The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you mean when you say 'grain'?

I've always thought of 'grain' as oats, corn, barley, 'sweet feed' and the like. I don't think of beet pulp or rice bran or hay pellets as 'grain'. So I'm kind of confused by some of the posts that talk about graining their horses. What do YOU consider 'grain'? And do you feed it?

Grain to me is what you interpret grain to be

I have come to use the word "supplements" which is a catch-all for things like forage cubes or pellets, rice bran, vit/min supplements, arthritis meds, ulcer meds, etc.

I haven't fed my horses grain since 2007.

Depending which horse, I either feed a grain-and-soy-free ration balancer, or condensed vitamin/mineral supplement that only requires one ounce for the horse's nutritional needs to be met.

1 members found this post helpful.

"Grain" is sort of like "Kleenex" to me. It means any concentrate except pelletized hay.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

7 members found this post helpful.

I use grain as a catch-all phrase for whatever my horse eats on a regular basis that's not hay, grass, or treats. I don't consider beet pulp, supplements, and rice bran etc. grain, but it's easier to say "here's my horse's grain" rather than "here's my horse's grain, forage, and supplements."

Quote Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
    I use grain as a catch-all phrase for whatever my horse eats on a regular basis that's not hay, grass, or treats. I don't consider beet pulp, supplements, and rice bran etc. grain, but it's easier to say "here's my horse's grain" rather than "here's my horse's grain, forage, and supplements."
    this. Basically, whatever is in the bucket.

2 members found this post helpful.

Right. I know a complete feed or a pelleted forage is not a grain. It might even be grain free. But I'm still likely to call it grain.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I think of "grain" as being any feed that comes in a bag and is fed in a bucket. I'm aware that what my gelding gets isn't truly grain, but a complete pellet plus some probiotics (and sometimes some canola meal in winter), but it's what he's fed at "grain time" when the other horses get grain-based feed (both straight grains and grain based pellets/extruded feed).

Since I've worked in a feed store for the last four years, I tend to refer to grain as "grain", and lump everything else that is not hay or hay-based forage under "feed". I also try to be precise about using "complete feed" versus "fortified feed", not to mention ration balancers. Some "feeds" are supplements, other "feeds" can be an entire ration.

A feed store can be surprisingly confusing, even for the folks that work there
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

2 members found this post helpful.

Most people I know refer to what is fed at meal time to their horse as "grain" sometimes feed, but in most cases I have never misunderstood someone when they say "grain". Most people I know use grain and feed interchangeably probably because until recently most feeds have included grains. If people are referring to oats/corn/etc they usually say straight grains or clarify what they mean. So when someone refers to "grain" I usually assume they mean feed whether they mean straight grains or a complete feed.

I mean it however I define it in the context of use, and request that others do that if I'm trying to offer suggestions to their question

Question... Does anybody feed their horses grain??? My horses only get oats and mineral supplement, and somehow I get the impression that nobody in the US feeds oats..
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

Catch-all to me, too, like "coke" or "xerox". Anything I scoop from a bag and feed to a horse.

I feed oats if I have a horse that's working fairly hard and needs the extra calories. Which means, at the moment, nobody.
    Click here before you buy.

To me, grain is 'feed'. Anything that is not forage based (so hay pellets, cubes, etc. don't count as grain). This includes oats, sweet feed, and 'complete' feeds that are processed and may be based on rice bran, beet pulp, etc. Straight rice brain and beet pulp are a separate category AFAIC. I DO NOT feed sweet feeds, corn, oats, etc. I DO feed a complete, processed feed that is made from rice bran and beet pulp, but only to horses who need a little 'extra' for whatever reason, and only if increased forage (alfalfa cubes or chopped hay) doesn't do the trick. Most of my guys are on free choice grass/hay only, but I am blessed with great pastures.

I have worked at barns that DO feed oats, but they seem to be in the minority. Racehorses over here are frequently fed oats. I've also seen oats fed at a property where the horses were in bad shape. Straight oats doesn't provide much in the form of nutrition. They pass mostly undigested through the horse and I think of them like saltine crackers for horses. They make a great vehicle for minerals/supplements, but that's about it. At the track, they're mostly used as a filler.

I feed oats with a pelleted vit/min supplement. I find it cheaper and much better bang for my buck than feeding a processed grain that needs to be fed at a specific amount, which is nearly always too much for my horses. ETA: Oats are most certainly not difficult for a healthy horse to digest and do provide a good source of extra calories. I was able to go from feeding 4 pounds of Safe Choice plus two pounds of rice bran to only 3 pounds of oats with better results with the oats than the processed feed. It might just be my experience, but I would really need to be convinced to go back to a processed feed. If I go high-quality and high-price, I would still need to feed more to get the recommended balance of minerals, vitamins, etc. It is much simpler to feed what I need and add a supplement to cover the other bases.

That being said, I call whatever hard feed that is not beet pulp grain. Usually it just saves time and confusion. Also, I have noticed many people mix beet pulp and/or alfalfa pellets with a true grain like oats or a grain-containing processed feed. It is easier to say "This is his grain," rather than "This is his grain, beet pulp, and alfalfa pellets."

Pretty much everything besides beet pulp and other specialty stuff.
    Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

They pass mostly undigested through the horse
    Myth. Oats are loaded with calories, lysine, and even a modest amount of protein. Plenty digestible. What you see in the poop is mostly hulls, with the odd whole oat, certainly. Just as you will see if feeding whole corn, barley, or any other seed.
    Click here before you buy.

Grain = cereal.
    Alfalfa = legume
    Hay = grass
    Sugar beet = root
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Myth. Oats are loaded with calories, lysine, and even a modest amount of protein. Plenty digestible. What you see in the poop is mostly hulls, with the odd whole oat, certainly. Just as you will see if feeding whole corn, barley, or any other seed.
    Call this my new thing I learned for the day!

Thank you all for your answers))) I was just wondering, because I will move my horses from Europe to Florida and of course I already worry what to feed over there.....
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

I say "grain" to mean any concentrate/hard feed.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.