The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How long for fly predators to work?

Flies are terrible at my barn this year! I ordered some fly predators finally. It wasn't this bad last year! How long do they take to work? I got a double order for this and next month. Should I go buy a trap in the meantime?Thanks!

You're playing catchup now, unfortunately. It will be a couple of generations of flies before they make a dent. In the meantime, sticky traps and stinky traps work, depending on what type of flies you have, and so does bait/poison, assiduous poop control, eliminating tall grasses near where the horses hang out, and other means. I bed my horse porch with cedar bedding and that helps a little, too. I feed Solitude starting in February as the other main intervention. It takes a village!
    Click here before you buy.

Yes, you need traps. If the flies are bad enough, you're looking at either VERY heavy applications of predators this year, like 2-3-4 times what you would normally need for the number of horses, or it's going to take a couple of years to keep reducing the population every generation.

Check your fly predators carefully when they arrive. I had used them for several years, then I received a few shipments where there almost no predators....I released a lot of hatching flies instead....made my fly problem incredibly worse.

Just in case you didn't already know, fly predators lay their eggs in fly larva and are hatched in fly larva.
    If the predator wasps don't kill all of the larva....you gets flies too! I started noticing that my fly problem was increasing after I released the predators. Although, there were times when they worked very well, It seemed like there was a quality control issue with the companies...I tried more than one.

Stopped using them after that. Instead, we start a bunch of stink traps early in spring and keep our manure pile turned.

I received a few shipments where there almost no predators....I released a lot of hatching flies instead....made my fly problem incredibly worse.
    Huh?

I've been using leftover Bermuda for bedding. The ground is super hard in summer and I have a hard time keeping something for them to lay on. Shavings, pellets, etc, doesn't cut it and the Bermuda bits seemed to work. Should I get straw instead? I think the Bermuda isn't helping the fly problem. How are flies with straw?

Flies like damp and dark and warm. They don't care for clean and dry and airy. Try mixing in some cedar bedding--it's not miraculous IME, but it does help some.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Huh?
    The parasite ( fly predator) lays it's eggs in the fly pupae. This is what destroys the fly population on your farm. If the company ships you fly pupae that hasn't been properly parasitized, you get a bag full of hatching flies.

Oh, nevermind. I have myself confused now. Back to the biology textbook to make myself more clear.

I've been using Arbico for 10 years now and not once have I thought I've gotten any hatching flies in a batch. But then again, I don't put things out with just a few predators having hatched - I tend to wait until there are quite a few, and have never seen anything odd. Maybe there has been a pupae or three that weren't properly parasitized, but certainly nothing enough to warrant any concern.

Out of all those batches, I only had one that just never hatched anything at all.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've switched from Arbico to Spaulding this year and I've noticed a huge reduction in flies. However, I'm also down to two horses and my next door neighbor has sold all his cattle. I do have much, much fewer face flies.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Check your fly predators carefully when they arrive. I had used them for several years, then I received a few shipments where there almost no predators....I released a lot of hatching flies instead....made my fly problem incredibly worse.

Just in case you didn't already know, fly predators lay their eggs in fly larva and are hatched in fly larva.
    If the predator wasps don't kill all of the larva....you gets flies too! I started noticing that my fly problem was increasing after I released the predators. Although, there were times when they worked very well, It seemed like there was a quality control issue with the companies...I tried more than one.

Stopped using them after that. Instead, we start a bunch of stink traps early in spring and keep our manure pile turned.
    Are you getting yours from Spalding? I've used them for like 15 years and that has totally NEVER happened to me; they would definitely want to know, and will absolutely make good and replace your order!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    In the meantime, sticky traps and stinky traps work, depending on what type of flies you have, and so does bait/poison, assiduous poop control, eliminating tall grasses near where the horses hang out, and other means.
    Make sure you put stinky traps (anything with that pour-in attractant) far far away from your barn! I had a massive fly problem in my barn, called Spalding, and they told me to move those things out because they attract flies from 800ft away. Everyone (farrier, neighbors, vet, etc) was telling me to hang more of those traps in my barn! I did, so I was attracting every fly within an 800ft radius. Within 24 hours of moving them away from the barn, it cut my flies in half!
    I left the sticky traps up, which helped catch those still remaining.

I learned a lot about flies from calling Spalding. They were super helpful. Learning how the flies breed and spread helped me change all my practices and I dramatically reduced flies in a month.

Fans also help a lot. That is what they use in 2nd/3rd world countries that don't have access to pest control practices like we do in larger farms. My husband is a DVM with strong interests in infectious disease, so we're setting up a whole fan system to continuously move air through the barn. It only takes a 1-2mph of wind so flies can't land. A few strategically placed fans will all but eliminate flies and mosquitoes.

Anyone ever looked at this company?

www.rinconvitova.com

They sell fly predators at MUCH lower prices, along with something I'd never heard of : Hister beetles! They are ridiculously expensive, though, and I can't find any other online source. There is also apparently a deadly-to-flies fungus one can buy and spray around. I'm doing some more looking into that. Anything to add another weapon to my arsenal. My flies are never bad, but there are brief "blooms" after storms, etc. that make me want to always do more.