The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Own two Volvo's and had a Subaru ('00 240 wagon 200K+ miles and '05 870 sedan). Early Volvos rock, later ones not so much. The current line is very spendy to fix.

Got the '05 870 for $3,600 a year or so ago, but needed to put new tires and $$$ into it. Careful for what model year, some much better than others.

Check out the Volvo forums. Here is one:

http://forums.swedespeed.com

Having to change tires is not indicative of the quality of the car. You do need to change tires regularly on ANY car!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

People comparing VT snow to southern show reminded me of my grad school advisor's Volvo. Every winter when it got fairly consistently cold, the dang thing would refuse to go. Apparently "rescuing advisor's car" was in the job description for grad students, b/c we would all go out there and push his car someplace. The running joke in the group was that they must last so long b/w in Sweden it is so cold that they wouldn't run much of the year.

But the old ones do seem to go forever. My brother bought one a number of years ago that didn't look all that great cosmetically but it has run and run. It probably helps that one of his sons is studying to be an auto mechanic. It's not super reliable now, years later, but the auto mechanic son drives it and can usually deal with whatever it hands out.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Am I the only one with problems from a Volvo? Im waiting for everyone to pileon saying I had to replace (everything) but no one has.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

The only issue mine has is I can't go very far without needing to replace a light bulb.

I come from a Volvo family. My dad has been a Volvo dealer for over 50 years. I have driven everything from the 240 to my current XC60 awd (and everything inbetween). My son has over twelve years as a Volvo technician. I ran your questions by him and he said the S60awd, '03 or newer, is a very nice car but to avoid the "R"series. Depending on the amount of snow, the S60 front wheel drive could do nicely as well. He also recommends the XC70-Cross Country but NOT the '01 or '02. He said the '03 and '04 XC70 has the Haldex awd system and it is very reliable. He also recommended the XC90 awd, but only the 5 cylinder, not the T6.

The price of used cars is very high right now, so finding a mechanically sound Volvo for $3,500 is going to be hard. He said you might consider looking at a Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee 4wd. They don't have the safety ratings of the Volvo but are available and reasonably priced.

My husband has had NO problems with the R he drives AND he bought it used. But it had been maintained all along by the same Volvo whisperer we have been dealing with.

Volvo is on my list for when my 110k mile audi bites the dust.
    I've nothing useful to add except in the early-mid 90s my neighbors had a Volvo station wagon and lived on the top of a hill with a steep driveway. Their teenage son forgot to apply the parking brake. The wagon rolled down the hill and smashed into a parked car. Not a dent on the volvo :-) a tank indeed!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Because college is so flippin $$$ I need to keep around 4000 & Im not seeing any 03 for that, does your family have any idead scaredacoops? So about an 01 or 02?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I'm thinking of trading in my 4Runner and am finding this thread really interesting.
    scaredacoops- how do you like your XC60? Is the back big enough for a lab?

1 members found this post helpful.

FalseImpression RE the "R" Model - Not a problem with the car, just that it's rather powerful and more car than a young driver needs. Just ask my other son who took the side off his when he punched it on a ramp getting onto a highway.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    I'm thinking of trading in my 4Runner and am finding this thread really interesting.
    We are probably going to buy the 60 to replace DH's aging Lexus. While I don't like paying the price (it's his money, anyway), I have to admit it's a hellavu nice SUV. I've only test drove it, but it was a dream to drive.

And yes, the back is big enough for a lab. A Saint Bernard will fit back there.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    I really love the XC60. I drove the XC90 before the 60 came out and wasn't sure how I'd like having less room. But, it's no problem. A lab would have no problem in the back. The back seats fold down to make an even larger cargo space for hauling things around. I can get a lot of bags of shavings back there! It's fun to drive in town or highway and very comfortable. Mine has the BLIS system which is a camera sensor warning of cars in or near your blind spot. I really like that feature.