The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Things That Just Aren't Right!

Yesterday, having spent the morning on the phone trying to find churches that have food pantries and getting seriously frustrated to learn that none around here have them but refer callers to a local community service organization without ever having checked out said organization to learn what if any services it actually provides before referring callers to it ...

I felt a lot of sympathy and compassion for people calling churches to ask for food, help with utility bills and rent, clothing, etc. ...

Then today, still a bit bruised from being thrown so many stones when I'd asked about bread, I heard something that really made me angry.

I learned today that all the weird squares you see on everything from city buses to store doors are some sort of scan thing that people with I-phones, smart phones, etc., can scan for special "secret" store discounts and other advantages.

POOR PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD SMART PHONES, I-PHONES, I-PADS, ETC. !!!

To me it is just one more example of people who already have more than they need getting breaks they DON'T really need, while people who are needy are left out in the cold.

If businesses are going to offer discounts they should offer them to people who actually need them.

Most of my friends do not have i-phones, etc., so they are missing out on discounts they could really use.

Sigh. I don't know why I keep trying ...
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    I learned today that all the weird squares you see on everything from city buses to store doors are some sort of scan thing that people with I-phones, smart phones, etc., can scan for special "secret" store discounts and other advantages.

POOR PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD SMART PHONES, I-PHONES, I-PADS, ETC. !!!

To me it is just one more example of people who already have more than they need getting breaks they DON'T really need, while people who are needy are left out in the cold.

QR Codes: A large-scale corporate conspiracy to further disenfranchise the poor. Who knew?

11 members found this post helpful.

I'm surprised at how many people who appear to have less dough than I have $200 phones and the spendy data plans that go with 'em.

But I feel you, OP. For time immemorial, being poor has required leg work and ingenuity. I don't know how good the deals are that come with the QR codes, but I think retailers are happy to sell at the same price to those who ask. So in the poor person's spot, I'd ask about the deal with the QR code that I saw floating around.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm not poor but I don't have a smart phone and I don't want it. Too expensive. I'll keep my cash, thanks.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

8 members found this post helpful.

QR codes are new to me. Thanks to the OP, before this I had no idea what theyr were.

where do you find them?

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    QR codes are new to me. Thanks to the OP, before this I had no idea what theyr were.

where do you find them?
    They show up in advertising frequently, and in other promotional material stores post/hand out. They're often used to lead you to the company's website or to videos from a new ad campaign, or in non-retail situations can take you to webpages with information (ie, putting QR codes on a sign by a landmark with information about the history of the site). I ate at Wienerschnitzel recently and the bag had a code that led to a youtube video about the history of corndogs.

I have never had one get me any good coupons though. I've gotten lazy about bothering to scan them at all because of that.

They're just another way for a tech savvy business to tap into social media. Just like having a facebook page and offering perks to those who 'like' it or having a webpage with internet-only sales or offering online coupons.

I'm sorry, but I have a smartphone and have yet to find some crazy deal or save a wild amount of money through a QR code. I don't think it's a conspiracy.

12 members found this post helpful.

So I can get a YouTube on the history of corndogs for my time and money?

For the love of God, they had better think of better bait than that.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I pass a men's shelter on the way to work every day. I'm constantly amazed by the men standing around outside talking on their cell phones. I'd say they were "Obama" phones but it's been happening longer than that. Crazy.

BTW, I have a "smart phone" furnished by work. It's way damn smarter than I am! LOL!

So why mention "obama phones" when you admit it's a situation not related to Obama? Good Lord, I wish the political nuts wouldn't sully every thread with politics. Go volunteer in a homeless shelter, maybe you'll get a better idea of what their lives are like.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    So why mention "obama phones" when you admit it's a situation not related to Obama? Good Lord, I wish the political nuts wouldn't sully every thread with politics. Go volunteer in a homeless shelter, maybe you'll get a better idea of what their lives are like.
    Because anyone that is now on "food stamps" or some other such assistance now has a phone furnished for them. Before, at least they had to pay for them themselves. I just found the priorities interesting.

