The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blizzard Nemo food! What's cookin?

Its coming down here in Jersey and we brought in more firewood and lit the fire. Time to plan a good meal! What are you cooking on this blustery winter day? Recipes welcomed

A lovely piece of grilled salmon, and my Mom's Brussels-sprout anomaly (don't know what else to call it!)

Paleo lovers ten-HUT!:

(1) Melt some of yesterday's bacon fat in a good-size frying pan.
    (2) Wash as many B. Sprouts as you want and cut them in half.
    (3) Fry them cut-side down in the bacon fat until they start to
    wiggle around (really!) and brown. Flip 'em once.
    (4) Add about 1/4" of water and a teaspoonful of powdered beef bouillon, or a full cup of bouillon from a cube if you have that.
    (5) Cover and let sizzle until Sprouts take up all the broth.
    (6) Serve in a soup bowl, eat while piping hot.

So good you won't BELIEVE it's a VEGETABLE!

This morning I baked a "financier" (almond powder, egg whites cake) and made a crème anglaise to go with it.
    Tonight we'll have leftover pasta and a big salad with pan-fried chicken.

Crossing fingers that we won't lose power. We really need to get a gas stove, one of these days...then we'll be all set.
    Tomorrow on the menu: waterzooie.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Chicken enchildas suiza (the kind with tomatillo sauce) as long as we still have power...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Has snowed all night here and all day, is just letting up and now we have the winds...Mr. Horseymum requested shepherds pie so we will go with that with a lovely salad with pumpkin seeds, cranberries etc. did a bit of baking so a little of that for dessert then some hot chocolate as little miss horseymum spent the day at the barn with her pony and is now playing in the snow with dad. (man I wish I had her energy level)

We're getting around a foot here, which is no big deal for us, but the winds are high and blowing it around quite a bit, which will make visibility nil tonight. I usually do my week's grocery shopping on Friday night, so I went to the store at lunch hour instead. There was no one there.

I've been on a diet so tonight I'm going to treat myself to homemade pizza, with low-fat mozarrella, serrano ham, artichoke hearts, onions and red peppers, and ratatouille on the side.

I'm trying this recipe out because it looks like a good dinner for sitting on the couch in front of the fire! http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maind...icornbread.htm

Chili and rice is always my go to blizzard food! I cooked up a bunch in the crock pot for mini minion and myself tonight... it's a girl's weekend around here, so when she goes to bed I'm popping open the wine as well!

Extra plus because I have the whole bottle to myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Whole wheat bread ... Yum!

I made a Mexican chicken stew in the crockpot. It filled the house with delicious smells all day and tastes just as good.

I bought the crockpot because if we loose power, it can be used with our generator. Crockpots don't draw a lot of power!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I cooked yesterday and made a huge frying pan full of ground beef, rice and green peppers. Knew today would be a long day pushing white crap so didn't want to cook when I came in, so two minutes in the microwave and I will have a nice hot supper.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I made a Mexican chicken stew in the crockpot. It filled the house with delicious smells all day and tastes just as good.

I bought the crockpot because if we loose power, it can be used with our generator. Crockpots don't draw a lot of power!
    That sounds delish! Do share the recipe...please!
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

I made fajitas and had salad. Earlier today I baked M&M cookies. That's about it for me (I live alone) but if I have power tomorrow I might make pancakes.

I live in FL, so not dealing with the crazy cold weather, but I wanted to share this amazingly yummy spicy chicken soup! Maybe it is similar to Bogie's?

Crock Pot Mexican chicken soup

2.5-3 lbs chicken breasts
    Garlic salt
    Pepper
    Cayenne
    Paprika
    1 sweet onion
    1 can cream of mushroom
    1 jar of salsa (whatever heat you like, I used medium)
    1 small jar of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
    1/2 cup light sour cream

Put in the chicken, then seasonings mentioned above to taste. Put in chopped sweet onion. Pour on can of cream of mushroom, then jar of salsa, then entire can of chipotle peppers. Put on low for 6-7 hours. Stir about 5 hours in to shred the chicken (you don't have to, since most falls apart by itself but this helps out) Then 20 minutes before serving stir in the sour cream. I also add a dollop of sour cream once in serving bowls for presentation

so so good you must try!!!
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

1 members found this post helpful.

I've always wondered why people get cravings for French Toast during storms.

How else to explain the rush on bread, eggs and milk. What else can you make with that?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I will be simmering beef stew and home-made tator soup on Sunday and MOnday as we are to get hit with rain/freezing rain/ and snow then.

Mine's a bit different (DH is on a diet so no creamed soup or sour cream) but with similarities. Might add the chipotle next time. That sounds great!:

Chicken breasts
    Salsa verde
    two onions
    one pepper
    2 cans of corn and pepper
    two tablespoons of Mexican Fiesta (it's a mixed spice from Whole Foods)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

I put the onions in first, the chicken breasts, the pepper, the Mexican seasoning and the Salsa Verde. Cook on high for 4-5 hours. Add the corn about 1.5 hours before serving.

Top with pepper jack cheese!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I was inspired by the Mexican Chicken meals here to throw together a Crockpot Mexican Mishmosh this AM. Chicken breasts, shallots (no onions in da house), garlic, a can each of enchilada sauce, crushed tomatillos, Rotel brand tomato and green chile tomato sauce, Campbell's Cheddar Cheese soup (in my cupboard forever-time to go), Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles, and some cut up red taters. I'm usually more of a stove cook than a crockpot cook, but I'm liking the idea of good smells when we come in from shoveling out

I'm thinking I'll chuck in a glug of beer later when DH pops one open

Those both sound delish! Thanks for sharing!

I have a head of cabbage that I need to use and came across this recipe for Oven Roasted Cabbage that looks go-od! And only 3 ingredients

http://sweetannas.com/2013/02/oven-roasted-cabbage.html

I'm doing this tonight with the Mexican Mishmosh or tomorrow with roast pork