The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about Facebook.

If you have 300 or 500 friends on Facebook, do you somehow block everybody's newsfeed? But stay friends with them?

I just started using FB and already overwhelmed with too much info!

Do you mean an individual? I have one FB friend who I like -- and I even like reading the stuff she shares -- BUT BUT BUT I think she posts/shares about 12-20 items per hour! Instead of seeing all my friends' news, it was like I was attending a one-woman show.

I right-clicked on the top of one of her posts and it said "hide post" but then gave me an option to control what kind of stuff I got from this person -- everything or just important things. No idea how it's going to judge that something is important but it is giving me a break anyway. The difference was dramatic and immediate!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

You can remove individual people from your news feed by going to their page, hovering over the checkmarked word 'Friends', and unselecting "Show in news feed" So you can remove seeing acquaintances, people whose views you really don't want to see, etc this way while still remaining friends.

Although, over time, it does seem to select those you interact with the most and make their posts more common in the news feed opposed to others.

I'm friends with about 150 people now, and there are definitely people I've removed from my newsfeed-- anyone I don't really know but felt obligated to friend, anyone who posts a lot of political or religious stuff, or tries to sell things like smokeless candles or diet supplements, anyone who updates every twenty minutes or posts hundreds of pictures of their kids daily... I also hide any game related posts.

I created a bunch of different groups. Horse friends, dog friends, friends from my old company, old friends, family, neighborhood, etc. that way I can browse status update by category. Makes it easier and I'm more likely to be able to catch updates from close friends if I have a special group just for the people who fall into that category for me.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I keep it simple - a smaller number of friends who post info I'm actually interested in reading.

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    I created a bunch of different groups. Horse friends, dog friends, friends from my old company, old friends, family, neighborhood, etc. that way I can browse status update by category. Makes it easier and I'm more likely to be able to catch updates from close friends if I have a special group just for the people who fall into that category for me.
    Facebook also provides special "Close Friends", "Acquaintances", and "Restricted" groups that you can place people in. When the people in your "Close Friends" group post something, you get a notification about it, so you don't miss anything they post. The "Acquaintances" group won't show up in your news feed except for certain updates deemed important. The "Restricted" group, on the other hand, limits those people to only seeing things you post with a Public privacy setting. I added some people I don't know because we play the same Facebook game, so I put them in the Restricted group and they cannot see my regular posts to friends.