The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thread of CARHARTT

Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly,

I just got my first Carhartt jacket. It's stiff. It's bad-a$$. It's also Girly Rose color.

How long will it take to get soft?

Will it ever bleed its color?

How long will it live in general?

What else do I need to know?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm too short to wear the heavy Carhartt coats-they are stiff and I can't move in them. But a heavy weight Carhartt sweatshirt is my winter coat, with a rain jacket and vest over it. If you wear it every day in the winter and don't wash it it will soften up next winter. If you wear it occasionally and wash it once a week it will soften up by early fall. Oh yeah it will bleed its color, and reach that coveted "I work outside and I EARNED this faded Carhartt" state of perfectly worn and comfortable. If you don't use them around sharp things, like my husband does (tractors? cars? hay knives? hunting knives? I don't know how he does it but the fronts are always shredded) it will last you years and years. My kids have Carhartt coats and they outgrow them and the coats still look brand new and the kids do chores every day outside. DH gets about 4 years out of a Carhartt and he works in steel fab, hauls hay, works on stuff, hunts, ect lives in the coat every day for eight months of the year. It's good stuff but it's industrial strength clothing and it cares more that you're warm for years than if it's soft to the touch.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would have frozen to death many moons ago without my Carhartt coveralls. They are many years old, now faded with a large denim patch on my hay bale carrying leg. *first world whine* I do not want to go through the stiffness thing again. Unless they've loosened their standards, they are THE BEST work wear manufacturers on the planet. When I must replace my old ones I think I'll wash them many times and hang them on the line for days.

I have the baby-shite brownish orange jacket and bibs. They will lose a lot of stiffness, but takes time and washings.
    If you don't rip it on sharp stuff, it'll go on almost forever. Mine is about 5 years old, looks like the day I got it. Well, faded a bit. And mine gets worn hours daily all winter, every winter.
    They do retain some stiffness. I have to unzip mine halfway to drive in it, because when I sit down it doesn't wrinkle very well so it just "stands" on the truck seat. Which makes the collar taller than my face, LOL! So I unzip it to see where I'm going!

Always wondered what people driving behind me think:
    Is that the headless horseman???

The bibs stand up with or without me in them. First winter I walked like Gumby in those. But they're fine now. And so warm that if I wear those, I usually end up removing my jacket so I don't melt.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

3 members found this post helpful.

MistyBlue, your description had me howling in laughter! Especially of your "headless horseman" driving impression!

I know exactly that "headless horseman" problem-I've sat down many times and had my whole coat rise up around me... it's a weird feeling! Made a good laugh out of it, MB!

I got the girly lavender (coat) this year! So far, LOVIN' IT, stiffness and all!
    Last edited by Rallycairn; Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I absolutely love mine. My overalls are hand me downs from my niece. They are kids size large and I'm 35!

My two favorite pairs of jeans are also carhartt. Both are great fitting and are great quality.
    Last edited by rider25; Feb. 8, 2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typo

I have a pair of insulated bibs and a coat which I love! They are 11 years old and are still going strong.

Now that I'm in the frozen middle GA I really want some insulated coveralls! I thought maybe I could find some at Goodwill, but no luck...
    Y'all ain't right!

I have no neck, so I start out "the headless horseman" and I can relate to being strangled by the collar while driving.

I am trying not to wash my Carhartt until it needs it. It feels like cheating-- like the rubes who buy pre-torn jeans-- to wash it for softness. That has to earned.

And the Girly Rose color doesn't make dirt stand out.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Throw it on the ground and grind some dirt into it, like with a truck or tractor. Leave it outside to get rained on and sun-faded. Wash only when it moves on it's own. Repeat regularly. In a couple of years it may approach softness. It will last many, many years after that with regular abuse.

Love my Carhartts!! I even set the bibs slightly on fire once and they are still going strong. I look kind of like my diaper is full when I wear them, but I don't care. I'm WARM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Sierra trading post online always has great deals.I paid $29 for my jacket and $17 for my vest(bought 2)

I bought a different brand I got from Cabela's. They are quilted and softer but yes, the only thing to wear when it's cold as blazes outside. I don't have the headless horseman problem because I am tall. However, I am wide, so I look like a quilted black Oompa Loompa.

What I have -Black insulated coveralls from Cabela's http://www.cabelas.com/mens-bibs-pan...FUkw4AodrwoAvg

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I have Once black insulated coveralls. Several years old. My dear husband wanted me to throw them out after the deer attack last year (they were pretty bloody and have a hole right through the left thigh, in the front, out the back,) but I couldn't bear the thought of breaking in a new set, so they got washed thoroughly and are back in daily use.

Around here our local Carhartt supplier holds a contest. The person who brings in the most destroyed, well worn and close to death garment wins a free one. They are all displayed for public viewing and voting of the winner. It is a truly impressive tribute to ruggedness. Carhartt rules.
    Snowline Sport Horses
    http://www.snowlinesporthorses.com
    Breeder of Hanoverian horses

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Oh yeah it will bleed its color, and reach that coveted "I work outside and I EARNED this faded Carhartt" state of perfectly worn and comfortable.
    I cheated! My neighbor's were having a yard sale. I went over to browse. They had a box, under a table, with two old faded soft worn Carhartt jackets in it. I was fingering them - you know like good leather feels to finger - and the neighbor lady said oh those are free if you want them!

An old horse breeder friend of mine pointed to the tattered sleeve bottom when I was wearing one of them and asked me (in his heavy thick European brogue accent) "You sell a horse you gonna buy a new coat?"

Best thing has been said for new Carhartts - wet them, lay them in the gravel drive and drive back and forth over them.

another Carhartt tidbit. I had a friend here in town who was French I asked her what everyone wanted her to bring back for them when she made trips home, you know, what's the most requested item??? she said Carhartt's.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I bought a men's Carhartt chore coat in 1985. That ugly brownish color with the wool blanket liner. Admittedly I have desk job so I don't wear it every day, but it remains my go-to coat for staying warm, regardless of whether it's wet, cold or windy.

After all these years, the cuffs are starting to fray a little.