The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can anyone comment on Paris Lafitte saddle?

My boyfriend is new to riding (but loves it) and has been looking for a used saddle- size 18/18.5. We went to a used tack store and he sat in all the saddles that they had in his size and felt that this one was most comfortable- it seemed to fit him OK (like me he has a long femur). They are asking $225.00 for it (He can afford to spend more if need be but we'd prefer to get something used for say $1200 or less). He is going to ride in it at his next lesson to see what his trainer thinks (he lives 4 hours North of me). My concern about the saddle is that the padding for the horse seems kind of hard (compared to my saddle which is an Ainsley pro national). And the amount of saddle in contact with the horse seems less (so less comfortable for the horse?). Assuming the trainer thinks the saddle is OK for him, he is going to bring it down next weekend to try on the horse that he will be getting when I move North.

I'd appreciate anyone who can comment on this saddle for the horse and for the rider.

http://www.tackwholesale.com/product...5j7ld0id0dedo0

I had a paris tack bridle where the leather was cheap, basically painted which flaked off after two rides. I wasn't expecting great quality but I did expect it to look somewhat decent for more than a few days. I don't know about the saddles though, they might not use the same coating/process/leather.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

No

Everything you've stated about the saddle fit for the horse re-enforces the above

This Wintec would be a far better option
    Rick's always has some good deals on saddles - nice as you can have a trial; Bucks County Saddlery & Pelham usually have a good range in used saddles

Off the table. Trainer thought it was too small for bf. It's so hard to find a bigger saddle (e.g 18- 19). Hope we find something that works for bf and horsie!

Middleburg Tack Exchange has a number of 19" saddles in both close contact and all purpose that are in your price range. One of the AP's is a Crosby Olympia. I have one in and 18". It is a pretty comfortable saddle. Not overly deep, has a bit of a knee roll without to much but still offers enough support for cross country. It doesn't fit my horse since he is a nightmare fit but it is a decent saddle. The Sofride listed is pretty close to the Olympia, I think it is the newer version of the Olympia.
    Middleburg Tack Exchange shipped me a saddle to try and they were great to work with.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    Middleburg Tack Exchange has a number of 19" saddles in both close contact and all purpose that are in your price range. One of the AP's is a Crosby Olympia. I have one in and 18". It is a pretty comfortable saddle. Not overly deep, has a bit of a knee roll without to much but still offers enough support for cross country. It doesn't fit my horse since he is a nightmare fit but it is a decent saddle. The Sofride listed is pretty close to the Olympia, I think it is the newer version of the Olympia.
    Middleburg Tack Exchange shipped me a saddle to try and they were great to work with.
    Thanks for your post. We are trying to look locally first to avoid the expense of shipping back and forth when trying saddles from far afield (we are in CA). But if we can't find something locally we'll give it a try.

Also, the Circuit Classic is a decent little saddle for $700 new and it comes in a 19".

Wintecs are awesome and comfortable, many come with adjustable billet systems, and come in larger sizes. I had a 18.5" wintec saddle and it was fabulous.