The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Anyone modified their old CC saddle?

My charming daughter just bought a Northrun cc saddle for $40. Saddle is sound in every way. I was toying w/the thought of having some pencil knee rolls added; maybe even modify the flap depending on cost. It's fine how it is but she'd appreciate a little support, I think, given that she usually rides in a dressage saddle (aka catcher's mitt).

Has anyone had modifications done to an old PDN? Or other CC saddle? Were you happy w/it or regretful?? Your thoughts appreciated.

Modifications can be made, but just how greatly it can be modified will depend on the saddle itself. Normally, if a saddle has knee and/or calf blocks, the flap is cut accordingly, so adding blocks under a flap that wasn't cut to accommodate them can be tricky. You can often add minimal blocks, but nothing large. And as far as modifying the flap, most can be shortened, but just how much will depend on the length of the sweat flap. Can't do much with flap set, unfortunately.

If you want to get an estimate and an idea of what can be done, contact Patty Barnett at saddledr@aol.com. She does lovely work.

1 members found this post helpful.

Adding knee rolls can be done. I think adding pads to the flaps can be done as well. There are several old threads with links to saddle repair places that can do just about whatever you want to a saddle for a price. It's won't be cheap, though.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Thanks for the info. Moot point though. DD's super find doesn't fit anyone in the barn. Narrow tree. eBay here we come. :-/

As far as I know, the Northruns had spring trees. If it's in decent shape, the tree can probably be widened up to a medium. Usually costs a couple hundred dollars or so.

Years ago I had my Hartley Galaxie modified with small blocks/knee rolls. When I started eventing I realized just how flat it was!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.