The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ISO ex polo ponies where to find

I am looking for an ex polo pony to play polocrosse on. I know there are inexpensive ones out there and see them occasionally at auction (not in person but online) If they are willing to dump these seemingly decent and sound horses at auction I figure there is someone out there willing to outright sell. I am on a definite budget, trying to stay under $1000 maybe a little more for the perfect horse. Does anyone know where I could find such a horse? I know there are polo schools and such who must have some that they retire. Just not sure Where!
    Was not sure where exactly to post this.

Contact the college polo teams. That's probably your best bet.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Here you go:

http://squirrelwoodequinesanctuaryin...olohorses.html

I have seen this group pull polo horses from auction and brokers to rehome.

1 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps contact The Work to Ride program. They have gotten donated horses in the past , they may know where you could look.

http://www.worktoride.net/stage/
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

there is a really nice ex polo pony that was just posted on the RACE Fund Facebook page
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Perhaps contact The Work to Ride program. They have gotten donated horses in the past , they may know where you could look.

http://www.worktoride.net/stage/
    And perhaps you can contact the high school programs as well...Culver, Garrison Forest and Work to Ride. But I would start with the college programs.

Ah, you're in MD, OP, I just noticed. You need to PM Sportinghorsepolo, I'll be she can help you get hooked up.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Feb. 8, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Another good way is to put the word out with nearby clubs. The US Polo Association has a map and club listing: http://www.us-polo.org/index.php/clubs/clubs-by-state

Just be aware that most polo players tend to only get rid of horses (particularly that cheaply) for two reasons: horses are too old or lame to compete at the owner's level of play, or they have a serious behavioral problem. Schools and programs that've received ponies as donations tend to get rid of them for the same reasons. That's something which can really impact your post-purchase costs, since you mentioned being on a budget, so shop carefully. Your best bet might be finding a player who is willing to retire an older-but-still-sound horse to a good home and less-demanding job.
    ---------------------------

2 members found this post helpful.

That is what I am hoping for, an older horse who might not be cutting it at the current level of play. Not sure how it works in polo, but in polocrosse if we have one who cant handle the current level but is still sound they are often passed down, sometimes lease, sometimes bought, sometimes borrowed, to someone playing at a lower level. Most horses who are good at polocrosse and still sound, tend to stay in the game.

That's exactly how it works in polo, too, which is why it's so hard to find a sound, sane polo pony at a reasonable price! They're worth their weight in gold, especially for older or more timid players. But, I know there are some owners out there like me, and I sure hope you find one. I retired my old guy when he stopped accelerating when I moved the reins up his neck a couple of inches. Most people I knew thought I was nuts not to play him until he dropped dead. He was a grand old man who gave every game his all, and I knew that was his sign it was getting hard for him. I found a great free lease for him with lighter work and they had a wonderful time together for 3 or 4 more years, until he indicated he was ready to retire completely.

I hope networking with players in your area lands you with a great option or two. Who knows--you asking might well prompt someone to retire a horse early. Win/win.
    ---------------------------

I kind of thought that is how it might be. That is why I have had trouble finding a polocrosse horse within our network to play on. They hang onto them and pass them around till they are too old or used up to play anymore.
    I have had to semi retire 2 of my older girls. Even though I play at lower level it is still a lot of running and turning. the one mare's heart was just no longer in it. She totes my tiny little ones around and lets them play off her at the walk trot and is happy to do so. My other was still very into the game but arthritis just did not allow her to stay sound. I had hoped to let my little ones play on her walk trot but she developed a cateract and lost vision in one eye which is a no go for tournaments. She still teaches the kiddies at home.