The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any Knitters? Fringe question

I have just completed my first knitted afghan. I did it for my Mom for Christmas - she made so many nice things for me in the past that I decided to make something for her. It turned out pretty well - now I want to put some fringe on it.

So here's my question - when you put the fringe on, do you put fringe on each of the stitches that makes up the bottom edge? This afghan was 107 stitches wide and I knitted with doubled yarn. So do I put 107 fringe bunches on the bottom or every other stitch or???

Any advice welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    I have just completed my first knitted afghan. I did it for my Mom for Christmas - she made so many nice things for me in the past that I decided to make something for her. It turned out pretty well - now I want to put some fringe on it.

So here's my question - when you put the fringe on, do you put fringe on each of the stitches that makes up the bottom edge? This afghan was 107 stitches wide and I knitted with doubled yarn. So do I put 107 fringe bunches on the bottom or every other stitch or???

Any advice welcome!
    You can do anything you like--it's YOURknitting. I'd say depends on the thickness of the yarn, I sometimes do every other stitch with double yarn, whic is less time consuming but looks nice. What a great gift!

I usually do every other stitch with double yarn. It would make me crazy to do every stitch, and I'm impatient!

Thanks guys! I think I'll try ever other stitch and see how it looks. I can always add more in.

Believe me - I am the least crafty person you know. But I figured I could do this and I've learned a lot. I really appreciate the videos I've found on the internet. Much easier to follow them than the knitting books, altho given my craft handicap, I needed both!!

Next project - a baby afghan for a good friend's daughter. I'm getting brave!

I think the last time I did a fringe I did every 2nd stitch, but with quadrupled yarn. That was an Aran weight yarn, rib stitch.

Other knitters, eh? What are you working on?

Oldernewbie, you should join Ravelry. Like coth for knitters

2 members found this post helpful.

not knitting.. thew the needles down, afghan and scarf...using the yarn now to make crochet granny squares...

I must be getting old, because in my olden days I would have already finished a full size blanket.... for now I don't have enough to swaddle a baby....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Oldernewbie, you should join Ravelry. Like coth for knitters
    If I get addicted to another forum I may get evicted!

[Thanks for the tip - I'll check them out!]

If you join Ravelry, prepare to not be sleeping much for 1-2 weeks because it's that addictive. lol.

Don't knit - I crochet. And thanks to Ravelry I may never be able to leave my house again if I plan on finishing even half the projects I've put in my favorites.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I do both - lately I've been addicted to crocheted hats!!
    They're fun and I can do one in a few hours.