The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To show, do I need tall boots or can I use Tredsteps (type) leather chaps?

I am planning to show at schooling dressage shows and later some real shows and BN events this spring/summer/fall?
    Do I need a pair of field or dressage boots? Or can I get a pair of leather half chaps, like Tredsteps, and use them with the paddock boots I have?
    I ride now in a pair of suede chaps but they are too scuffed up to even go to a schooling show with.

For rec. shows, you can use leather half chaps like the tredsteps. They need to be all leather. Some of them can look as good as tall boots. I've shown in them before.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I compete with my La Mundial 1/2 chaps and a pair of paddock boots most people think I have on tall boots...as long as they are all leather .

A student of mine has treadsteps. They are, by my definition, smooth leather (aka not suede.) They do have a bit of a pebble texture to them.

At her first HT we sought the TD on Friday just to be sure they were okay, and everyone we ran into while looking for the TD said, "oh, no. these are NOT smooth leather." We found the TD who said "yes, of course, these are fine."

Just FYI, you may want to be sure so if you're walking into dressage and someone calls you out, you can say "I've already checked with the TD."

2nd this - always ask the TD. the zipper on my tall boots split as i was getting ready for xc and i panicked and ran to the TD. had the same tall tredsteps - no problem