The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Default Deciphering a Dutch microchip number - success!

Info from vet who scanned it

Code 528
    # 210000202607

Figuring that the horse was Dutch (tho not necessarily KWPN) based on the country info, I looked around in the http://www.horsetelex.com site and determined that what we have does not appear to be a KWPN number. Those start with the last two digits of the year of birth, followed by five additional digits. I tried plugging in various parts of the above # to no avail.

The horse was probably born late 90's and is grey. He does not appear to have a brand, but is not clipped so it's hard to tell. I think that the Dutch stopped branding at some point before the U year.

He may (or may not) be a Zangersheide. I think I heard something about that at one point.

Update added post #11
    Last edited by Peggy; Feb. 13, 2013 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Update and change title
    The Evil Chem Prof

The chip code is from the Zangersheide Reitpferd. Contact them with the complete code and number, they can tell you who he is.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you. Email has been sent.
    The Evil Chem Prof

http://www.pve.nl/pve?waxtrapp=szhtB...hfMsHsuOnbPTEY

Not sure if this is any help?
    Microchip number # 528210000202607
    Perhaps you could ask the KWPN for more details on this horse (Identifiaction #97.01833) to see if it's a match?
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

Thanks. Will try that too. The year makes sense, according to what the vet found.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Will you update us on the outcome ? That is rather interesting :-)
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    Will you update us on the outcome ? That is rather interesting :-)
    For sure. I assume I won't hear back from anyone until at least Monday.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Don't quote me, but random Dutch-language googling comes up with Power Boy, Athletico x Jebora S by Equador. Breeder was J. Sloof from Stolwyk, NL. He doesn't appear on Horsetelex, although his mother does with her O-year foal. His father now stands in Italy and has a website, www.athletico.it, where Power Boy appeared in the list of offspring ("nakomeling" in Dutch).

2 members found this post helpful.

According to this document (http://www.athletico.it/images/offspring.pdf) that lists the offspring of Athletico, the registration number of Power Boy is 97.01833 which matches the number from the chip lookup page. So it is likely that we know who he is, but not what he was doing between April 2003 (competition record) and roughly two years ago when the current owner bought him. I tried searching USEF for Power Boy and got nothing and did a sire search for Athletico and got nothing that seemed to match.

Microchips are useful!
    The Evil Chem Prof

Heard back from both Zangersheide and KWPN this morning. Zangersheide says he's not one of theirs, but suggested I contact KWPN. KWPN provided me with the name and an attachment with his performance record, which goes to 2004, but the 2004 classes were HC so maybe didn't show up on the sire performance record.

Amazing service all around!
    The Evil Chem Prof

Thanks to you guys, a smart vet with a chip reader, and some really nice Dutch registry people, we have a definitive ID, a copy of his competition record, and a copy of the pedigree page from his papers (with both the chip and registry numbers), along with an offer to provide a copy of the papers and the passport.

Thank you!

Now if the US system was as efficient we might have some idea of what happened with the horse between 2004 and 2011. The seller said he was 14 and, at different times, a Zangersheide or Hanoverian.

I am beginning to think that, at least some of the time, when people claim they have no idea of their horse's ID and no idea how to get it, that they really don't want to get it. Or maybe not everyone is as nice as the Dutch.
    The Evil Chem Prof

2 members found this post helpful.

thats sounds nice ! maybe drop the breeder a snail mail letter ! I keep repeating this, but due to the US system we euro breeders loose track of our horses and I would say most of them are happy to hear.
    Even if they do not understand english. If you put pedigree into the letter and a picture I guess most on them will for sure try to get someone translate the letter they got for them !

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    thats sounds nice ! maybe drop the breeder a snail mail letter ! I keep repeating this, but due to the US system we euro breeders loose track of our horses and I would say most of them are happy to hear.
    Even if they do not understand english. If you put pedigree into the letter and a picture I guess most on them will for sure try to get someone translate the letter they got for them !
    My friend did buy the horse, so I will try to persuade her to do this. Great idea about including the pedigree in the letter.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Well and maybe someone before in the line did this, too. So you may end up filling the gap in his history ?

Sure would be nice if we started microchipping all our horses in this country too. What a valuable resource that would be.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Kathy, if you would see the nasty things I saw with microchips in horses ....
    I would prefer a brand with a 3 digit number underneath and record the swirls as they do in racehorses ! Makes it also easier for people as it is already visible without a maschine and only a few brands are not readable compared to the number of branded horses. But this is a totally different topic.