blanket "we consumers" are really the ones sending 5 of our money away.

Good thing pinm blankets aren't mandated, huh?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    i know what you mean. something that infuriates me is when i see kids in rich suburban districts (like the one i used to teach in) all getting their own laptops or ipads provided by the schools, while here in the city most of the schools in the district don't even have libraries. the kids who need the most get the least, while the kids whose parents can easily afford to buy them laptops have them provided by the school. where is the justice in that? and that's just the tip of the iceberg! being a teacher in the inner city for the last 3 years has really opened my eyes to the shocking inequality that exists in our country.
    Is it a case of the suburban districts authorizing school budgets large enough to provide the laptops and ipads? This type of program is common in my area but I think it is a state based program.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    Is it a case of the suburban districts authorizing school budgets large enough to provide the laptops and ipads? This type of program is common in my area but I think it is a state based program.
    I am not 100% sure of DieBlaue's particular situation, but I teach in the inner city, too, and I know that our school budgets in this state are determined by property taxes. In other words, the suburbs have much higher education budgets because of the property value, and can afford to purchase laptops and all that for students. Unfortunately, a huge percentage of homes are abandoned in my city, and those that aren't are worth less than 50k in most cases, so the education budget is tiny. So, no technology/books/supplies for us, but the 'burbs where parents can afford them get them provided free. It's not anyone's "fault" exactly, but it does feel unfair when you're trying to teach (or learn).

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    I am not 100% sure of DieBlaue's particular situation, but I teach in the inner city, too, and I know that our school budgets in this state are determined by property taxes. In other words, the suburbs have much higher education budgets because of the property value, and can afford to purchase laptops and all that for students. Unfortunately, a huge percentage of homes are abandoned in my city, and those that aren't are worth less than 50k in most cases, so the education budget is tiny. So, no technology/books/supplies for us, but the 'burbs where parents can afford them get them provided free. It's not anyone's "fault" exactly, but it does feel unfair when you're trying to teach (or learn).

yes, this is the situation here too. i think the way education is funding is so incredibly unfair. all the money should be split evenly per pupil and that's it. it sickens me that schools that have high income populations have bigger per pupil expenditures than schools with poor populations. not that that's the only problem, of course-philadelphia school district is corrupt and run by a bunch of people i wouldn't trust to sweep my floors, and that's why i don't work for them anymore. the funding issue is a big one, though, and an unfair one.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Um, what roads will you be driving on in your natural gas car if no tax payers have paid to have them built? The government is going to carry right on charging you money to buikd roads for everyone else whether you drive a donkey cart or fly a helicopter to work.

Again. Taxes are MANDATORY. Nobody is forcing you to buy a phone.
    you fill up at home and there is no road tax on the fuel; yes there is a bridge fund fee on the cars plate

I do not have a phone, haven't had one for nearly five years... oh my god how have survived