The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boot trees for parlantis?

The boot trees that I currently have for my off the rack parlantis are plastic Ariat ones that work by using a spring to keep the boots shape. However, I've begun to get a little worried because I've heard several people say that you shouldn't use boot trees in parlantis, or at least not this type. Does anyone have opinions on this? I really don't like the idea of having no trees at all in them, so what kind should I get? Thanks everybody

I use the mountain horse ones that you blow up with air. I feel like they give a more complete "filling" of the boot and are less likely to stress the zipper. You don't have to blow them up 100% of the way full.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

blow up ones like vxf said or try pool noodles. I actually still have the ones that I made from newspaper and tape that I made in Pony Club when I was younger. They are the best.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've always heard not to use boot trees in parlantis, just a some rolled newspaper to keep them straight.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Thanks for starting this thread. I too, am naughty and use plastic trees currently, but wrap some newspaper around them, in my Parlantis. I think I may buy a pair of the mountain horse trees. Much cheaper than the Parlanti trees.

The mountain horse ones might be worth a shot! I'm mainly worried about stretching out the boots as they really fit beautifully around my calf right now. I think pool noodles might be too wide around, but I can see if I could find some. Someone also told me that ariat boots come with foam trees/inserts now, does anyone where i could maybe find something like that? Although I suppose those would be very similar to the inflatables and pool noodles...

Hunterrider that's what I'd heard from a few people as well, but I worry that they'll wrinkle, especially in the ankle, with the leather being so soft

I've always hear that anything with springs would stretch it, bit I think you'd be fine with a tree that did not push the leather or just enough newspaper to keep the ankle straight, but none in the calf.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you supposed to use boot trees in them?

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why aren't you supposed to use boot trees in them?
    It stretches the calf and the elastic panel because the leather is so soft and meant to stretch to fit your calf, and it will end up too big on you if you have spring trees in them for too long.