The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question The physics of falls and impact video?

Suggestions of a video model explanation of the basic laws of physics? Even better would be one that has the visuals of different ways to change the push back force of impact. I have to learn the right terms to use to ask this question.
    I'm thinking curves and rolling, or stiletto heel point, lawn dart or bullet axial loading.

The other part of the question is if one is falling, how does one maneuver in the air to avoid either landing on one's rump or head? I think that is "axial loading"?
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Quote Originally Posted by whicker View Post
    Suggestions of a video model explanation of the basic laws of physics? Even better would be one that has the visuals of different ways to change the push back force of impact. I have to learn the right terms to use to ask this question.
    I'm thinking curves and rolling, or stiletto heel point, lawn dart or bullet axial loading.

The other part of the question is if one is falling, how does one maneuver in the air to avoid either landing on one's rump or head? I think that is "axial loading"?

What are you trying to figure out? Then we can work on the terminology. The maneuver in air to avoid your head or butt is simply "tuck and roll." It changes the moment of inertia about your center of mass.

Bristol University has a good presentation about rotational falls (Tim Deans and Martin Herbert did the research as part of their graduate work).

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, Reed!
    I sent you a p.m.
    Intermediate Riding Skills