The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Twitter, Anyone?

I had a job interview this week and one of the things asked was did I have any experience with Facebook and/or Twitter?

I know only one person who does Twitter. I signed up tonight.

Can anyone here tell me what Twitter is all about? When I first logged on, it asked me if I wanted to follow some people, Lady Gaga and Lindsey Lohan et al.

I don't know these people. I mean, I know who Lindsey Lohan is, and have heard of Lady Gaga, but have no interest in following them on Twitter (I can do that on Google or Yahoo! should I want to).

Only thing I "get" about Twitter is that its news feeds contain actual news, not just the daily doings of my friends, which I can find out elsewhere by actually being with them or talking with them or e-mailing them.

But the job interview made me curious and I thought I'd try Twitter, but now that I'm there I don't really know what to do.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I'm right there with you. I find Twitter overwhelming, but it can be a good way to reach a ton of people at once.

I like to follow some of the bigger names (like Reed Kessler or Sinead Halpin) because they post 'behind the scenes' pictures sometimes.

In no way, shape, or form do I #understandtheuseofhashtags. I get that you can click on them, and they bring up tweets from other users who understandtheuseofhashtags... but what's the point? If I wanted to talk to a bunch of people I don't know, I'd go to the mall...
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I 'follow' people who typically post things of interest to me (Dave Ramsey, Pi Kappa Delta, American Society of Animal Scientists) - I 'retweet' things I like a lot, and occasionally tweet quotes that I see or thoughts -- nothing too personal as I do have it public.

I also follow people/groups I find funny.....panelists from NPR's Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me, Cracked.com, etc.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!

I love Twitter. I don't do much net surfing or forum reading at work - too busy! - but I do always keep a Twitter client open. My interests are quite varied (horses, Arsenal FC, indie rock, classical music, tech news, regular news, and politics), and Twitter basically means I can stay up to date on ALL of them at once, in one scrolling window.

As to hashtags - they are very useful when someone or a group of someones are live-tweeting something, such as #MaclayFinals. A lot of Arsenal FC's soccer matches take place during the day when I can't watch or listen, so bringing up the #Arsenal hashtag means I get updates on the game as they happen from fans all over the world, which is a lot more interesting than sitting in a lonely office waiting for Gamecast to update on @ESPN. The hashtag jokes are funny as well IMO.

So - I'd say follow people & businesses who are interesting or relevant to you. @ChronofHorse for a start!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

What's a hashtag?

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    What's a hashtag?
    Anything you see on Twitter that has a pound sign - # - in front of it. If you click on the word with the hashtag in front of it, e.g. #MaclayFinals, it will bring up every tweet by every person who is using the word #MaclayFinals. Give it a try!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Thanks

No prob!

Always learn something new on COTH!!

Oh, and Wellspotted, here's another thing: Twitter is AWESOME in emergencies. I live alone in the back of beyond and I have my local newspaper's Twitter feed, my county Sheriff's office Twitter feed, and a couple of local weather people's Twitter feeds forwarded to my phone during weather emergencies (and other emergencies, such as the prisoner from the state prison who got loose and was being hunted one road over from me a couple weeks ago). Our local newspaper really deserves an award for best use of social media - they are outstanding - everything you would want to know in an emergency, they Tweet!

We hope you get the job!

Thank you all!

I LOVE twitter. I've been using it for a few years. Yea, it's useful for posting "status" updates but what I prefer to do is to follow companies that I'm interested in. I don't get as bombarded as I do on facebook (with a lot of people in my feed no one company/person overwhelms) and it has seriously alerted me to a lot of new and interesting links. I follow the local news, larger news companies, entrepreneurial sites, comedians, celebrities, my friends, really anyone who looks interesting.

I'm a big fan. I have my feed open a LOT.