The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cross Posting:Pennfield Feeds?

Does anyone feed them? Good, bad, ugly? When I move Nemo back "home" I'm thinking of switching him (haven't decided to which yet) from Strategy Healthy Edge as I like what I've read so far. He is a hard keeper who needs something with high fat and low protein as he's rather sensitive/hot. Thanks for the input!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Bump, anyone?
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I have fed Pennfield for quite awhile now (5ish years?). Love them. I am super happy with them. I have fed quite a few of there feeds, and have been impressed with all of them. Currently, I feed Fibergized Omega, their ration balancer (it has changed names and I can never remember it), and a wee bit of Grand Prix Granola.

I LOVE the Fibergized Omega for hard keepers. It has done terrific things for the ones in my barn.

I've been feeding Pennfield for around 5 years too. I find the Fibergized Omega superior to the Purina Senior I used to feed. I also feed the ration balance (Ultra?) to several horses, love that too. Feed the pelleted 10/6 for maintenance, the 10/10 for those who need more to maintain good weight. They have I think around 25 different feeds to choose from?

Customer service is superior, quality of feed is consistent and fresh, but I do get over 30 bags a month, so I have a good turnover. The delivery guy/driver I have right now is super. My farm was established before the Civil War, so it can be very difficult to maneuver a large rig. This guy is dang good, and stacks the feed neatly where indicated every time, and makes sure he closes all doors after. Simple, but important things to me. I keep trying to give him a Christmas bonus, but by the time I see him, he is on his way out. Apparently, my 'watch dogs' don't see someone who brings feed regularly as a threat silly dogs.

I've run the numbers, and Pennfield is also cheaper than the other major brands, and also cheaper than TSC's Dumor. That might not be important to a single owner, but it is to us Barn owner/managers. YMMV
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Thanks guys! Sounds like Fiberfized Omega it is! Does anyone know what it retails for per bag?

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Quote Originally Posted by TatteredDaydreamer View Post
    Thanks guys! Sounds like Fiberfized Omega it is! Does anyone know what it retails for per bag?
    On 1/28/12 I paid $18.92 a bag. The prices do fluctuate, as they go by what the current ingredients are going for on the open market, I think.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

That's right near the pricepoint of what I was paying, nice! I'm excited to start feeding it to my guy.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

In NOVA it is closer to $24.

That being said, it is far, far cheaper to feed as you will likely feed far less. I ran the numbers a year ago. The farm I manage was feeding the local Tri County feed. I drastically reduced the feed bill when I switched to Pennfield (went from 10 bags, at least, every week, to an average of 10 bags every TWO weeks. Substantial savings). So, don't let the per bag cost scare you too much. It is worth it and you will, more likely than not, feed far, far less, and need far less extras. I had horses getting 12lbs or more of the Tri County stuff, PLUS beet pulp, plus fat sups. All of those are now down in the 6 to 9lb range with no extra beet pulp.