The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pennfield Feeds?

Does anyone feed them? Good, bad, ugly? When I move Nemo back "home" I'm thinking of switching him (haven't decided to which yet) from Strategy Healthy Edge as I like what I've read so far. He is a hard keeper who needs something with high fat and low protein as he's rather sensitive/hot. Thanks for the input!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Bump
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I feed Pennfields and have had good results with it.

Currently feeding Senior to one horse and Fibrogized Omega to my own horse but I am switching another boarder over to the senior too.

I'm hoping others will chime in. I think Tami(?) works for Pennfields and will offer some insight.

Yes, thank you! Bumping up for more experiences.

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

I put my OTTB gelding on the Fibergized Omega when my vet said he was just a tad thinner than she likes to see them.... in less than a month he really filled in, shined up and overall improved...... except for the way it froze into a big chunk, I really liked it alot!!

I have been feeding their Ultra Ration Balancer for about 9 months now. I am happy with it.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Not sure what the future holds for Pennfield at this time. They declared bankruptcy in 2012 and were just purchased by Cargill.

http://www.cargill.com/news/releases/2013/NA3070567.jsp

I've always heard very good things about their feed, but the problem here in Central Florida was nobody carried them. You had to go 50+ miles to get it and the dealer that did carry it was only opened until 5 weekdays, so you pretty much had to commit your Saturday to buying feed. When you work and have other stuff to do it just isn't feasible. Maybe this new company will expand their market.

I had good luck with their products, but when Booth Feeds closed in Warrenton I couldn't find a ready source anymore and switched to the Tri-County custom blends.

There are other threads about the Cargill purchase -- it doesn't appear that the quality or availability of Pennfield will be affected. I switched from Ultium to Fibregized Omega, and it's really helped my horse put on weight. His topline is even filling out. He's a picky eater, and he thinks it's quite tasty. It does clump up a lot, especially in the winter, so I add just enough water to moisten it so he won't choke.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Switched my OTTB gelding over to Fibregized from TC Senior this past summer, not because I was unhappy with the TC but because the Fibregized for me is easier to get and a little cheaper. He's doing great and there was absolutely no change in his behavior whatsoever. He's not particularly picky but he loves it!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I fed Grand Prix Granola and Fibergized. I loved them both and the horse did too

I fed them while in VA and moving to central FL was a pain in the A$$ because of distance and times open. I made it work though...
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"