The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hormones? Just the winter blues?

I'm not really sure whats going on... I'm normally not a stressed out person and I can take everything as it comes... these past few weeks I feel like I've been all over the place. I go from being ready to throat punch poor Mr. Minion for no reason (I resist), to feeling ready to burst into tears, to happy happy happy, and then back again. I feel like a total space cadet and have a constant headache.

I originally thought that maybe I was pregnant since I'm also a week or so late, but 9 negative sticks and a blood test later confirm no. My OB thinks that I'm just overwhelmed. I eat well, drink lots of water, and get between 8-10 hours of sleep a night. We are getting ready to move, but DH is on leave and home to run the majority of that show. I get outside a lot, to the barn, walking the dogs, out with my best friend, etc.

I'm thinking maybe a Vit. D or B12 deficiency? I'm going to call my PCP Monday and get an appointment before we leave.

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I am unusually unstable and know a few other females going through the same thing right now. If you find something that helps, clue the rest of us in :hug:

Mood swings can be indicative of Type 2 diabetes. Your moods shift when your sugar levels spike and crash. You can be "healthy" and still have high blood sugar.
    Feel better soon!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder every winter. I think part of it stems from Vitamin D deficiency. The other part, I'm not sure.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like stress. Winter does suck and it needs to be OVER! I know when I've had a particularly bad, stressful day at work I cycle through aggressive, to sad, to things are fine...and I think "man, I really need to realign my chakras" LOL! Hope you feel better soon!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Me, too! Crabby, angry, had a "clear the air" meltdown w poor DH and I feel normal today. The sun is shining so that helps.

Thanks everybody!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one! I'm going to give B12 a shot, and see what my PCP says... I've been reading a bit about Type 2 and it's kind of a list of everything that I'm having issues with. Numbness in my hands/feet; check. Bad breath; check (I have to brush my teeth at least 4 times a day...tmi maybe..). Mood swings; check. Extreme hunger; check.

My poor husband... Hopefully the solution is as easy as B12 though!
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

If the other possibilities don't pan out, consider a tick borne disease.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    In the winter? We had a ton of Lyme in our area this summer, but I didn't find a single tick on me. DH, however, was covered during hunting season. I'm not achy at all, but it's worth investigating! Thanks!

I have been out of sorts since October - crabby, short tempered and it kept getting worse as winter slowly ground onward at the speed of an ossified snail. Today, other than sore from bouncing around in the tractor cab, I feel better, and it is because we are on day two of seeing the sun. The sun went into hiding in October and has rarely been seen except for a very few hours a week until yesterday.

Maybe try Vit D tablets? They may help and in any case, cannot hurt
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Same boat here. I have been going bat sh** crazy all winter. I eat right, get my sleep, take my vitamins, get my exercise, but man , this sucks. I am even doing this on line posting thing in efforts to get out of my funk. I am ready for spring thats for sure. This has been just so hard. So huge hugs to all of you with this issue. i know how you feel.

VITAMIN D3... That's what you get from the sun...
    Most don't get enough in the winter and if you are low- you get depressed...

Do some research It's an easy fix and well-worth it!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

1 members found this post helpful.

VITAMIN D3... That's what you get from the sun...
    Most don't get enough in the winter and if you are low- you get depressed...

Do some research It's an easy fix and well-worth it!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

How old are you? (approx age is fine)
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Exactly! I was going to post this, but LauraKY beat me to it. When I've had Lyme I've been very grumpy (and have had a bad headache). Yes, you can have Lyme in the winter, you don't necessarily feel the symptoms instantly after being bitten. It may take a few weeks to become symptomatic.

Since you can't figure out why you are feeling this way (i.e. it doesn't seem to be situational, unless it is the winter (but then, wouldn't you have felt this way in previous winters?) I'd lean heavily in this direction.

Oh - I saw your profile -you're just in your 20's. I dunno - that seems awfully young to start perimenopause symptoms so I'd say go to the dr and get a full workup. Your female hormones could be wonky or you could have something else going on - vitamin deficiency, low cortisol, etc. Something minor could make you feel horrible.

Hope you feel better soon.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Thanks everybody!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one! I'm going to give B12 a shot, and see what my PCP says... I've been reading a bit about Type 2 and it's kind of a list of everything that I'm having issues with. Numbness in my hands/feet; check. Bad breath; check (I have to brush my teeth at least 4 times a day...tmi maybe..). Mood swings; check. Extreme hunger; check.

My poor husband... Hopefully the solution is as easy as B12 though!
    This is a sensitive question that you need not answer. Are you overweight? Losing weight ? When my husband was diagnosed with type 2 it all stared with, first, unexplained weight gain despite not eating much and eating healthy. We didn't think about diabetes until he started to be abnormally thirsty ( consuming large amounts of water) and commenting that his vision seemed blurred. Then his weight dropped dramatically. He had none of the symptoms you describe.

Make sure you PCP checks your blood sugar .

I too have been really up and down lately. I'm unemployed and my boyfriend works full-time so my time is really my own to do what I want with it. Most days that involves spending time in the house journaling, talking to long-distance friends and family, or watching movies. I go out and socialize once or twice a week. But lately (I think this is a side effect on my very scattered diet the past few weeks) I've been happy one minute, sad the next, then annoyed, depressed, etc! Having weird dreams too. I'm really hoping that a job (have two promising interviews) will provide me with the structure I am not so good at providing myself. And I need togo back to yoga.

So I'm right there with ya OP!

Thanks, everybody!

I'm 23, and in pretty good shape. 5'3 and 110lbs, which I'm told is ideal. I picked up some B12 and D tonight at the drug store, still planning on a visit to my PCP on Monday.

I told DH that I was getting the Vitamins in hopes that they would help, and how nice it is to not feel like I'm the only one and he wanted me to tell all of you "Thank you for helping my wife put water on the fire, as he seems to be out of anything but fuel."

I'm thinking about getting into yoga as well, goodness knows I could use some centerfication.

Will ask about Lyme as well. No stone left unturned!

When you go to the dr - have them run a thyroid panel. When you posted that quote from your husband, the "running out of anything but fuel" I wondered about a hyperactive thyroid. Since she will probably draw blood anyway - might as well run the thyroid hormones. At least then you can rule that out as a cause of your symptoms.
    -Rudyard Kipling