The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare that gave birth at Louisiana Downs in 2008 retired from racing

From the Paulick Report:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bl...d-from-racing/

Tiger Eyed, a Louisiana bred mare by Ide out of Loveswept Cat by Tactical Cat first made news back in August 2008 when it was discovered that she at only two years old, had delivered a filly foal in her stall at Louisiana Downs. The story got national attention.

“We have been following this mare since the story about her having a foal at 2 years old came to light, “ said Marlene Murray, president of the R.A.C.E. Fund, a 501 C 3 non profit organization that helps retire and rescue thoroughbreds horses. “Tiger Eyed was a steady check getter when she was racing but when she stopped hitting the board last year, we contacted her trainer, Shane Wilson and asked him if he would notify us when they were ready to retire her,” Murray said. “Mr. Wilson said he would speak to the owner about it and gave me his email address to send our contact information. I would contact Shane periodically and he said he would let us know when they were done racing her.”

“Months before we had contacted Donna Keen at Remember Me Rescue in Texas and asked her if she could take Tiger Eyed once she was retired so we knew had a good reputable place to send her and it was within close proximity of the Louisiana tracks,” Murray stated. Donna responded right away and said: “I would be honored to have Tiger Eyed here at Remember Me Rescue and I was at Louisiana Downs the day she had the foal and remember her well.”

“On January 21st, 2013 Shane Wilson called me and said the owner was ready to retire Tiger Eyed,” Murray stated. “I contacted her owner, Mr. Cunningham to complete the necessary paperwork and to let Donna Keen know that Tiger Eyed was finally coming to her rescue.” With the help of Desiree at Richard Goetz Horse Transportation and Joe Offolter, Tiger Eyed was on her way within a few days to Remember Me Rescue in Texas.” Donna says “Tiger Eyed is a sweetheart, very smart and everyone loves her.”

A collaborative effort between the R.A.C.E. Fund and Remember Me Rescue and her trainer making that call when Tiger Eyed’s racing career ended she now will have another life after racing. One thing for sure said Murray, “she will not be a broodmare. “We were able to find out that the foal Tiger Eyed had in 2008 was sold for a polo horse but unfortunately do not know where she is currently located.” “We are hopeful she will have a long safe journey. Who knows, maybe Tiger Eyed and her daughter will be reunited someday”

She's really lovely, here's a link with photos and updates on her current training: http://www.teamkeen.com/horsesavaila...tigereyed.html

Too bad they already have an adoption pending. I'd be interested in her
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow she's lovely!!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

She is lovely!
    Any idea what happened to the baby?

I've had her in my virtual stable ever since someone posted on here in 2008 that she'd foaled at the track as a 2 yr old. She has been running ever since. She was in some claiming races for a year or so, finally for 5,000, but no takers. Then she was finishing way up the track at the end of last year and early this year. I was afraid she would end up in a very bad situation. Or break down on the track down there.

I am so happy she will be adopted out, and hopefully end up with a good home. I board my horse and my horse's horse, so i could not take her on. But she has got to have good legs to have stayed in racing since she had the foal.

I wonder what happened to her foal? Anyone know? Apparently she'd been out with other 2 yr olds, including colts, so if I remember the thread correctly, the sire was unknown at the time of foaling. And if the foal played polo, hopefully she got a good home somewhere. And I thought she had a colt.

Very beautiful mare! So glad to hear she has landed in a safe spot.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I'm pretty sure there was another filly who foaled at the track and she had a colt. They were able to get permission to race the colt, but had to be gelded simce they didn't know the sire. It was quite a few years ago. I remember I was amazed the trainer couldn't notice some sign of pregnancy. The only thing he noticed was she wasn't "tucked up" and fit looking after all the months of traing. I think the colt's name was Who's My Daddy. I think it was in Pa. But then, my memory banks are pretty shot full of holes these days, so I could be wrong about all of this.

http://articles.philly.com/2001-04-1...aghers-filly/2 The mare was Compelling Sound and she had a filly who was named Amazing Philly.

Ok, I was two thirds right...there was an unexpected foal, but a filly not a colt she was able to race, bit no papers for breeding. There WAS a mare named Whos My Daddy, but she evidemtly knew who her daddy was! *sheepish grin*

Whos My Daddy was a KY bred if I remember right from the late 90's or early 2000's I can't remember exactly but I was racing in KY when it happened and everybody ragged on the trainer for not noticing a pregnant mare.

They had to geld him and he only had racing papers and not a full JC registration, wonder where he ended up?