The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Holy crap.... I'm turning 30 in a few weeks!

So at the end of this month I will be turning 30. And I can't help but wonder... Now what? I would love to go back to school, but can't seem to pick my major. Not to mention I can't afford it right now. But I am also single... Very single... I haven't been in a relationship in 5 years. And I have only been on a handful of terrible dates. LOL

So I sit here wondering (and mildly panicking). Where is my life going? And what do I do now?

Any one else going through or been through this? Thoughts? Suggestions? (Even if it's only for a good bottle of wine...lol)
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Quote Originally Posted by Showjumper28 View Post
    So at the end of this month I will be turning 30. And I can't help but wonder... Now what? I would love to go back to school, but can't seem to pick my major. Not to mention I can't afford it right now. But I am also single... Very single... I haven't been in a relationship in 5 years. And I have only been on a handful of terrible dates. LOL

So I sit here wondering (and mildly panicking). Where is my life going? And what do I do now?

Any one else going through or been through this? Thoughts? Suggestions? (Even if it's only for a good bottle of wine...lol)
    Panic?
    What ever the heck for?

Chances are, the coming decade will be your best ever yet to come!

besides....you won't be a different person just because the number in the age bracket changed....

Congratulations! Celebrate and enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

my suggestion is quit trying to make your life fit into some box of key performance indicators and live it the way that feels right to you.
    Who cares if you're single! If you don't like it, well go change it.
    Who cares if you don't have some big corporate job! If you don't like it, then go change it

Who I thought I'd be when I turned 30 and who I wound up being were two different things. I thought I'd be married and working part time to support my horses while the husband won the bread.... yet I am in a 4 year relationship with my boyfriend, I'm the breadwinner with the big career, and he ponders the same things you are constantly. While I'd prefer he knew his path a bit better and was a bit further down the road, I'm cool with how else things turned out. I've "exceeded my expectations" for my self in my career, my riding, and who I am today

ETA: the only downside I've encountered to being in my 30's is I constantly forget how old I am!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Holy crap! I'm turning 65 this month and am now on Medicare and officially old. And, my life is better than it ever has been.

Look forward to each day and enjoy it to the fullest. Have a very Happy Birthday and don't worry about what may come. It will happen, whether you worry or not.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    my suggestion is quit trying to make your life fit into some box of key performance indicators and live it the way that feels right to you.
    Who cares if you're single! If you don't like it, well go change it.
    Who cares if you don't have some big corporate job! If you don't like it, then go change it

Who I thought I'd be when I turned 30 and who I wound up being were two different things. I thought I'd be married and working part time to support my horses while the husband won the bread.... yet I am in a 4 year relationship with my boyfriend, I'm the breadwinner with the big career, and he ponders the same things you are constantly. While I'd prefer he knew his path a bit better and was a bit further down the road, I'm cool with how else things turned out. I've "exceeded my expectations" for my self in my career, my riding, and who I am today

ETA: the only downside I've encountered to being in my 30's is I constantly forget how old I am!
    yeah, right!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I can commiserate somewhat. I turned 31 in Sept and the whole 30's decade has been a bit of a shock to me. In my mind, I'm still in my mid-20s, so when I realize that, no, I'm actually 31 now, it's a bit depressing. haha!

I've spent the last 4 years changing jobs, trying to sell a house, buying land and trying to build a new house, so things have felt sort of unsettled. And since the real estate market has been so cooperative, it's taken way longer for some of these things to happen than I originally imagined I am married... but besides that, I thought I'd feel more settled at this point in my life. I kinda don't know what to do with myself or what I want to be when I grow up. All of the people my age are popping out babies like it's going out of style so I feel like I don't have much in common with them right now. I've got a new-ish horse that I purchased last spring but haven't been able to work with him much until I can move him to our new property. Can't do that until we can get a house built. So it's been like playing the waiting game on most everything I've wanted to do. The last few years have really felt strange so I can totally relate. Guess that's just life.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

LOL

I think the panic comes from still not knowing at all what I want to be when I grow up! I would love my career to be in horses, but there is no money in that! Lol Except the money I spend, that is...
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

LOL

I think the panic comes from still not knowing at all what I want to be when I grow up! I would love my career to be in horses, but there is no money in that! Lol Except the money I spend, that is...
    you want to grow up?
    tsk tsk tsk.....

Oh, SIT DOWN.

Today is my 31st birthday. I don't have everything in my life figured out, but I have decided that I'm totally ok with that.

You'll survive your 30th birthday, just like I did. And in 10 years when you freak out about turning 40, you'll remember how awesome 30 was and wonder why you panicked.
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.

I just turned 31. I told my doc last year that I didn't like turning 30 because highlighting my hair doesn't get all the greys now, I now have wrinkles that don't go away with a little bit of moisturizer, I developed eczema on my face and index fingers of all places, and I managed to gain 10 pounds that isn't going away.

BUT. You have two complaints, and one helps the other. School is easy, just dooooooo it. Pick something useful, business, accounting, management. Or something in your field. And the single part means you can probably qualify for more financial aid. I'm planning for grad school, organizational leadership/management. Sounds boring, but it'll get me some promotions.

What do you do now? No specifics if you don't want, but job? pleasure? riding? barn life? I met DH through horses, though we do different disciplines. Maybe try expanding that? Go to multi-discipline fun shows?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

72 here. The best of your life lies ahead. Enjoy it!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

1 members found this post helpful.

Default I still don't know what i want to be when I grow up - LOL

LOL

I think the panic comes from still not knowing at all what I want to be when I grow up!
    And I have almost two decades on you. :-)

One of the best ways of looking at things I've ever run across is to take opportunities as they arise and follow your nose - no telling what adventure it may lead you on (within reason, of course, gotta be safe and all that).

Here's a site that my health insurance turned me on to recently: mindbloom.com. It's a good place to start sorting out what's important and what could/should be priorities. Try it out...

I turned 30 in November. The other side really isn't that bad. It's very similar actually.

Maybe you should try reading the online dating thread? It didn't really work for me but I have a plethora of friends who met their spouse online.

Shut up. I hate you!!!
    Love,
    An old lady

I'll be 30 in August. Guess I haven't really given it much thought. I try not to base life off of age "milestones". I still have no idea what I "want to be when I grow up", lol. Right now I have an office job that pays the bills & lets me have my horses. Just got married last year. Now people are starting to ask about kids. No hurry there either, the time will come for that. My big focus this year is to finally get back into eventing now that I have a horse for it. And save up for a new home.

Guess my advice from somebody turning 30 this year too is not to let it bother you! Just go on living, and don't think about the number.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I loved loved loved my thirties. I would stop worrying and start enjoying. I met my husband in my late thirties, we got married in my forties. In my thirties I finally was truly comfortable in my own skin, knew really what I wanted to do, and I think that is why I met my husband when I did. Relax and enjoy your birthday, your thirties are probably going to be wonderful.

I should be turning 30 again.......sigh!
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!