And thanks for calling me a "political nut", especially since you know jack about me. Good lord, I wish everyone that had a different opinion could stop calling people names - but I guess that just ain't gonna happen, huh?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    Because anyone that is now on "food stamps" or some other such assistance now has a phone furnished for them. . .
    Really? Where'd you find that out?

NVM Internet is full of info but it dates back to 1984 lifeline legislation. Interesting.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    oh, like the news....

It's popularly known as 'Obama phone' right now, but it has been available since before him. Not sure how long though.

It is considered vital these days to have a phone for various purposes, like calling emergency services, and frankly, have you tried to find a payphone these days?!

But, from what I understand the services/minutes are rather limited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Ehow has a link, A. 38 states, limited providers, limited minutes. It's the old lifeline land line service extended to cellular. I wonder how comprehensive the sevice really is?
    Incredible Invisible

Wellspotted, I share your frustration, but those QC things (or whatever they are called) don't really give anyone an unfair advantage. I've been really broke before and have discovered that in order to take advantage of special deals one has to spend money one doesn't have - sort of like two for one - yes it's a half price deal but unless it's a product you must have (like bread) it basically has no value, it's just appealling to an aspect of the human psyche that perceives a value. Smewhere out there are studies that have been done showing how humans can create a value for something mentally, that really doesn't exist.

I don't have a smart phone either, and everytime I see one of those things I wonder what I am missing, but I don't sweat it. I don't live to shop.

I'd be curious if one of you with a smart phone would do a quick study for a day and see what you get from each code you scan. History of the corn dog or great coupoon?
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

Those codes aren't as good as the coupons you can get with the free cards at drugstores and supermarkets. The free cards let you save money and get discounts on food and at the drug stores too. Our owner finally broke down and bought a smart phone, but the codes aren't that great.

OP, go down to those 2 old episcopalian churches right in downtown you-know-where. Both churches supply food to those who cannot afford it. And, if you are willing to work at either of those 2 churches, by helping set up for services, cleaning afterwards, etc., they will either pay you in money or in food provisions. Our owner is one of the "frozen-chosen," and the episcopalians do try to give back to people.

As for smartphones, now some of the older model i-phones come free with some of the service plans in your area. Some of those set monthly fee service plans will give you the free iphone4. Our BO's daughter has the $40 a month text/call service, no internet, and got the iphone4 free with it. (or maybe it's $30 a month, we warmbloods forget.)

Go down in person to those 2 big old beautiful episcopalian churches and talk to the about trading work for food. Almost all of the services to help people are downtown, not out where you are

Also downtown is the big Methodist church which provides services to people. And we forget the other 2 churches which also help out. All are within walking distance of each other. .

We warmbloods don't understand why Obama must be blamed for everything. There are many white people who are getting services free from the government. Obama is not to blame for all the ills of the world. And we take umbrage at attacks on him, cause we're part Arab. We believe that everyone should have food and medical care. Let healthy people work off the expenses, but why should people not have food and medical care? Where's the compassion that humans claim to have?

15 members found this post helpful.

Vermont does not supply phones to ppl on food stamps.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    Because anyone that is now on "food stamps" or some other such assistance now has a phone furnished for them. Before, at least they had to pay for them themselves. I just found the priorities interesting.

And thanks for calling me a "political nut", especially since you know jack about me. Good lord, I wish everyone that had a different opinion could stop calling people names - but I guess that just ain't gonna happen, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    Go volunteer in a homeless shelter, maybe you'll get a better idea of what their lives are like.
    My wife used to volunteer at our church's soup kitchen. About 90% of the people going there are multi-baby welfare queens with obvious displays of disposable cash.

I do hope the leeches drain the host completely until it dies.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post

NVM Internet is full of info but it dates back to 1984 lifeline legislation. Interesting.
    Might want to read some of the information that is available

http://www.assurancewireless.com/Pub...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

You may qualify if you are on certain public assistance programs, like Medicaid or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    We believe that everyone should have food and medical care. Let healthy people work off the expenses, but why should people not have food and medical care? Where's the compassion that humans claim to have?
    You're pretty damn free with other people's money, aren't you?

13 members found this post helpful.